I Need Recommendation for 18650 protected Batteries for Solar Panel

Hi everyone,

I Ordered a Security Camera with Solar Panel and it requires 6 18650 batteries.

Any recommendations for good reliable batteries (not too pricey) and a place to order from?

Are you sure the device itself does not contain battery protection?

Orbtronic are known to be the best.

1 Thank

I’m not sure, but better to be safe…

I did see a recommendation somewhere not to double up on protection circuits, I can’t find the link right now… I’m also looking for set of batteries for a project so I’m subscribed to this thread

Protected cells might be too long for your holder – better check that — Are you gonna have these cells in a place that gets very hot or cold — Li-ion doesn’t like either – short life

If you were close I could hook you up with some cells to try out first

1 Thank

It would be really weird if your camera didn’t come with those batteries. So few things even use loose 18650s these days. Its all built to the thing, proprietary, or LiPo. Something like a security camera even using 18650s, and needing you to buy 6 loose ones, nevermind 6 protected 18650s, in 2023, makes no sense. Even if it did use 6 18650s it you would never want an individual protection circuit over each. It’ll have one BMS that just covers all 6.

I did find 1 security camera online that looks rebranded by a few different companies that may or may not use 6*18650s, there’s no pictures of the battery compartment and a few different cells are mentioned by a few different sellers, but they’re included with the camera except for the Alibaba seller. But none of them ask for protected cells.

1 Thank

I’ve been using Panasonic 18650 protected cells in some solar sensor lights. Each light has two cells in parallel. They get exposed to some extreme temps but seem to work okay. The same as these Panasonic NCR18650-B 3400mAh 10A Battery - Protected Button Top

1 Thank