I'd like to pose a question to the experts...

Ok, that seems to be the consensus…

Your only experience with a flashlight is a Jacob A60? With the P60 you won't have throw if that is what you want. From what distances you want to shine on people's eyes?

You have a link to a review or anything on the german builders p60?

I want overwhelming brightness with as much throw as physically possible. Distance: up close and personal, but also a far reaching throw for searching. Up to 1000 feet?

But in a small package that can be weapon mounted? The I recommend a C8, not P60 lights, they can have al lot of brightness if you buy one of those copper modules, but won't throw as a C8.

Look, the a60 will light up the side of a building a thousand feet away- I’ve done it myself. But it lacks the disorienting brightness of other lights I have- I want both in one light.

This is a C8 in the hand, weapon mountable, http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5456/8798370262_febd09352f_c.jpg

The P60 will not come close to 1000 feet.

I’m NOT a fan of P60 style lights (because in my opinion, heatsinking is insufficient) although they may meet your criteria.

Would you REALLY need lots of throw? (> 100m?) If you have to engage someone with a weapon and have to shoot, arn’t you supposed to do so within a particular range? (I’m just guessing here)

An XM-L LED produces a LOT of light and that in particular is what you need. The shock of someone in the dark, being suddenly surprised and blinded by a bright light is what works. I know some high priced lights have specific strobe patterns to most effectively disorientate people however, (and I’m pretty sure many BLF members will agree,) most common strobe patterns are a lot more annoying in your eyes than a constant beam.

With actual size of the flashlight, again others who have used weapons will chime in here but there are other alternatives to a P60 style light that uses a drop in pill. Example. Esample2

Yes. For more throw, the bigger the reflector, the better.

Is that the famous XinTD C8?

Nah… This is!

Yes, definately. If I am clearing a building, weapon drawn, I am not going to shoot you from a 1000 ft away, I want a dazzling bright light on you up close so maybe I get the edge on you and take you out. But if you are running away across an empty lot 850 feet away from me, I want to turn that same light on you and still be able to light you up. You see what I’m trying to get at here?

When I was talking about the P60 I was talking specifically about the custom P60 owned by Scaru that was build by the German guy. Even that P60 would not have good throw, just would blind you up close. The C8 would be much better for throw. In the size light you want you can’t have both a thrower and a flooder, as in blind you up close and throw a thousand feet.

This leads to an issue with C8 lights, none of them have any forward clicky switch. 850 feet is impossible for a P60 light with lots of power, but it's quite hard to see past 200meters.

I had a feeling what I wanted just doesnt exist. Yet.

Forward Clicky! :slight_smile:

A light on strobe will blind and disorient you way better than constant light. If you are talking AR15 or something similar with a picatinny rail there is more that enough space to mount 2 lights, one flooder and one thrower.

But that’s partly the issue. I mean you could mod the A60 for more output, a heavily driven XM-L/2 but it probably wouldn’t throw as far.

An XP-G2 driven hard might make a good mix between output and throw. But that’s still in something A60 sized. If you make the reflector smaller (the entire torch smaller) then it’ll lose throw.

Multi emitter lights can throw quite well with highout, but they are usually bigger and may require multiple batteries.

A quality zoomy (maybe with a TIR optic) might do the trick, but there aren’t many high lumen output ones. Only a couple of Led Lensers with 650 lumens, but they are a long way away from budget prices.

I guess the question would then be what disorientingly bright lights do you currently have ?

I have lights that the lux is so high that you can't white wall hunt with them because the reflection is intense... But i don't think they will work since they are running multiple batteries and would be too heavy to mount to a gun .

Depending on what you want… quality or obnoxious light.

The XinTD is Top shelf quality, Bright but not as bright as the LM C8.
The LM C8 is brighter than the XinTD, but does have the workmanship the XinTD does.

The LM can tailstand? the boot seems swollen.