If you had to recommend ONE flashlight, what would it be?

I am curious to hear what you guys think.

If somebody came to you and said they wanted one flashlight, with price being no object, and no specific application, what would you recommend and why? The sky is the limit here, but keep in mind it needs to fill all roles and be able to be used in any situation.

My answer:

Nitecore TM26

I would recommend the TM26 because it is very compact relative to its output, it does not require a separate battery charger (comes with a charging cable), it is small enough to be carried in a belt holster, it gives useful feedback on the display about the battery life, temperature, and voltage. It holds 4x18650’s, so it has a lot of power on tap, but at the same time, it can also run off a single 18650 in a pinch. It can also use CR123’s if you hate your bank account. You would think the light is a flooder, and it most certainly is, but it also is rated at 43kcd, so it can actually put a decent amount of light downrange for its size and configuration. My one and only complaint with the light is that it still uses first gen XM-L’s. XM-L2’s could theoretically boost the output by 500 lumens with no loss in battery life.

So what would you guys recommend and why?

I’d tell them to bugger off and come back when they have some kind of requirements.

But if I had to give a recommendation, probably a medium sized triple emitter which doesn’t overheat. TM26, TN30, Terminator come to mind. Maybe a TK75, but the head is kind of big and might be awkward for some.

For now, If TM26 come with XM-L2 3C :wink:

sc52w cause it’s smallish, powerful even on ni-mh and very useful as edc
I don’t think that most people need triple xm-ls :slight_smile:

Something versatile with a big tube and great voltage range like this Lumintop SD10.

With the right adapters it could run off of almost anything. AA,D,18650,26650,32650.

Whatever that light would be, I don't think I own it. I think maybe it would be a zebralight of some sort, something that has a high, high, and a nice moonlight mode. The only thing that concerns me about Zebralights (not having owned one) is that they seem a little convoluted to set-up for the people that don't want to give mode selection that much thought.

So now we buy lights because they seem to rock?

That is an interesting light. I wonder if they make 26650 and 18650 adapters…

I wrapped a length of para cord around a protected 26650 about 4 times and dropped it in it has been working fine for a day and a half so far. I plan on getting some thick O-Rings Someone said you can use a section of 1" diameter PVC pipe, Ill go out to HD later. I have a 18650 to 26650 converter tube from another light and they sell them sometimes.

After about 20 light purchases, battery versatility is something I value highly. Tint would be next and then brightness. Hell all of the lights sold now are brighter than I truly need.

It is!
The bogus runtime chart is annoying thought.
500lm for 6h on 3AA cells, yeah, sure. Would be more like 1h.
I still like the format.

I would say zl sc600 (or II)
I own one for a year and half now. Use it daily and never had any problem.
The UI needs a little getting used to though

Dereelight Nightmaster V2

Quality, Durability,Versatility, Upgradeability

With one flashlight you can have all this:

- No 1 commercial available 50mm aspheric thrower in a world(260KCD of throw with tuned pill)

- With IR P60 drop in One of the best IR illuminators in a world

- With aluminium pill holder it accepts any classic P60 drop in(just unscrew reflector and screw back into pill holder).

• Probably the best P60 host in a world with excellent heatsinking ability

Upgradeable with:

- 70 mm Xsearcher(aspheric) head (400+KCD of throw with tuned pill)

- red,yellow,blue,white, multimode/singlemode drop ins

• extension tube to run 2×18650 or 3×16340

And I don’t know if it still can but for older versions(DBS) you could even order reflector heads with desired reflector style(reflector for XRE,XML,MCE)

Id be pretty happy to recommend a TN30. I love mine. Great size, decent throw, massive flood, lasts for ages on the low settings whilst still providing decent light, great range of settings and its a quality light.

Ultrafire C20
best all around, single cell, excellent output, easy carry light :smiley:

I think I will recommend the same as bikenber73, the lumintop sd10, which I don`t own, but it seems to be a nice torch!

can take different kinds of cells.

Something with AA’s

If anybody would ask me for advice on a flashlight without a specific purpose, I'd point them to the cheapest half-decent 2AA flashlight I could find.

Most people shouldn't be trusted with LiIon batteries, anything that's brighter than an incan light will make them go yee-haw, and they will eventually drop it or lose it.

A very close friend of mine will get a Solarforce L2 with a DIY XP-G2 low voltage dropin for his birthday, with extension and adapter tube to use with 2 AAs. He can use it and keep it that way and be happy forever, or if he's really getting into things, I can still get him an 18650 battery, charger and a suitable dropin :)

Great idea!
That makes a well built light in a very nice format, and it still is versatile and easily upgradeable. I like that. :slight_smile:

I hope he'll like it as well :D

My mind changes depending on whether I have just come back from a camping trip, motorcycle trip, overnight for business - and the opportunities to go out in the dark and play.

Day in day out my favorite right now is the new K-3 MT-G2 upgrade head from SF which puts out a nice balance of throw and flood, great tint and manageable size. I also love my BS Terminator, but its more the kick of good lumen output and the funky form factor. A few larger lights too, but they are just bulky to haul around or walk with. Maybe a high end EDC?

I would like to answer better and more precisely, but need your $$$ to keep trying to nail it down…!