Illumn Brand Flashlight Suggestions (AA size)

Hey BLF,

We have finally decided to look into starting our own brand of flashlights designed from the ground up among other projects. Our first light will be a mass-market budget to mid-ranged priced AA sized light. If you have any suggestions at all please leave them in the comments below. If you are against what is listed or what other people have suggested feel free to constructively explain why you don't like it. I know BLF has had quite a few similar posts in the past but I'll definitely consider everyone's opinions and wishes. Feel free to list what modes you want, if you prefer memory, if you want selectable mode groups, or even if you think the market already has too many AA lights. Please also note how much you would pay for a light with the suggestions you want.

Thanks in advance for your time,
Calvin

Suggestions:
TIR Optics
Nichia 219B
Screw-in pill
Reversible clip
14500 support
Rear tailswitch
Moonlight, Low, Med, High, Strobe Modes

A few suggestions:

— Make the strobe hidden
— Efficient circuit (no PWM or “circuit noise”)
— Mode memory (though many will disagree)
— Electronic switch instead of tail switch?

This is what I would want in an AA light.

• 4 modes- moonllight,low,mid,max. No strobes.
  • Always starts in low. No memory.
  • No PWM.
  • High CRI Nichia LED.
  • Reverse clickie tail switch.
  • Wide, floody beam for close work.
  • Well machined head/emitter shelf- not screw in pill.

I would like:
Option for 219B or XPL
Proud rear tailswitch (forward) - I would like tailstand ability, but proud switch is more important than tailstand ability if you have to pick one or the other
2 modes - high and low, starts on high, no memory
14500, NiMH support
1xAA

$20

Would those optic size allow the choice of single or triple emitters?

I'd like to see someone focus on smooth sliding tailcap threads with anodization. Some are so rough that I seriously fear wearing them out. Part of that may be spring tension due to battery tubes that are too short though.

And please do the lanyard loop right. If it's going to be on the tailcap, then add a couple mm's if that's what it takes to make a sturdy lanyard loop that doesn't mess up tail standing. It doesn't have to be on the tailcap though.

What about making flashlight "bling"? Offer accessories. If it's like auto and cellular accessories, there's huge profit margin in it.

This is tied into the last item. Make a removable bezel, but make an optional one with internal threads so that SLR style red/green/blue/ir/uv filters can be screwed on.

Was thinking of having two mode groups that you can switch between, one with moonlight + LMH, and then one with LMH + strobe.

Meaning no PWM at all? Or no visible PWM?

[quote=Racer] — Electronic switch instead of tail switch? [/quote]

So a side switch?

I like side electronic switches.

It is possible to put an electronic switch on a tailcap, but requires an extra electrical connection from the tail to the driver.

FYI: If you do make it with a side electronic switch, the switch should be relatively small and flush with the body (like in the XTAR WK41) or it should be recessed like in the Zebralight SC62. In any event it should be stiff enough and protected enough that it can be carried loose in the pocket with little risk of accidental turn-on even when not locked out.

For a AA light triple emitters and optics are probably out of the option unless it has a massive head. I like your other suggestions but would like to keep the costs down.

EDIT: If you are suggesting a build please indicate how much you would be willing to pay for a light with your features.

Several modes, from very low to turbo

Constant brightness till battery exhaustion, not linear like 18650 lights

Available in XP-G for throw or XM-L (or XP-L) for lumens

I would like a turbo like a 300-500 lumen mode, but make it a short term turbo so you won’t kill battery life too much

No PWM at all, constant current

Some type of charge remaining indicator would be nice, a switch tap combination that gives flashes for percent, or a display (expensive of course) or whatever method would work

The ability or a line of lights that is simple 1 mode no nonsense that can be given to a non flashaholic who only knows old school incandescent that has on/off

VERY hidden strobe, SOS, the convoys with the 4 second flash on low are not nearly hidden enough

An interchangeable head would be great, you can use one with more throw, one for flood, maybe different driver combinations

AR glass, when you have fewer lumens every lumen counts (foybezeled as well would help)

What driver circuitry will you be using?

(1) Mode memory.
(2) No visible PWM or noise.
(3) Nice choice of colors. Blue, Grey, Orange, Black,Pink, Natural.
(4) Tail cap switch.
(5) Momentary “on”.
(6) 4 modes, Moon, Low, Medium, High. No S.O.S. or strobe.
(7) Expandable to use 2 AA batteries.
———- $40.00 price max.————-

TIR optics also.

Suggestions:
TIR Optics
Nichia 219B
Screw-in pill
Reversible clip
14500 support
Rear tailswitch
Moonlight, Low, Med, High, Strobe Modes

[/quote]

some sort of a diffuser for flood
side switch
color emitters?
I like the changeable mode option brought up

Thrunite Neutron V2 is sweet!

can’t wait for your first light.

+1
And tailstand

Ciao

+1
And tailstand

Ciao
[/quote]

Yes, I forgot about that. Thanks Ciao. :slight_smile:

Twisty

Square Anodized threads - contact made on top of body to driver retaining ring

Knurling on body and head for twisty grip

3 modes - no strobe modes

Nichia 219/Copper mcpcb

LED shelf is milled in head

1500mA max

No visible pwm

TIR Optic

Tail stand

Anodized - Choice of - Black, Copper, Pewter

$25-$30

What I’d like to see in a AA edc light.
Tough as hell. I want to throw it in my pocket, drop it in a puddle, throw it in the car, and know it will be fine.
Four modes moon, low, medium, holy crap high.
14500 compatible.
Reverse clickie
It doesn’t have to be the brightest, farthest throwing or most advanced. Just a great all around performer that’s tough and well priced.

Be able to remove reflector bezel for Candle mode
Infinitely variable ring
Crenelated steel bezel
Be able to tail stand
Turbo reflectors for throw and semi Flood and flood options available
HA III and Titanium/copper versions
Lanyard hole
Nice Machining think sunwayman V10 / v11r, jetbeam Jet 2, Kuku flashlights etc.
Slots for optional tritium by user
Led on copper, noctigon preferred
NO GLUE! NONE, NADA, ZIP!
Waterproof to 2 meters
Coated glass
Work on 1,14500, 2AA tubes and 123a tubes available
Good mass under Led for heatsink
deep pocket clip

Interesting colors like olive drab ,mocha , khaki, stainless .

forget the side switches on AA's they just feel odd

Offer A 2 AA version .18650 tube , a 16340 tube and a turbo head like a lumapower D-mini

The king of AA is the Zebralight SC52. look at the problem backwards, what are the least desired things you can remove with the most cost reduction?

What about a really solid base platform for modding, available in a low cost base version, and some optional parts?

King of the low end is the SK68 clone, what can you do to warrant 2x to 4x the cost? I’m pretty happy with the SK68 clones I have, especially running a 14500. Low voltage detection and smaller overall size about the only things other than more raw output I hanker for.

My attitude about what I want in light changes at; $10, $20, and $50, sk68, Olight i3s, SC52. EDC since the day it arrive close to a year ago, i3s with 10440.

it should have all the stuff we like, and none of the stuff we don’t like. :slight_smile:

I agree with these, though I’m not picky about PWM as long as it’s not obnoxious. I’d also like to see the light have no mode memory, if possible.

Here’s a thought: Instead of switching between two mode groups, how about having an option of disabling mode memory?