IMR? ICR? NCR? Protected or non? Safest battery for Cree 2000lm headlamp?

I bought this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000LM-CREE-XM-L-T6-LED-Rechargeable-18650-Headlamp-Headlight-Torch-Lamp-Ba-CH-/141310848754?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20e6c86ef2

I told the seller to keep the cheap batteries it comes with and refund me $1.50 so I can get better ones.

Then, I bought two of these which say on the label NCR and about the overcharge and short circuit protection they have
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10x-5000mAh-3-7V-18650-NCR-Li-ion-LED-Flashlight-Torch-Rechargeable-Battery-Pack-/221184589808?pt=Battery_Chargers&hash=item337fa0fff0

but what I received were two solid blue 18650s that just said ’Good 18650 2000mAh ace-mall.com” and I got a refund for them being seriously not as described. I know those white batts in the link are a kind of shady Chinese off-brand even though they say they are NCR and protected, so I would rather spend a few more bucks and get a known brand.

Next, I bought these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-PANASONIC-NCR18650PF-2900mAh-HYBRID-IMR-Li-ion-Battery-Replaces-NCR18650PD-/111387360898?pt=US_Rechargeable_Batteries&hash=item19ef343e82

from a different seller’s listing thinking they’re the safer NCR chemistry and protected because that seller didn’t mention they’re actually neither. Or are they NCR and not IMR or is NCR just a type or IMR? I know they’re not protected though. But should I even want protected batts in that headlamp? Do you think it has built in protection? Someone on an e-cig forum suggested to use unprotected IMR batts in a headlamp, I think because they meant that if I get protected cells then worst case scenario is they could explode but that IMR even though unprotected would only vent gas. I don’t want two 18650s strapped to my head exploding or while charging or being stored in a hot car. They said it might not be a good idea to use protected batts in a device that might already be protected such as that headlamp.

I don’t think I need a high Amp output, so I basically just want long battery life and especially safety since I think I read two mid-range mAh (around 2400mAh) 18650s could run a headlamp like that for like 20 hours on a charge and I would only need the charge to last like 6 hours max.

Thanks.

Oh man! I think you should have come here before buying that stuff. Well, I don’t know if I can say anything helpful but let me try. First off, I wouldn’t use that lamp. If you at least would have bought one that could be used with only one cell. Maybe it’s wired parallel, so that you could just use one cell. Most importantly: don’t use that built in charger! Next thing, if you really want to use this lamp, I’d go for protected cells. The ones you linked, Panasonic PF aren’t true IMR cells. Problem is, everyone is talking about “IMR” but nobody can tell you the definition of that. The meaning behind “IMR” isn’t really clear to me, but I think it would make much more sense to call it “LMR” or something like that, Lithium Manganese Rechargable, because this is a chemistry that is considered safer, LiMnO2, that is the chemistry everyone is referring to when speaking about safe IMR-chemisty. At least it used to be like that. Nowadays some “manufacturers” (often just re-wrappers) or sellers write IMR on nearly everything because that is what people ask for, especially vapers. Efest, Keeppower, Efan,… they write IMR on almost everything. Those Panasonic PF haven’t even mangan in them, so absolute nonsense to call those “hybrid IMR”. If you want to go with “IMR” for safety reasons, make sure to buy true LiMnO2. Or buy good protected cells. My advice would be, don’t try to save some dollars in trade for your safety. Buy a good charger, good protected cells and I would also buy another light. I’m sorry if that isn’t what you wanted for an answer, but I’m just honest.

For info on the batteries, start at Battery University

Also look at the left bar of this forum and you will find many more links.

A protection can be considered helpful, especially around your head BUT it is NOT a foolproof failsafe. Before you start using this headlamp and Li-ions you need to do some reading for your own safety and that of others. Like all batteries, these Li-ions are safe when handled and used properly but like all batteries they can get dangerous in a hurry. There is no such thing as a 100% safe and foolproof battery.

Please....NEVER EVER use no-name off-brand batteries. Only use name brand from known and trusted suppliers (all you have to do is ask) because there are a lot of fakes out there.

Where are you located? http://mtnelectronics.com/ is trusted and has quality batteries with high quality protection.

You can absolutely, and should, use protected batteries in a light that has some of its own protection. Some lights have low voltage protection, the protection on li-ions do more. They also provide overcharge and overcurrent protection.

The charger that headlamp comes with, throw it away, seriously. Those type of chargers are always dangerous. It may seem to work but it does not do proper li-ion charging. Also they are made so poorly the AC one would not come close to meeting any general AC safety requirements.

Additionaly: the light might or might not be protected. Description does not say anything about protection.

Oh and welcome to BLF! :beer:

thanks for the replies. Ok, so I’ll get protected batts for the headlamp. I know a thing or two about batteries but it’s one of those things that you think should take an hour to learn but turns into hours and hours hence why I just asked here to make sure. I don’t think I need a high-amp output for the headlamp, do I? anything under even 6A should work, no? Then just get a protected ICR or IMR or NCR with high mAh, like 3,000+?

No, you won’t need high amps for your headlamp. Only need high amp batteries for hot rod lights which are usually custom.

yeah chouster, I was hoping no one would recommend getting a completely other headlamp and charger, but yeah Ima just stick with it. I hope it’s parallel and not stacking the batteries because I think that might be safer, regardless if it can run on one battery at a time.

I read IMR was actually a type error that became permanent - in lowercase, the correct LMR looks like lmr and became known as Imr.

_“make sure to buy true LiMnO2. Or buy good protected cells”

So I can’t buy a true IMR (LMR) that also has protection? And if I get protected, then they might explode worst case scenario but IMRs would only vent but do not have protection?

Can anyone just link two batteries on ebay and I’ll buy they and be solved? thanks so much. I’m in the US and buying online.

If your in the usa mtnelectronics.com has the best prices for excellent batteries. The Evva batteries use high quality (seiko) protection.

Not exactly. Both could explode or could just vent. True IMR are much less likely to do either. I don’t know of any place true IMR with protection but you can get hybrid chemistry with protection. Its suppose to be safer than standard li-ions.

“The charger that headlamp comes with, throw it away, seriously. Those type of chargers are always dangerous. It may seem to work but it does not do proper li-ion charging. Also they are made so poorly the AC one would not come close to meeting any general AC safety requirements.”

The charger is built into the battery holder. I really like not needing a separate charger. But I really like things not exploding on accident, so does anyone recommend a whole nother safer 2000+lm zoomable, headlamp with built-in dual 18650 charger (and also the best batts for it)? Under like $30 shipped?

you mean NCR, right? I read those are the safest but I don’t think I’ve found them with protection other than those white off-brand ones on ebay that I received completely different “ace-mall good 18650’ batts!

Nope. IMR (aka LiMn) is safest. Hybrid next then li-ion. NCR is not really a name we use for battery chemistry, its a code panasonic uses on their (li-ion and hybrid) batteries.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Panasonic-NCR18650BD-Protected-3200mAh-Button-top-18650-Batteries-FREE-Case-/191328616934

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-Keeppower-Protected-18650-2900mAh-with-Panasonic-NCR18650PF-Li-ion-PCB-/121454640041

Both use high quality (seiko) protection and are types of hybrids.

First of all, this light will never ever make 2000 lm, not even 1000 lm, trust me. I think 700 lm would be realistic maybe less. As I said, most importantly, do not use that built in charger! It is possibly very dangerous. You can’t buy protected LiMnO2, often referred to as “IMR”, you can buy NCR (Panasonics term for LiNiCoAlO2) protected and there are many good choices.

And no, I can not recommend a “2000+lm zoomable, headlamp with built-in dual 18650 charger (and also the best batts for it)? Under like $30 shipped?” Simply because is doesn’t exist, price aside. Now consider the price of that whole package, and think about what 2 good batteries and 1 acceptable charger would cost, you get what you pay for. Nothing wrong about cheap lights, this is budget light forum after all. But cheap batteries and cheap chargers nowone ever tested, that could end up really ugly.

Yes, the headlamp might not be the best but as long as he doesn’t use the built-in charger it should be ok. It makes light and goes on your head. Lets focus on the important parts. Safe batteries and safe charger.

For that price you could get NCR 18650 or Icr both protected

I never trust bay for batteries. Flashlights either.

@ Halo, you’re right. Cheap Xtar charger and that batteries you linked should be fine.

Those Evva (Panasonic PD) from mountainelectronics should be top notch. The Samsung 30B Newland linked could come in handy if he ignores our warnings about that charger….