Install light inside a dishwasher

I wanna put a door actuated light inside my dishwasher. it’s dark in there. Anyone done this?

My dishwasher has LED lights built in.
That’s actually one of the reasons I purchased it.

4 Thanks

I have an idea and I’m curious if anyone here can say it is good or bad. What if you designed a light that was cast in a block of resin with the resin acting as a diffuser? Perhap a heatsink could be alllowed to stick out? Was just trying to imagine a light that was as waterproof as possible.

1 Thank

Maybe snake an ultra flat ribbon cable on the top area.
Power supply outside. Waterproof strip of LEDs well gooped up with silicone caulk near the front on top?
All the Best,
Jeff

Why is no manufacturer doing it? Its too hot in there.

My dishwasher is a Midea(I’m told it’s made by whirlpool) and it has built in LED lighting.
Probably about 7000K and low CRI :stuck_out_tongue:.
It’s practically Silent too.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Midea-45-Decibel-Filtration-Built-In-Dishwasher-Fingerprint-Resistant-Stainless-Steel-Common-24-in-Actual-23-9-in-ENERGY-STAR/1002638480?cm_mmc=shp-_-c-_-prd-_-app-_-ggl-_-PMAX_APP_235_Dishwashers_Priority-Items-_-1002638480-_-online-_-0-_-0&gclid=CjwKCAjw69moBhBgEiwAUFCx2J9TrS_BmxOKDeivBQv4qbYaVB7xYAERtcAohp9Ex1wQw13_3lz8GxoCpcMQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I thought OP meant dryer. My bad.

I don’t think I could even fit inside my dishwasher.

You could just bring a lantern or something with you, next time you go.

Just bought a high-end Bosch. I thought it had lights in it. A lot of the others did. Pretty cool looking. Now I want, I want.

Yep, saw that one.

1 Thank

Would an LED work in a wet environment like that. Also on dry mode they get hot as an oven.

I’m failing to imagine a reason for lighting the interior of a dishwasher after opening its door. After waiting for the heat to dissipate and opening the door, I just slide out a rack to start putting away the cleaned dishes. I suppose if there’s a need to look inside before removing the load, I would grab a flashlight.

Respectfully, why would you need to light the interior, unless it’s more of a want.

2 Thanks

Mine has one in it. I thought it was common on modern ones.

The electrician in me says skip trying to put one inside it and just install a spot light in the ceiling that shines in it. I think you are gonna just create a major headache trying to retrofit a light in there, it living very long, and not creating a water leak somewhere.

What a bright idea! Adding a light inside your dishwasher could definitely make loading and unloading a whole lot easier. While I haven’t personally tried it, I’ve heard of folks successfully DIY-ing this project. If you’re not keen on tinkering, reaching out to musiccityappliance.services could be a smart move. They helped me out when my dishwasher had a mind of its own, so I trust their expertise.

I pull the racks out when loading and unloading the dishwasher and my kitchen has lights. I thought that sliding racks were a standard feature.

3 Thanks

My wife is legally blind. Thanks for the snark though. ~Matt

1 Thank

I hope you have fun here, Gagroot!

I had an inadvertent go at this… I do not recommend!

https://www.reddit.com/r/flashlight/s/OJPWeMVEWv

2 Thanks

I’ve never met her and you never said, obviously I should have known that.

1 Thank

:stuck_out_tongue: