Interesting Columbia SR-268 Knife

I’m just getting into knives…thanks to you guys…and I stumbled across this new Columbia SR-268 knife at Manafont.

The locking mechanism looks interesting. It appears that the top part of the frame pivots to release the blade from the locking position. You can see this mechanism here:

Since my knowledge on knives is lacking…and so is the info on Manafont…what do you think about this knife?

A few pictures here for how to operate this knife…

http://www.fengli-knife.com/sr268-knife-side-lock-high-quality-p-11.html

While I have never owned a side lock, let’s give it a go…

Pros
It photographs well
The fit and finish look good
The engineering looks reasonable
The price looks to be good value for money spent Are SRM knives pretty much the best budget knives ?
It comes with an owners manual

Cons?
The machined grooves may collect dust and impede operation. Not sure if they attempt self cleaning
The wear parts need to be fit for the purpose. Aluminum on steel is a recipe for early failure (not sure if this is the case)
At 87mm blade length, I don’t think it’s a “Mini EDC”, and may not be legal in some jurisdictions for exceeding 3 inches
Blade steel is “56 HRC”, but what composition? Are SRM knives pretty much the best budget knives ?
Tip down carry
No lanyard hole
Blade play after lockup?
Too many wiggly, fiddly parts?
Black paint? Anodizing?

Summary
The presentation makes a good argument to tempt a purchase.

It’s a copy not a real CRKT.

According to Wikipedia, most CRKT knives are made in China or Taiwan. By whom, Sanrenmu?, Enlan?, ShuangRong?. Beats me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbia_River_Knife\_%26_Tool

I would be afraid that the button would accidentally pressed while using the knife . If you hold it in your right hand wouldn't the tip of you index finger be on the button?

Hmmm…possibly. But an axis lock is in the same general location and I haven’t heard of any problems there. I realize it is a different design, though. Something to think about.

I guess this knife is actually made by SR (Shuangrong). Are they decent knives?

I value this member’s opinion…

It looks like you have to jam your finger in the hole to depress the locking mechanism. I doubt any part of your hand would accidently get in there to unlock the knife.

Too many moving parts for a knife in my opinion. Something is prone to fail.

Found them! (I think)

I sent an email to SR earlier today asking what kind of material they use for their blades. I just received an email back…they use either 420 or 440 steel.

1) I like the design but columbia knives don’t have a great quality. Buy enlan/srm/ganzo and with one step down quality navy or some steps down inron.
2) 420 or 440 steel isn’t a great information. 420HJ? 440A 440B 440C???. And, it’s more important the termic process than the type of steel.
3) Again, we know wich are the chinese quality knives (see point one).

Nice looking knife, and I’m not a steel snob. I know that you can put an edge on anything, steel just changes how long it’ll last when you start using it. 420 or 440 is pretty soft though, 56HRC sounds about right. 8Cr13Mov is a good basic steel, I’m surprised they’re not using it.

I bought a Columbia knife to assess overall comparability to SRM, ENLAN. My specific sample seems to fall a bit short on the general exuberance of the knife making craftsman. Notice that I said a bit. YMMV. The design is bold,and there appears to be some indifference to convention of operation. It photographs well, but looks a wee bit rougher in person.

See my comments here: