Intl-outdoor's 3535-size 365nm UV-led on 16mm Noctigon (Royalighting RY-3535P)

It depends. If light perception is logarithmic, 15% at any level should look just as big (or small) as at any other level. If it’s cubic like selfbuilt thinks, 15% would be more visible at higher levels than it would be at lower levels.

But then there’s also the matter of what the light is actually illuminating. 3000 lumens in a small box looks a lot brighter than 3000 lumens in a large room, and our visual perception is based on lux instead of lumens.

I don’t know about anyone else, but my visual range goes from about 0.001 cd to ~50,000 cd (lower, if my pupils aren’t fully contracted). Anything above that is basically “clipping”. But I’m photosensitive; most people have a higher low and a higher high.

In any case, “15% more than sunlight” should look like a bigger difference than “15% more than moonlight”. And in a flashlight, the 15% difference would be more noticeable up close simply because it would start at a higher lux.

Yes, but if you are looking at a moon mode that is 1 lumen, add 15% and what do you have? Still ridiculously low output. If you have 3500 lumens, add 15% and you have 4025 lumens. Maybe it’s just me but I can’t see many people wanting 1.15 lumens over 1 lumen to any large extent, surely not willing to pay extra for it, but 4025 over 3500… most are willing to pay extra for that! So perspective rears it’s ugly head once again.

If I remember correctly, 15% and even less was always an excellent gain to justify modding a light at all. This kind of gain has lured many a potential flashaholic into the dire straights of shelves full of lights! It’s why we buy one bin higher emitter, an IMR cell, an AR lens, always looking to add single digit percentage point gains in an attempt to get that 15 to 20% total increase. I think most of us do that all the time.

I am one that will spend hours making a heat sink to fill the head of a light, not for what it might bring to performance but to fill the lens around a 24mm optic when the light has a 35mm opening. Aesthetics drive me to do a lot of things where performance isn’t even measured. In the same way that I use big chunks of copper, to please my mind and put heft in my hand. I don’t really care if it cools more or costs more, that’s not at all the point. Not for me anyway.

I’m sure there are those here that use lights in their work, as the guy that uses a UV light for forensic search missions. Gotta be good and simply has to get the job done. That’s a different story. One of those times when the Jurassic Park theme kicks in…“Spared no expense…”

Why build one flashlight when you can build two? :bigsmile:

“First rule in government spending: why build one when you can have two at twice the price?”

I think that’s kind of what I said. From what I can tell, the science backs up that approach, since a 15% increase from sunlight looks like a much bigger difference than a 15% increase from moonlight. Going from 0.3 lm to 3 lm is a 10X increase, but it only looks about as big as going from 30 lm to 100 lm, a 3.3X increase. And when you get up to 3000 lm, a jump up to 4000 looks pretty big too even though it’s only a 0.33X increase.

But looking at it in different ways. I’m talking about a percentage of a large number is a much bigger piece of the pie. You’re talking about the appearance of that piece of pie. lol

Give me 25% of a 12” pie any day, over a 25% portion of one of those little single serving pies that comes in a plastic bag. Still a quarter of the pie, man I must be hungry, pecan pie on the brain!

Carry on…

Edit: I’ll go find me another one of these… notice the halo lights around my head, at my best with large amounts of food in front of me! :bigsmile:

Edit II: My son is just like his father…

Those are real fries. Steak fries are the best but hard to find up here in Michigan.

Oh by the way, I ordered my LZ1 today. :bigsmile:

That burger looks like it’s the size of your head. Surely, that’s just a trick of perspective distortion, no?

/me skitters off in fear of the formidable head-burger

It was a 1/2 lb of fresh hamburger, massive sandwich that even I had difficulty getting my big mouth around! I did it justice, ate the entire thing and all the fries. Mmmmm, gotta get back there… little mom & pop greasy spoon.

Mouth watering.

That looks like a tasty burger!

I was going to mount my LZ1 in a host today but something doesn’t look right. It looks off center going toward the 1 o’clock position. Does this look odd?

Bump. Looks odd to me, but I haven’t seen one in person. DBCstm?

EDIT: actually, CK’s photos show that his LED appears the same way. Take a look at this one: Photo Storage

Mine was on a smaller star, didn’t look like that at all…sorry.

djozz’s small uv zoomie doesn’t.
https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/24011

Jubeldum is referring to what’s inside the dome.

That’s not a straight down view. With the dome I’d say a straight down view is necessary for comparison.

Just a quick question, so would the original LED in this thread be a good choice for curing Norland?

For what I understand, yes, very quick

I made an as straight down as possible picture of the led (I have a better solder iron now ;-) ) :

Great stuff, I have been slowing curing with a borrowed Arc AAA UV. I’ll build something up with this LED for a quick curer. I had a UV Haiku briefly but the $$$$’s it cost were not worth it for occasional trit/norland work.

Mine has to be a factory defect. Still waiting on Digilink to get back with me.