IR led car bulb 12v source

Hello is any source for infared led light bulbs for car ? need something in t10 size.

I bet your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn’t stop to think if they should.

5 Thanks

what?

Life, uh, finds a way.

2 Thanks

With an incandescent bulb you’re most of the way there.

1 Thank

no i need IR for a cam/radar block project.

The best you can do is to get a red T10 LED bulb and replace the red LEDs with IR LEDs. If you need high output of IR light the best you can do is to simply use a halogen bulb.

If your plan is to wash out your license plate so red light/speed camera will not read your plate, it wont work, people have already tried it,
if you trying to block police speed laser, it wont work either, police lasers use 904nm wavelength, there aren’t many leds available with such wavelength, as well as sequence of pulses to reduce faults reading the reflection.

yes plan is to block redlight camera ,i’ve tried using a IR flashlight i have and it works,even with small leds works ,it depends were you put the light.

interesting, people that tried it put them around license plate, in the LP frame, still got tickets.
If you get caught with such mod, it would be a criminal charge, intentional obstructing. but if you have a bike rack, or you are a lucky person who has a license plate in the bumper, that could partially be covered by a bumper guard rubber cover, it is just a equipment violation, no points, may even get it dismissed.
but in any case, sounds like an interesting project, let us know how it works out,

nobody said it will be legal mod :slight_smile: ,yes around the license plate will not work unless you have very powerful leds.

You might blind a cheap infrared camera, but you definitely can’t do it with red light/speed cameras. They have a very high dynamic range, the IR illuminators they use are already quite powerful, and they use a narrowband filter plus a digital subtractive filter, so any incoming light which didn’t came from the illuminators is (theoretically) fully removed.

I already thought about it and even with some very powerful IR sources i couldn’t even blind my phone’s built-in $2 infrared camera, let alone a $10k+ specialized piece of hardware like speed cameras.

Unless you are talking about some seriously powerful and potentially harmful infrared sources like pulsed IR lasers you aren’t going to succeed on your venture, and you will probably harm yourself and others. And in case you are, it would be cheaper to just pay the ticket.

1 Thank

Yea, I had a feeling it would not work, probably better way is to add ir leds to shine directly on the LP, the way LP bulbs do, but then any i phone back cam does not see IR so it would not fool an i phone, probably wont fool red light/speed cam too. but keep us posted, very interesting subject.
btw there are illegal mods, and there are ILLEGAL mods, tint too dark, bike carrier blocking the plate is a no point ticket, intentionally obstructing LP readers with device designed to do just that is a criminal charge. but they have to catch you first.

1 Thank

thanks for your comment i will see how it goes and give an update here.

to answer your question, I actually googled for t10 ir bulb, could not find any, does not look like anyone makes them. there are all shades of white, red, amber, but no IR,
you will have to rig something, or use “follow me ir light” used in off road community. they are not cheap thou.

1 Thank

yeap found similar results ,guess will have to make a diy bulb.

there is such thing as confidential plates, they look like normal plates, but they can’t be ran. even cops can not run them, they are not in a usual database, cops, gvmnt workers, victims of crimes. are illegible. it varies from state to state. if you get a plate like that, you do nto need to cover it, or hide in any way, even if someone writes it down and runs them, they will not find it, neither will speed/red light cams, toll collectors, parking enforcement… and it is perfectly legal

1 Thank

I’ve had pretty good success blocking those by stopping at red lights.

3 Thanks

:slight_smile: that is the trick i am doing now ,problem is in my country same camera is both for redlight and speed control which are basic traps for earning money especially in big roads with low speed limit.

Usually roads have signs how fast you’re allowed to drive and traffic lights have a nice red light if they want you to stop. Looking at it helped me to avoid fines for the last 15 years. :slight_smile:

3 Thanks