Is it safe to leave rechargeable batteries in a charger overnight?

Yes since some flashlights with internal charging don’t seem to stop charging either. It’s always best to check that your flashlights, or any charger for that matter, do indeed stop charging.

Those are lithium batteries and chargers in an approved consumer form.

Samsung hates their rechargeable lithium batteries being sold to consumers as plain unprotected cells and the shops here selling official cells pass on the notice from Samsung that the batteries are unsuitable for consumer use of any kind.

That’s just because you have to cater to the lowest common denominator, which in this case is morons that will carry three fully charged unprotected cells loose in their pocket with their spare change and keys. The cells inside power tool batteries are the same cells we use in our lights yet they are sold as consumer products.

If you have authentic, quality cells in good condition and a decent charger with a good charging profile and proper termination, the risk is hardly greater than charging any other Li-ion cell. However, it does require a bit of conscious effort and common sense to ensure that level of safety remains.

I generally don’t trust any electronics charging or left switched on overnight/unattended- random chinese brands don’t care about your safety, established brands can also have issues (eg Hotpoint tumble dryers).

A number of months ago, I had a (premium) miboxer charger blow it’s fuse when I plugged it in. It smelled like hot plastic/burning electronics/’magic smoke’.

Original fuse was 13A, completely unsuitable, I changed it to 5A the year before the charger popped.

that is what they are intended for

at worst, you could put in a fireproof trash can for a few test runs

i don;t worry about that

some of the cheapest li ion chargers are safe for an unintended reason - they may lack the power to blow anything up

though they might still overcharge and damage your cell - either fewer cycles in future, or setting up some dangerous situation

but i have never had anything bad happen to any charger or cell in about 10 years

other than the time i cut one open on purpose, and it started smoking when the air got to the innards

wle

vaping stuff is more likely to cause a lot of issues that flashlights do not have, even charging issues

I would not leave a battery in a charger that cost $1 to make overnight unattended.

Electronics made to meet US standards have to pass hundreds of safety checks and inspections.

These Chinese electronics from China have none of these checks.

ok, then if the battery is in a sealed light if goes off is it safer or less safe that it's in an aluminum tube?

Most quality chargers will shut off after reaching the cell specified maximum voltage (or just shy of it), and not do any further charging. That means no trickle charging either. From what I’ve observed, Nitecore intelligent chargers don’t trickle. I have a UM2. I’ve charged AA Eneloops in them. When done, the display shows 1.48v. Left like that for half a day, I take the cell out and put right back in—it shows 1.44v. Which means some voltage was lost at rest and the charger didn’t try to “top off.”

This is why it’s important to validate your built-in flashlight chargers. I’ve seen some people report theirs overcharging cells. With most of mine, they stop shy of 0.1 v max. Some are rated to trickle charge once the max has been reached. I don’t like this. So generally I’m mindful of flashlights with built-in chargers. Now, once in a while leaving overnight isn’t going to be any problem. But I’d try not to make a habit of it, if you want to maximize the life of your batteries.

In HJK’s tests he measures the current after it reads 0ma. Some measure a slight current. I would assume built in charging is the same.