Is the sofirn sp10 ver 3 so hot when running high mode?

I am learning about the sofirn sp10 v3.

It can run 14500 battery at over 300 lumens high mode. But I’m curious if it overheats and make our hands uncomfortable when using it at 300 lumens?

Anyone who has used this flashlight can share your actual experience of its temperature when running in high mode?
Thank you so much.

Only 300 lemons? Sure it’s not more?

Might be rated 300lm for an alkaleak (1.5V) and not 14500 Li-ion (up to 4.2V).

Ain’t got a v3, so dunno. Practically every other variant, but not the v3.

My TS10 starts cooking at higher levels, though. Big light, big heat, small thermal mass.

1 Thank

Oh the maximum the sp10 v3 can take is 1000 lumens with 14500 battery.
But i want to know about the actual experience of its temperature when running in high mode (300 lumens using 14500).

Wellp, really small thermal mass vs even a TS10, so I’d say yeah, even 300 lemons would get it kinda warm.

Solid tailcap, so you could measure tailcap current in that mode to make sure it’s not actually, say, 450lm vs 300lm. Once you know the current, measure the cell voltage and that’s how many watts are being converted to mostly heat.

1 Thank

The key is how long are you wanting to run it on turbo? I’d say if your expecting to want that output for more than a couple minutes, get a bigger light, it’ll disipate heat a lot faster, and your hand can be further from the hot head too.

The Pro version, 900 lumens on max, gets hot on turbo for very long, more than a few minute ish, but if you’re holding the body, not the head its fine… about 5 minutes till it gets noticably hot, almost uncomfortable holding the head, but OK on the body. Not going to get burnt on the head then, but its not comfortable.

And by that time I’d had to re-double click to turbo about 3 times, since the heat going up the software ramps output down… At that point its a fast drop, you have to click it back up every 20 seconds or more… I’m sure somewhere it equalizes and heat and output stay put… But I don’t have the patience to sit and wait to see when. (note, this is the Pro and Anduril2… Not sure how heat and step down on the V3 are handled)

1 Thank

1 Thank

300 Lumens is not Sustainable.
After 5 minutes it goes below 300 lumens

maximum temperature in the following chart is below 38C

No, 38C is not uncomfortable.

here is a review
and one of the runtime charts from that review:

1 Thank

Thank you, but this chart said cooled. So i understand that the test using a cooled to make the flashligth have 38C right?
maybe in the real enviroment, it can be hotter :smiley:

I think you might be mistaken.

first, you need to know that cooled is intended to simulate the natural cooling that occurs when a flashlight is held in hand. Our blood flow cools the light.

second, if the light is not cooled, then I believe the output step down, to less than 300 lumens, will simply happen in a shorter amount of time. In other words, instead of staying above 300 lumens for the first five minutes, as in the chart, if the light is not cooled then it would go below 300 lumens in less than 5 minutes.

The light has an internal sensor, that decides to lower the output, when a certain maximum temperature is reached. I dont think that lack of cooling will allow a higher maximum temperature.

For those reasons, I believe an uncooled light, would still drop in output when the internal temperature is triggered. The trigger to lower the output, would simply occur in a shorter amount of time.

2 Thanks

thank you so much for your informations.

1 Thank