Is the very good Manafont Ultrafire XM-L drop-in no longer available as it was?

I’m a newbie flashlight buyer, did my research, choose Solarforce L2P, and L2M hosts and the highly liked Manafont XM-L dropins:

[SKU:6802] 1 x Ultrafire XM-L T6 5-Mode Memory LED Drop-in Module w/ Extra OP Reflector (4.2V max) = $17.41
[SKU:5720] 1 x Ultrafire Cree T6 3-Mode Memory LED Drop-in Module (4.2V max) = $15.98

I like the 3 mode since I’m guessing I’ll find the strobe and SOS uninteresting. But recent comments since Feb suggest it’s not the great light it was:

Manafont Verified Product Owner Gx Houxxxxx 3 of 5 Stars (on Saturday 23 March, 2013) Arrived fairly quickly, well packaged, in good working order. This SKU seems to be no longer what it once was…. I’m guessing the driver has been changed. Bring back the BANG!!!

Manafont Verified Product Owner Raxx Bürxxx 2 of 5 Stars (on Wednesday 06 March, 2013) well made, doesnt heat up too fast not really bright! draws only 1,5 A on high. very dissapointed, far away from 3 Amps or 900 lumen! seems that the drop in isnt the same as in the other comments

Manafont Verified Product Owner Jöxx Pöxx 2 of 5 Stars (on Tuesday 26 February, 2013) heated barely. highest level is not a problem not as bright i had expected all of my other xml-T6 are much brighter nothing else, all is said

Does anyone know if this isn’t available anymore? Or elsewhere? Is something else better?
I liked the idea of 3-mode, guessing the strobe and SOS would not be helpful/interesting. My first go at all this though, so IDK.

Allan

Hi Allan, welcome to BLF! I bought that same drop-in about year ago and mine is driven hard. Could have changed since then. Sounds likely to be different (& lousy) but could be a chance for a good one.

There is one at International Outdoor Store (in the drivers section, last page) that has the well loved Nanjg 105c @ 2.8A with choice of modes and tints. Little pricey, but good choice if your not willing to build your own. (Sorry, I'm on my phone and its hard to link.)

-Garry

Here's the link (wasn't so bad). Seems price is reasonable. I think it was over $20.

-Garry

I own both the ALXM and the 3 mode Manafont (2 weeks old).

The Manafont is very ringy, not nice beam + pwm.
The ALXM (U3, op) is veeery nice. SMooth beram, NO pwm.

I have the SF 3 mode and it seems great… its also my first p60 so i don’t actually know… (don’t think its driven as hard… but better runtimes (?)) it also the brightest light I have atm…

i also have an xm-l2 incoming from FT… 5 mode though… will compare….

I’ll bet that this U2 has the same driver as the old Manafont (Ultrafire) Drop-in.

Is the sequence of the ALXM correct: High (100%) - Medium (30%) - Low (5%)?

All Nanjg I have start with low.

Btw, are there p60 dropinds that have modes but always start on high?
Plus, are there dropins that switch modes a bit slower? Erm, I mean dropins where you need to be really fast to switch the mode?
My ALXM switches even if I let the light off for a second.

I prefer building my own, but this is probably the best deal on complete P60 drop-in there is now:

http://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10001085/1292200-ultrafire-xm-l2-lamp-cover-for-802b501bl2

Manafont needs to get more realistic with their pricings. $16 for T6 drop-in? That is way more expensive than it was two years ago ($12). Don’t they know older driver/emitter actually drop in price?

Oh wow, is this helpful! Thanks everyone. I was able to cancel my order for the emitters. Not quite ready.

That ALXM looks great! I’m thinking U3/Cool white, 3 mode, OP reflector for an EDC, possible commuter bike light. Spill seems good for urban cars/”being seen” and safety on some very dark bike paths (potential human threats). Nice steps in the medium and low.

I’ve been thinking of accessories. Like, those Outdoor Store White soft silicone flashlight small diffusers look interesting. Would they light up a tent nicely? Some nice clips and mounts too.

Hmm! Nice price. And XM-L2! It says 900 lumens. That sounds about right doesn’t it? Pity they don’t offer it in a 3-mode version without strobe or flashy modes. I wonder if it’s properly driven. Has anybody here reviewed it or purchased it yet?

I just received this drop in today, is built well there is a small circular metal plate over the LED emitter like the old IO drop-ins. The tint is cold with a slight hint of purple around the edge(on a white wall). The brightness is on par with every other XML drop-in I have from Ultra Fire. Worth $10 easily but I hate the tint.

That circuit only memorises the mode if the light has been ON for more than a second, how long it’s been off has no effect on memory.

“I’ve been thinking of accessories. Like, those Outdoor Store White soft silicone flashlight small diffusers look interesting. Would they light up a tent nicely? Some nice clips and mounts too.
[/quote]

There are two recent threads on using diffusers and SF lantern adaptors on BLF. I prefer the SF lanterns but I have the space to carry them when camping (have also used them extensively during recent power outages) but the various diffusers are quite useful too, much cheaper, easier to carry along…

Sometimes though, a true lantern is the best choice.

Thanks!

New to this, so forgive me if this is clear, …

Comparing to the ALXM Garry linked, I like what I read about the mode memory (expect I’ll favor one brightness 50% of the time), also most important to me now, the medium and low seem right (only guessing). A very low/dim setting I find very useful in a Black Diamond Storm headlamp, my only other LED light I’ve used. Love that thing. Do the settings step down enough?

I wonder about details of heat sinking if say, I were to wish to use them on high for 15-60 minutes. Complicated.

Neutral white .vs. Cool white .vs. this FT emitter? Hard to judge without experience.

Low voltage protection? Very good if my girlfriend uses it! lol Not “techie”. Might run it completely flat.

About any one of these dramatically “better” would be worth the extra $6 to me.

Allan

The neutral white tint will greatly improve the perception of colors as compared to cool white. There is a slight loss of lumens going from the cool white to neutral. The Nanjg driver used in the IOS drop-in will provide low voltage protection for you and be a nice safety feature. P60 XM-L drop-ins above about 2A are not recommended to be run on high for more than maybe 5 or 10 minutes at a time due to limited heatsinking (little to no thermal path to the flashlight body) unless there is airflow across the light (i.e. cycling use). You can search "P60 foil wrapping" for ideas on "wrapping" the drop-in for a tighter fit to the body. The mode spacing is also very nice.

-Garry

Make sure you wrap the drop-in with tin-foil so that it fits snugly into the host, that will massively improve heat transfer and stop the drop-in from cooking itself to death.

Yes, I’ve seen that on various youtube videos. I have 5 mil copper foil I thought might work well. I’d happily trade some for … idk, something. Parts, thermal compound?, advice here. Not sure it matters in the total thermal resistance from die to base, to … air though.

I have a few of the old Manifont 3 mode P60 drop-in's. I think they're fantastic. I wasn't aware they're not making them the same way anymore. That sucks..

BTW, I have one of these coming from intl-outdoor.com.

XM-L P60 Drop-in module "ALXM"

• Led Tint - Cool White - U3 1C (1000 emitter lumens)
  • Modes - 2 Modes: High (100%) - Low (10%)

My Manafont Ultrafire 3 mode had quite a bit of purple in the tint. It wasn't so noticeable to me unless I had another light to compare side by side. It's also been reported to have low (bad) PWM, but it doesn't bother me. And since it's direct-drive on high it's wasting a lot of battery power and generating excess heat. You'd be better off with a current regulated drop-in to about 3A max anyway.

-Garry