Is this too good to be true? S2+ for $8.99

I might be missing something but why do people mention solder points on the driver as an indication of a fake?

As far as I am aware all drivers in the S2+ with more than 4x7135’s are soldered, including the ones directly from Simon. These are review photos of a grey and and a green S2+ from Simon’s store, both appear to have soldered drivers.

Can you tell the tint?
I have doubted buying one, since the price was really low, but the adverted led was u2 1b, which afaik does not exist.
Also the image showed a green tailcap, but above post told that is is black

Because you may someday want to swap out the old driver for a modern one — if so, you should avoid soldered drivers.
It’s difficult to clean all the solder out of the threads.
If you want a driver with more than 4 chips you file some small notches in the retaining ring and screw it down.

Discussion at length with picture at:

I wish Simon was providing notched retaining rings, it’d be easy with a water jet cutter to notch them like this.
The metal is removed just from the overhanging lip, not from the part with the threads that contacts the driver when screwed down

mine is soldered.
not an issue because i solder every day and have good tools.
i can see everyone at the shop wanting one now.

They are all real …Any talk about fakes is just retarded .

great price …great light

Yes the tint u2 1b got me thinking that there is something fishy about their offer,

so I asked them about the discrepancy but they just brushed it off with their canned email reply.

Same thing with the black tailcap, they are prominently displaying a light with a green tailcap so looks to me as a blatant case of “green bait and black switch” :rage:

I realize why some people might want drivers without solder. I was puzzled as to why it seems like some people relate soldered drivers to fake lights. I thought I had seen it mentioned in previous threads and not understood the connection. If this particular light was 3x7135 and had solder points I would understand comments about solder but since this light is meant to have 6 chips the oddity would be a light without solder.

Factory notched retaining rings would be nice. It looks like they could be made pretty easily on a small cnc machine or similar, I should ask a friend if he can modify a few.

Lol, that might be a little harsh considering there was a batch of fakes not long after the red version was released.

Please do. It would be good to know.

Right there, in the description on their web site:

“Caution: The color of tail cap is subject to stock availability, we reserve the right to substitute for another color”

When did you see this warning? Personally I didn’t see it at the time we started this discussion.

The S2+ and C8s I own have a very slim ring
the 4 7135 are arranged in cross so there is noo need to solder the driver
The lights are about a year old

I a pretty sure he doesnt sell any soldered ones for a long time as his pictures show the design I have

It’s been there for weeks, if not since they put this product on. I know that because I’ve been eyeballing this light for a while now. Easy to miss though.

I saw it too and was hoping to get the black cap. The only convoy I have received with a green cap was a host. When I see the green caps on a flashlight on someone else’s site I wonder if they built it from a host.

http://www.kaidomain.com/p/S020343.16mm-D-x-8mm-H-Silicone-Tailcaps-Green-Fluorescent-Light-5-pcs

http://www.kaidomain.com/p/S024982.14mm(D)x8mm(H)-Silicone-Tailcaps-Multi-Color

http://www.kaidomain.com/p/S024943.12mm(D)x5_5mm(H)-Glow-in-the-dark-Silicone-Tailcaps-Green

All less than $2 for 5.

All C8 come with a retaining ring but I have never seen one from Simon on an S2+ with more than 4 chips, it must be quite new. Please post a picture.

nevermind it was a S3 that had the ring like C8, so also no pill light

Received mine today, the host itself it is genuine Convoy S2+ but the driver is not standard Convoy driver, although it is same basic 7135 based driver it is a bit different from other convoy lights i have/had.

Driver is labeled as FX-12 and it has different PCB and spring than the standard Nanjg 105C/105D.

I modded this light after owning it 10 min. Reflowed the stock led on noctigon board and swapped the driver for a 105c with 12 7135 chips, 8 stock + 4 380mA. Tail reading with DMM shows 4.21A with 25R.

Was it worth for the price? Yes, especially when i paid only $7.5.

It's now $9.99 on GB.

Still good price in my opinion :)

$9.95 is a very nice price on these lights .
although I must admit I really like the Blue one with the 4C and the metal clicky

Currently this light can be had for $9.99

http://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_44144.html