Is Z-1 the new standard

So I am learning. But I am encouraged because up until recently all my flashlights were the old styles and these LED blow them out of the water.

Thank you. I did look at the group buy and I admit it is a great buy for the price. Unfortunately not my style. I have to figure out how to get those lumens out of my L2P. :>)

Thanks for the welcome. You are probably right SolarForce will not be the new standard. There is certainly a whole world of light devices I never knew existed. I will do some exploring. However, I have to say I am very impressed by how much light comes out of this tiny Z-1 and all for $15.99. I can’t find a comparable that doesn’t need a build or modification. I may make my L2P my EDC but I suspect I will have the little Z-1 in my pocket where ever I go.

I have an Solarforce L2m shorty that uses one 18350 cell, it’s got a triple XP-G2 and the BLF17DD FET driver, makes a ton of light and is very impressive in looks. I have the crenelated SS tailcap and knurled head with crenelated SS bezel on it. Almost executive looking but can really put some light out.

That must put out a lot of heat on max setting. I like the concept. Must be like the sun going off when you turn it on. I don’t have the time or ability to hot rod drop ins. But I like the ideas I am reading on the blog.

If stock is impressive don’t look at this

Slow down everybody. P60’s are a classic. I’ve got quite a few and like children they grow on you. Best lego light out there!

L2M running 4 mode, 3.8 amp on a XM-L2 U2 using 18500’s with an A-001 head.
L2 runnig 4.5 amps on a MT-G2 using 2-18350’s or 2-18500’s with an extension.
L2’s with triples or Quads XP-G2’s hitting 5.6 amps.
A dozen other mixed and matched lights with SolarForce part (some one elses dropin).

The P60 lives on as a great utility light that actually has holsters that fit them.

can i ask where you purchased the mt g2 and triple and quad drop ins?

The quads are from kerberos0023 5.6 amp, VanIsleDSM 5.6 amp and Vinz 4.2 amp from CPF. The triple is a SPORTAC. Two MT-G2’s; one direct drive using two Kinoko 18350’s pulling about 3.5 amps. The other I did using http://www.mtnelectronics.com/opencart/index.php?route=product/product&path=67&product_id=53 running 3 amps.

Admin should move the last part of this thread to a SolarForce P60 thread. I think many people who are not interested in the Z-1 would like to read about some of the P60 mods. I like the SolarForce L2 series and would like to get more out of my LED. I’m not ready to DIY mods and am not interested into making a P60 into a pocket lighthouse. But I would like to get more out of my P60. But I am curious about some of the drop ins mentioned here.

The nice thing about the Z-1 is it has same-as-last-time-mode-memory, and just three levels (medium, bright, and blinky)

Also the Z-1 head fits on the Z-2 (AA) battery tube and works perfectly fine with a NiMH as well as with li-ion powering it

(the Z-2 has five modes, next-mode-memory, and a switch I wore out in a year of frequent use, with all the stupid clickery required to get the right brightness)

So I’m very happy with my Z-1-1/2.

Sent the Z2 head off a few days ago to someone who may have better luck than I in modding or repairing or finding some use for it.

Main problem with both Z-1 and Z-1 (and their clones the “Moon M-5” and “Moon M-6”) is the parts are pressure-fit and unmoddable.

EDIT: that’s for lights bought several years ago; below descriptions of the current different Z-1 and Z-2

Just an FYI Hank, (no idea about the clones) but the Z1 definitely unscrews. The pill screws into the head (glued but threaded) and the switch guts screw in too (down threw the body). In the link I posted CC mentions his tail cap’s were press fit but mine I just got last week were screw together everything.

My Z-1 is only three weeks old and comes with 4 levels, high, medium, low and moon. It doesn’t have memory so always starts at high level.

I'm still happy with my P60s... they are a great form factor, and inexpensive learning tool. My go-to belt-holster light is a P60 host because they are good performers and convenient sizes. My other lights are too big for carry. Even a C8 is bigger than I like for wearing on my belt.

My advice:

• Buy a few empty P60 pills with a combination of OP and SMO reflectors for XP-G and XM-L sized emitters
  • Buy a handful of emitters in varying tints on 16mm boards
  • Buy a few 105C/Qlite style drivers

...and get to modding!

Now where's Flashlight Foy when we need some informed SolarForce opinions! Laughing

How is the mode switching? The two I have took a full second once you tapped the button to change modes.

> My Z-1 is only three weeks old
Where did you get this new model? So they got rid of blinky, but lost mode memory. Hm.

Fasttech still has the older version (high, medium, blinky, and mode memory)

Got this pair direct from Solarforceflashlight-sales.com, fastest shipping I’ve ever had from anywhere in china (they’re always fast but this time was 5 days, ordered 8/13, got here 8/18). It may be because they messed up my last order but they also included a free SS P60 clip too.

I’m very happy with the build quality and the fact the tail comes apart (I had read it didn’t). The ONLY thing I don’t like is the driver, I would hate it had I planned on keeping them stock but these were bought as build hosts so it doesn’t bother me at all.

I also placed my order directly with SolarForce. Prices were great and shipping is only $2!! I couldn’t believe shipping of $2 from Hong Kong so I expected it would take a month for the package to arrive but it arrived here on the East Coast on the 8th day. I tracked the package the whole way and was amazed at the speed.

The modes change instantaneously, but if I click too fast the mode doesn’t change. The click has to be slightly slow and deliberate. I’d prefer a memory but for this tiny but powerful light I don’t mind and I carry it everywhere even when I have a P60 in my backpack. This light is so small and light I have no excuse but to carry it everywhere.

I also received the SS clip. They are giving them to all orders over $20. Wish they would give us our choice of gifts. I’d rather have some other pieces like spare bezels, or body extensions.

I like the blue . May have to get a spare in blue.

Well you have hit on something. I’m not really interested in a pocket lighthouse although some of them are quite impressive. I like the Solarforce L2 series. They have the right look, feel and balance for me. But I agree with you I would like to push the drop in a bit to get the most bright out of the light even if it means a shorter battery life (within reason). I’d just like to push it another 20% or so. But although doing this is not impossible. I just don’t have the time, or mechanical skills to learn all this and do the work. Unfortunately, it seems all the modders are looking to build pocket lighthouses. What we need to invent is a drop in with pop in interchangeable parts so people like me could mod our lights easily.

lalalalal…nevermind.

I was thinking of this one: http://www.dx.com/p/trustfire-z1-cree-xp-e-q5-3-mode-280-lumen-memory-led-flashlight-1-cr123a-1-16340-39671