Jacob A60 OUT OF STOCK

I think there is nothing wrong with your reflector. How do I know? I sold about 30 of them and all had same stock beam pattern as on your picture. So yes this looks like Jacob A60 to me.

This is not for white wall hunters this is for real hunters, and SMO reflectors does not have clean beam like OP anyway.

classic A60 - great performance, but ugly doin it Smile. You'd say it's a cheap setup with the plastic reflector, but, Fenix lights have plastic reflectors - doesn't matter accept for crazy amps maybe. I did have a plastic reflector melt a little, but that was at 5A+ in a little light with poor heat sinking.

This thread got me interested in my A60's again. I actually just did my first successful heat de-dome on a XP-E2 R3 1D0 (Mitko's). I practiced on 2 XML T6's first.

Tom E I have best luck with your gas de doming method and I really don't care for little greenish tint.

I did practiced on some old emitters but I almost never can get clear dome with hot de doming. Always some residue on top of emitter which should not be big deal in reflector lights but I am not putting that in aspherics.

I am pretty sure that there is no better 1X18650 reflector thrower in Jacob A60 size. 200+kcd is joke for Jacob and it disappeared from market???

So XP-E2 R3 de domed and driven at least to 2,5A should go to 220KCD.

The only thing that went down hill bout them is the lens I suppose - stock ones come in messy sometimes. Even still, great stock thrower with the XP-E, and like your say'n, capable of over 200 KCD. It is a bit old fashion - chunky, too much metal for today's budget light.

I'm gonna build one up with this de-domed XP-E2, then the other, do a red XP-E2 - not sure if de-domed or not...

My favorite 18650 EDC is the ZY-T11 clone at BangGood for like $9.50, but it's probably goin away soon, following the Jacob. That one though has the horrible stock UI (click thru all modes to exit) so I can understand it, but fully modded, it's a beautiful thing.

Hi!

In my jacob with dedome Xpe2 was powered harshly at 3A and did not reach to 180kcd…
Then reduced to 2.1A, and I got much lower temperature and barely pass 200kcd!! :smiley:

Yes, XP-E2's tested here (djozz): https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/32354 and here (match): https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/16621, they peak in the 2.45A range or so. After that, the lumens/throw drops off. I did a 2.8A XP-E2 once, and saw the output to be about the same as 2.45A, but lots of variations from LED to LED as djozz pointed out in his tests.

I wonder what the XP-E2 torch can do in the Jacob A60, if i understand things right if the XP-E2 R3 can do about 220kcd, the XP-E2 torch should be 2 flux bins higher with the “normal” XP-E2 R4 between them.
Is XP-E2’s flux bins also about ~7% like the XM-L2,XP-L & XP-G2?

Basically the Jacobs clone (Jing ge A60) is a complete fail then?

Nah, that’s how the real A60 looks too

The Jacobs A60 i have don’t throw as bad & as ringy as that in the photo above.

Hmm mine was that bad with the original emitter. It’s a little better now, but still the ugliest beam i own

Mine are ugly but they throw

I’ve gotten my beam to clean up pretty well. No artifacts in the spill. It does have a nasty large corona though. Worst parts about this light are the lens (15+ percent loss OTF) and that it’s no longer available…

How did you clean up the beam?

Mine is as ringy as the rings of saturn :smiley: it looks ridiculous on a white wall, of course out side where i would actually use it :slight_smile: I don’t see it fortunately.

But i am not sure i like the very large corona with the XP-G2. But that could be because i haven’t got it perfectly focused yet.

I made the mistake to build it the same day, i built my UF-1504 with a fully DD without a driver just driven from the battery, dedomed XM-L2 U4 1C.
For the Jing Ge A60 i used a XP-G2 S4 2B dedomed, driven the same way.

And the UF-1504 is just SO much stronger :smiley: with that perfectly square die spot intense solid looking beam, i really like it it looks great & easily the best thrower i have built yet :). And unfortunately my modded Jing Ge A60 pales in comparison.

The beam of the Jing Ge A60 with the XP-G2 S4 2B, looks to soft, it goes quite far, but i maybe haven’t gotten the focus right yet, because the spot is rather undefined & big at distance, for a XP-G2.

You confused me with this XP-E2 torch than I figured out that it may be new XP-E2 Led

Yes. Same thing happened to me(lux jump) when I took 2 7135 chips off 3A Vinhnguyen54 pill I ordered years ago.

Check out djozz test (who else :slight_smile: thanks djozz) on the XP-E2 Torch U5 flux bin. in post #81 :wink:

But we can’t buy them at our normal modding supply shops yet unfortunately, back then it was Mouser that had them.

Oh yes this XP-E2 torch should throw 220 kcd in Jacob even in case you picked up lowest performing one so it can be even better if little luck is involved. Djozz work is impressive equally as HKJ in batteries section. His threads needs to be merged in one as HKJ did on his web page.

I got my A60 with the de-domed XP-E2 R3 1D0 working. Put in a 20mm DD driver I had laying around - could be too much current, but I'm only seeing 150 kcd. I measured 2.79A tail. I'm using the translucent centering piece - tried loosening the bezel for focusing, but made no difference. I cleaned up the lens - it came out pretty clear now - it was cloudy originally. I didn't do any spring bypass's, using 24 AWG LED wires, and tried it with a Pana B cell to be sure I'm not further reducing resistance. May have to go with a 7135 driver, and try to pull the LED out further from the reflector.

The tint is the best I've seen on a de-domed LED though - looks like a XM-L2 3C or even 4C tint, really nice, no yellow, pure white hot spot, no yellow corona. The beam looks well focused, but I know that can be deceiving.

I have lots of these A60’s and if you are using the XP-G2 you need to get that emitter way up in the reflector, the only real way to do this is to grind off the entire bottom shelf at the base of the reflector, a little at a time once it is opened up and then play with centering.

I have one modded by 18sixfifty, De-Domed XP-G2 on Noctigon running Direct drive, control the amperage by what battery you use and it is great.
HTH
Later,

Keith

Ok, that is some good info thanks Muto :slight_smile:

I suspected i was way to far from the reflector to get a proper focus, the trouble is i have used fat 18awg wires, but the take to much room. And used a 20mm mcpcb pressfitted in.

I might change to a little thinner wires or place some tabs on the mcpcb to get the wires off the bottom of the reflector.