Jerommel's hand job CLIMAX (and anti-climax)

Pics in OP.

great effort and even greater result. I like this small flashlight :slight_smile:

I'm catching up on the contest threads, and just now read through your build thread of this very little, very nice flashlight, with many creative solutions for problems, it is one of my favourite form factors, and congratulations on making the deadline after so much hard work and so many setbacks. Hope you will take the time to do the anodising even though it will be past the deadline.

Top effort for making that driver :beer:

Looks great in the working photo.

I think you did an very good job Jerommel. Take your time finishing it and let us know. Making the deadline is the least interesting part of the contest (you sort of did make it: the light has worked), what matters is that some amazing flashlights have been made and this one of them (I like tiny lights :-) )

i like this light better than my factory-built single battery angle lights. :slight_smile: great job.

Ah dang…no happy ending?? :frowning:

Would you be willing to try with a 14500 Direct drive type driver, and perhaps a 10mm sinkpad would be better than a hacked down noctigon

Still very awesome build even though it fell thru…alot more skill, knowledge and work that I know how to even attempt

Well, i started out allright, but then i messed up the first attempt, and also nearly the second attempt…
It took me 1½ month to find the motivation again, because i thought it was just too hard to do this with the means and skills i have…
Then i came up with the 90° head, which is much more inspiring than a straight forward tube.
The hacked down Noctigon…
There’s not too much left of it, is there… :bigsmile:

Anyway, i rushed things a bit because of the deadline…
To be continued, definitely.
Though as we speak, i’m just putting the parts together in a baggy, disassembled…

I wish i could find smaller switches though.
Or maybe a driver with a momentary switch, which are much much smaller.
But maybe not such a good idea with AAA because of the standby mode when off (i.e. never really off…)

Have you read the timer was wrong. Its not over yet.

Jerommel wrote:

Thanks !
And you?
Are you gonna make it in time?
Talk about deserved pride !
You’re really good at it!

Thank you for the kind words. Unfortunately, I will not make it in time. My enemy was continual changes to the build plan and not knowing about a characteristic of aluminum that ended up stopping progress on Friday and Saturday.

Oh, well. I spent a ton of time and money on this, but I learned a lot. Like you, I kind of made a mess of things in the process. There's a lesson in there somewhere, but I need some time to decompress to figure out what it is.

Well, maybe next year. Best wishes on your trip to France. Viva Jerommel! Sorry, I don't know any French words.

sure ya do

C’est la vie

Gheh!
It’s me that’s over (for now).

This do not make sense to me, really. The flash look ok and finished to me. It can break yes it can, but, and what ? U can buy an factory light and it can brake, does this mean its not an finished product ? I think this flashlight deserve to be right there in the first page with the others.

Thank you.
I tend to agree.
But i’ll leave it to the organizers to decide.
I would have liked it to be on the page with the others though.

At the very least, and honorable mention

That is a very good point. Jerommel did actually complete the light and then it broke. I think it should be counted as completed and the judges can decide whether to deduct some points (or whatever) for quality of execution or something.

https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/25594#comment-558127

Thanks for putting a pic in there, OL.

Apart from the dome-eating-TIR the design was flawed…
A stupid idea to have a TIR twisting tight on the LED.

Optics often have a cylinder cast in the edge where the molten plastic was injected into the mold and this can be use as a key to keep the optic from turning. If absent, a notch cut into the flange with a corresponding rib in the head can serve the same purpose but in either case the optic should not touch the dome. In fact, to get best results, as little of the optic as possible should be in contact with the host.

I think that depends on the LED - TIR combination.
I have some that work best with XP-G2 when it’s tight in position, the TIR presses the MPCB against the pill.
Twisting it would probably ruin that XP-G2 too…
Pity i used expensive LEDs to find out this obvious logic…