Just for the fun of it - Some of my mods

A while back out of boredom, desire or a reason to just play with flashlights and improve my electronics and programming skills, i really started getting into modding flashlights. So i thought i might just make a thread for any random mods and experiments i may happen to do. i also have a few random or insane ideas that i may try to bring into existence.

One of my first interesting and not so plain mod’s:

The Lumintop Copper prince with a quad stuffed inside:
4x Cree XP-L HI V2 3B LED
17mm DrJones H17F Driver w/ lucidrv2
20mm TPAD Quad XP DTP Copper MCPCB
10621 Carclo Lens - 4-UP Quad Spot Optic
TODO: Dark heat treat the clip

Done just for the fun of it and to see if i could stuff that big ol quad mcpcb into it.

Had to create a custom spacer to fill in empty space, as i dont have proper tools to machine one i took a series of copper 20mm OD washers and soldered them together then stuffed it all in, and it all worked a treat.

There are some losses with trimming the edge of the optic but a before and after test actually showed very little if any visible change, except for one thing which is a square light pattern. (i’ll try and get a beamshot later.)

Latest mod, Astrolux X5 copper host, Quad 219c:
mtn-17ddm; bistro firmware
20mm TPAD Quad XP DTP Copper MCPCB
10621 Carclo Lens - 4-UP Quad Spot Optic
4x Nichia 219C D320 5000K LED’s
custom quad mcpcb spacer; Thanks kiriba-ru!

still have some work to do to it, plan to add a dark heat treated clip and throw together a small wooden storage case.

i have built up multiple lights with the (mtn-17ddm-Bistro) and don’t remember coming across this issue before and would like to see if anyone else has any ideas on whats wrong and what the fix might be; Having the odd issue where the light will always go down to a lower light level after just about 5 seconds when on turbo.

Things also tried with no change:

- Turned off thermal protection

- ‘factory reset’

- Different batteries

• benchtop cc/CV power supply
    (When using the supply the driver makes a audible high pitched whine when it goes to the lower mode)

Meanwhile my USB programmer and soic clip finally arrived, so time to start playing with some customized firmware.

i will post updates in this thread once i start but plans are brewing for a possible first. the pointless but fun project of a “Internet of things” flashlight with features such as Wifi, USB charging and needlessly over powered. :smiley:

Nice stuff here.
Glad you are doing it “just for the fun of it” :smiley:

Gotta have fun, right?

Nicest work I've seen in awhile here. Nice job, very nice.

Wauw nice work!
Love to see a beam shot of that first.
Heck I like to see a beam shot of the other one as well :smiley:

I may try to get some beam shots this weekend if its actually dark enough. try to get some comparisons with one of my other triples and break out the Meteor M43 and T6vn for fun.

The square light profile of the prince amuses me.

Nice work

Your loving your quads. The step down could possibly be a crook earth somewhere. Keep up the good work and thanks for posting your mods up.