Just got my Sky Ray King from Fasttech - New driver?

Ok, so I’ve been loving my EA4W. It’s nice and bright for 4 AA batteries. I also decided that I wanted something a little brighter- not sure why, but I did. I ordered the Sky Ray King in CW from Fastech a few weeks ago and it took them about 4 or 5 days to ship it because they were out of stock - I’m pretty sure I didn’t see that on the website page but whatever.

I’ll admit- while it was noticeably brighter than my EA4W I was expecting it to kill it. I was a little disappointed that it didn’t- but maybe my expectations were too high. So I decided to open it up and look at the driver after hearing the controversy about revisions.

Anyway this is what I found.

Now, I’ve seen about 3 other revisions and this one looks slightly different. I mean it’s nice and clean… Although the LEDs aren’t exactly centered on at least one…. And the reflector could be smoother too…

Now, to be honest I read about checking the tailcap readings, but I don’t understand how to do it on the king. In the screw holes? I tried that unsucessfully.

Also it gets pretty warm but after 10 minutes or so it isn’t too hot to hold- just a little uncomfortable.

Love it!!!

May we have a link to the SRK you bought?

Yep. It’s the CW Gold One FastTech sells.

https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10003058/1228800-sky-ray-king-3cree-xm-l-u2-3-mode-2500-lumen-led-f

Thanks. That appears to be the same page that Dale ordered his.

I can say with certainty that that is not the more desireable buck driver. I was under the impression that FT’s Kings had the regulated 3-toroid buck driver. Other members, please chime in.

Edit: you should check with FT’s CS and see if they are aware of the difference. I trust them enough to think they wouldn’t knowingly send you the cheaper model of SRK when the product page touts it as being the higher quality of two versions they carry.

Here we go…

The PWM is also noticeable if you move the flashlight quickly and it makes an audible noise. To be honest though I won’t be using the low mode at all. I took it backpack camping last night, and used it to wash dishes at night, but used my EA4W as my tent light because of the nicer low modes.

I’m not necessarily ragging on it… I do like it. It’s bright… I just was expecting a little more after all the hype here. I spent roughly the same amount of money on this and the EA4W including batteries… And for the money the EA4W seems to be the better value. I have never spent more than $25 on a light before.

Oh also I’m using the 2600 Sanyos 18650s from Fasttech to power it. So its a $57 dollar light. And my EA4W is a $59 light if you include the 3rd generation eneloops I bought for it….

The SRK discussion is unending… Lol :bigsmile:

I gotcha!

But, I will say this… It surprised me. It does everytime I click it on. Being a fan of ‘BIG’ lights… This thing is a sleeper. Best $36 I have ever spent. And NO, I am not taking it apart & looking at the driver. Last time I did that things didnt work out too good for me! :stuck_out_tongue:

Just one question, how come on THIS page there is 4 different SkyRays? They’re selling cheaper ones and more expensive ones, why is this?

EDIT: Okay I’ve just realised that the more expensive one is warm white and the cheaper one is cold white. I didn’t think a warm white would cost $10 more?

Maybe that just goes to show what a great light the EA4 is.
Now having said that, I ordered a different light from FT. I got the Fandy Fire version. It is a little different than the one you got. There is alot of difference between this light and my EA4. EA4 does throw better that’s for sure.

Can anyone point me to a video or thread with pics, that shows how to do a tailcap reading on the thing?

I know you take the tailcap off… But where do you run your leads?

I was wondering the same thing. I purchased the (cheaper) cold white SRK from FastTech, and even though I am still not sure if it is a “real” one or a clone, I am very happy. My brightest light by far.

Of course I needed to buy 4 new batteries to power it, and a charger for those new lithium batteries, but I am still happy.

Happy, happy, happy.

That’s good! At least we know it’s not a complete dud :slight_smile:

Did you get gold or black?

I love that set up. Congrats!

Gold.
I am trying to keep up with all the different threads as to the “real” ones.

My SRK has a nice fit and finish, and is bright!

I have not heard of any “complete dud”s” even from the clones.

That’s good :slight_smile:

Well I’ve seen people post that they’re totally un-impressed with their SRK and it’s not much better than their other lights which are much lower powered.