Just ordered a Maxa Beam

Don’t bother. Unless you are putting an IR module on your firearm to aim it at night and only momentarily don’t bother. All IR does is draw a lot of attention to yourself with others that use NVGs.

Nice thanks!

So a 90Wh battery.

Interestingly one could run this off a small portable power station. Many of them have 12V out (cigarette lighter).
I have some 100Wh soda can Renogy Phoenix 100 power stations, but it puts out USB and 120V AC, not 12V.

Anyone know what model bulb it uses?
I tried looking up Xenon lumens/watt but 30-90 lm/w is not helpful

Ya it’s 96Wh and 7.5Ah. I had it on max brightness for a good 30+ minutes and I barely had hooked it up to the included charger when I got home and it read fully charged.

The Serial # is BL8-M20780

One of the reasons I bought direct from Peak is that older lights need their software updated to have features like constant high. That would mean I’d need to send it to Peak at my own expense of course and it just seemed to be a huge hassle. Who knows how long the bulb has been used in a used light or if it’s been dropped.

I feel confident that this one will last me a long, long time!

What did you pay for it? New/used? If used what was the condition?

I bought a new from the manufacture and paid a little under three grand for this package:

I did bump into a guy on eBay, who sells used ones I can give you his information if you like

1 Thank

That’s a serious light. It’s in my future, one day. I would also get it new. I imagine these things get abused while in active service.

Ha yeah I’ve wanted one since I saw the first Jurassic Park movie. I’ll definitely use it but it’ll be a little bit of a collector’s piece for me too

Cool)
Any chance you can find out the model number of the bulb inside it?

1 Thank

Hey, sorry for the late reply. I’m not sure how to determine that… I do know that it has the new reflector coating with improved visible and infrared reflectivity released (G3-26A).

I asked Annie from Peak Beam for more details. Dig this:

I’m so happy to hear you’re loving your Maxa Beam. And yes! Your MBS-410 Searchlight definitely has Peak Beam’s new enhanced reflector coating which was released for the MBS-410 series on 1/1/23. Your light’s output was measured at 14,100,000 CandlePower before shipment. :blush:

Your CPF contact is correct that Peak Beam doesn’t advertise a higher candela (CandlePower) rating with the new coating. Here’s a bit more background about our published output spec and the increased output from the new coating:

1 Thank

I recently acquired one from a surplus seller on ebay. It’s a complete “escalation of force” package in a non wheeled case, it looked to be basically NOS with many components still sealed in plastic and a sealed replacement bulb kit. According to the folks at Peak it shipped in 2002, it has an INS sensitive property label and the INS was disbanded 6 months after its ship date in 2003.
One thing I find beyond comprehension is that the Nicad batteries are still good. One is 92% of rated capacity and the other is 110%. I also have a homemade battery pack made from a small hard case containing a 15ah Lifepo4 battery that attaches to the lamp with their adapter plate and has a matching AMP connector.

I know they seem old hat to many folks, but I have yet to find anything that beats its overall capabilities in practical use on acreage to spot and discourage 2 and 4 legged intruders.

1 Thank

Post some pics if you have time. We love lights.

NOS? EOF package. I transferred the spare bulb and other small accessories to a mini Pelican case.

My other Maxa Beam, also acquired in like new condition with a lamp, lens, and connector kit with my homemade power pack.

With a little shaving and creativity, the 15ah Amped Lifepo4 just fits. Run times are 290 min on low, 223 min on normal, 113 on high.

The hard case is from Amazon, Amazon.com

2 Thanks

It does look like new.

You’re going to love it! I’m at 40 deg N latitude so I’m still waiting for darkness to fall for my flashlight addiction :slight_smile: I haven’t been using mine much lately but it’s magnificent for throw.

Already do, I’ve been using an early 80’s Collins Dynamics Gen 56 for “field duty”, the Maxa Beam is a huge step up.

I looked at some zoomable LEP’s but their “flood” is way to narrow. The LED’s I looked at have incredible flood at reasonable power levels, but have heat and duration issues at the throw range and CP I was looking for. There are some other HID’s I like but cost and/or availability seem to be an issue. I was very happy when I came across a couple of Maxa beams in the right condition and price, they do exactly what I was looking for but I had been overlooking them due to their cost new.
I’m so pleased with them that I’m going to have one upgraded to the latest reflector and lamp.

That looks so cool.

How does the Maxa Beam compare with the Streamlight Litebox HID?

BIG…

I considered one as I have a couple of regular Liteboxes and really like them.
The HID head is huge, almost the size of a regular Litebox and the battery box is deeper. It has a SLA so it’s surprisingly heavy too.
I haven’t used one, but the stats and reviews I’ve found show its output compares favorably with other well known high end HID’s costing 3x-4x more.

Compaired to a Maxa Beam? Kinda apples and oranges as its fixed focus with <3X the lumens and only 1/12 the CP. With it’s defuser it should outperform a MB in flood mode and be totally outperformed in throw.

Cool thanks.