Just recieved badly damaged Wallbuys flashlight, how bad is this?

I see this as a very poor attempt to actually make a connection to the negative side of the driver. It is very tough to solder to aluminum so everyone tries something different. in this case, I think the “flaw” is intentional to make contact.

I have fixed issues like this in a different manner. I would solder a wire slightly bigger than those little “scallops” and letting the press-fit operation ensure contact with the housing by letting the wire flatten a little. the more wires, the better the contact.

On the face of it, this is a very poor implementation but the damage is minimal. I would be rebuilding the pill assembly.

I showed them the thread and they offered me $2.00 back, or a 15% discount on my next order, if I ever make one.

I have never modded a flashlight and think only in terms of brand new, I don’t want to take this damaged thing and store it away as just a loss. Almost every light that I have bought from Wallbuys was a Fenix (9 of them since I joined BudgetLightForum), which tells you where I am on dealing with junk and things that I can’t depend on, or in this case, came to me in a state of already being damaged in a way that is internal and part of it’s electronics.

I realize you can get a damaged product from anyone. It is WHAT HAPPENS after that[customer service] that is important.

I know this probably won’t be popular but I will say it anyway!!

Considering my first statement I still feel it is important to buy reputable products from reputable Dealers.

My first few months of flashaholicism I bought of a company called T-Mart[this is where I become unpopular being this is BLF!]. I got a lot of JUNK because I did not know any better! From flashlights to phony mAh advertized/re wrapped/re cycled L. Ion batteries.

I NEVER buy over seas anymore. I stick w/ illumination supply, Fenix Outfitters, Going Gear, Battery Jct. ect. Where if[rare cases] there products have failed, I am assured great Customer service!

Basically you get what you pay for!

That is SAD,and more proof what a feeble company they are!! $2.00 back!!! That is a slap in the face!! 15% off? Not much better!! HOW ABOUT A NEW/FREE OF DEFECT FLASHLIGHT?!!!

All I need is the head shipped to me.

If I understood their email correctly, they admit doing the damage themselves.

“”we do have a restrict QC before your package left from our warehouse. especially for the group buy product . as the group buy batch is aluminum reflector, we do the QC for every T08 to ensure it is aluminum reflector. I thought probably our QC staff push it too hard when they did QC , I 100% assure that we send all lights in new condition, if by any chance there something wrong with it, please be rest assured that we will responsible for this. According to the damage doesn’t effect the function, I make you compensation fund of $2””

But it looks like you’re not the only one having problems with them. There’s a page full of Dealer Ratings, where Wallbuys is rated ‘’AVOID’’.

Sorry you didn’t see that before you committed to send them your hard-earned money. Posting a brief precis and a link to this thread might help the next guy. Thanks for “taking one for the team”, although I know that doesn’t ease the pain.

You always wanted to learn how to mod anyway, right?

I’ve been dealing with Wallbuys since December of 2012, this is the first serious problem.

They aren’t saying they are responsible for the damage per se, but they will take responsibility for not packaging it enough etc.

Would they have been inside the light, pushing on something to damage that part, or do they think that I am complaining about a cosmetic scratch on the outside?

“QC”?? Why would “QC” be involved in stuffing a hard, sharp object into the ring surrounding the driver, causing multiple gouges, then levering it far enough and hard enough to cause the fiberglass PCB to delaminate?

That’s not normal, in any modern sense of the term “Quality Control”. And if it were “QC”, why did this unit pass & not get sent back for remanufacturing??

Besides, “QC” is a function of the MANUFACTURING process, not the purview of anyone in the reseller channel! Smacks of a blatant false statement to me… Rather than tip-toeing around it, let me say the word “LYING”, as in the person who would claim this has anything to do with “QC” is LYING to you.

Not trying to get into your business, but if you paid by PayPal or Credit Card, you could go to the payer to open a dispute / claim / whatever they call it where they take the money back from the seller’s account & replace it in yours.

Unfortunately, other than your completely-appropriate public “outing” of this mess, that’s about the only way you can be made whole if the seller refuses to take responsibility.

Meanwhile, I find it helpful (to my dignity, if not the process) to settle in to a long abusive dialog with them, using whatever words I deem appropriate, accusing, insulting, demeaning, everything I feel a need to “blow off steam” for, gets heaped on their Inbox, and if they try to ignore me I find others in their organization I can abuse (verbally ONLY, of course) until I find my way to the “big boss” who gets “both barrels” until he puts some kind of technological “block” on me, whereupon I use another E-mail address and start all over again. But that’s not for everybody, and it usually only makes me feel happy; although it is often successful ultimately. There is much value in blowing off all the accumulated steam you feel against some A-HOLE who desperately deserves it…

But that’s just me.

It’s because it’s press fit.
Quite normal and not a real problem.
The PCB is designed to cope with nicks like that.
Every 90° there are the through holes
I.m.o. you should buy more expensive light if you think it’s a problem.
One that has the PCB soldered or fixed with a ring or something.

+1

Did you use paypal to pay…file a complaint thru them, have them go to to toe with the dealer since they want to jerk you around…absolute insult to give you $2 for a defective light

Is it defective?

Word games are just too much fun to resist?

Yes, it has a defect. Defect…ive. Defective.

Defective = Not working … non functioning … but also FLAWED or IMPERFECT even if still functional.

It is obviously damaged, and not by accident; and the OP stated it flickers.

That’s consciously broken on purpose, for no legitimate reason.

Full Definition of DEFECTIVE
a : imperfect in form or function : faulty < a defective pane of glass >
b : falling below the norm in structure or in mental or physical function

So the answer is “YES”, this item is, by Webster’s, DEFECTIVE. The intentional damage makes it even worse.

I cannot imagine the kind of reasoning that would lead to the conclusion that the OP should just forget about it and send them even more money for a more expensive light! What exactly did you mean by that?

It works as it should though…

I’ve had the same on some flashlights.
It is not a problem, it is designed to withstand chipping.

BTW, the 3 scratches next to the cracked bit are remnants of the through holes that are cut along with the circumference.
Those are to assure contact with the pill.

I agree it doesn’t look so nice though…

Sorry, I had to edit my last post before you posted this.

Still, by what criteria do you claim it’s NOT defective?

I edited mine accordingly… :slight_smile:

… but now I’m even MORE confused.

Even YOU acknowledged “the cracked bit”.

The OP mentioned flickering in the first post.

The light is a 2P body & the screwing in/out of the head will eventually cause “the cracked bit” to fall out.

Is “DAMAGE” not equal to “DEFECTIVE”, as I mistakenly suggested before reading the dictionary definition of the word?

I’m too tired for this. Good night to all!

Dim