Just recieved badly damaged Wallbuys flashlight, how bad is this?

Is it defective?

Word games are just too much fun to resist?

Yes, it has a defect. Defect…ive. Defective.

Defective = Not working … non functioning … but also FLAWED or IMPERFECT even if still functional.

It is obviously damaged, and not by accident; and the OP stated it flickers.

That’s consciously broken on purpose, for no legitimate reason.

Full Definition of DEFECTIVE
a : imperfect in form or function : faulty < a defective pane of glass >
b : falling below the norm in structure or in mental or physical function

So the answer is “YES”, this item is, by Webster’s, DEFECTIVE. The intentional damage makes it even worse.

I cannot imagine the kind of reasoning that would lead to the conclusion that the OP should just forget about it and send them even more money for a more expensive light! What exactly did you mean by that?

It works as it should though…

I’ve had the same on some flashlights.
It is not a problem, it is designed to withstand chipping.

BTW, the 3 scratches next to the cracked bit are remnants of the through holes that are cut along with the circumference.
Those are to assure contact with the pill.

I agree it doesn’t look so nice though…

Sorry, I had to edit my last post before you posted this.

Still, by what criteria do you claim it’s NOT defective?

I edited mine accordingly… :slight_smile:

… but now I’m even MORE confused.

Even YOU acknowledged “the cracked bit”.

The OP mentioned flickering in the first post.

The light is a 2P body & the screwing in/out of the head will eventually cause “the cracked bit” to fall out.

Is “DAMAGE” not equal to “DEFECTIVE”, as I mistakenly suggested before reading the dictionary definition of the word?

I’m too tired for this. Good night to all!

Dim

The flickering mentioned could be a dirty battery pole.
I don’t know.
And what do we know?
We have one picture and a disappointed owner to go by.

I think me and others have explained how this visible surface edge is nicked / chipped.
Again, it’s designed to withstand that without defect / malfunction.

I would take it out to check on the other side of the PCB to be sure though.

For the record, I would be a little disappointed too if my new torch had a damaged PCB like this.
It would depend on the price range of the torch if this is to be considered normal or not.
Yet, it is quite normal for pressed in PCB’s that this occurs.

Would you accept something brand spanking new out of the box with cracks/defects of that magnitude…even if it was “budget”?

I edited my post.
I think the answers are there.

Many had trouble with the Wallbuys [2012] Xmas Sale.

Also:
From Seller
2/5/2013

Dear [Sucker]

Can you tell me your order number. We have a holiday, if possible, you can contact us in February 19th, if your order is a problem and you can wait until we find out in February 19th, [Feb 19 is past the 45-day Paypal dispute deadline.]

we will repeat your order,
and will send a small gift for you.

Thank you for your understanding,

—————————
Date: 2/20/2013

hi sir
so you mean you get the money, right?
it means because we are in holiday for half a month, so we can not reply your email, so we write some words in paypal to you

and we promise that we ship your order, but you can not receive it, so we refund the money to you, if you receive the goods after some days, then that goods will as a free gift for you

thank you for your support, and best wishes

……
I am still waiting for a small/free gift and the repeat order.

I guess this is just one of those cases where some of us are willing to tolerate a lot more abuse from a vendor/reseller than others. Hey, a worm in an apple is just free protein, right?

Sorry about the outburst last night, y’all. It was late, I was tired, and NONE of this makes any sense.

Yes I insist that “Let the Buyer Beware” is a valid, Primary Law of Commerce, but the corollary to that is, “Don’t Buy From This Guy”, or “Let The Seller Eat His Own Rotten Crops”. In a Free Market, “Reputation” is more useful than “Regulation”.

Thank you all for warning me to never share my limited wealth with these “Wallbuys” people. Thank you to BLF for providing a forum where facts like these about a vendor’s reputation and behavior can be brought out in plain view.

I guess this is just one of those cases where everyone is eager to criminalize vendors, regardless of their actual guilt.

Topic starter should check the other side though.
It’s easily prised out, usually.
But may be tough to get back in.

Is there a way to see the PCB from the other side?

Selling a defective item is hardly criminal and no one is suggesting it is. Its one of those things that happens, as is the process of obtaining a replacement for it. No crime is committed.

It’s not defective.

Selling broken stuff as new is not legal.

You keep saying this. Your English is clearly challenged.

Defective, does not mean “not working”. A not working item is ALSO defective, but it does not have to fail to operate to be classed as defective. Defective has the word ‘defect’ in it for a reason. A simple defect, renders an item defective by definition. A dent is a defect, a scratch is a defect, not working is a defect.

It would be illegal in many places to DELIBERATELY sell defective items. No law is broken when an item slips past quality control. And people have a right to expect the defective item to made good.

It really isnt this hard.

* insert picture of cat

dancing bear

or

a baby seal having mixed martial arts dreams