LaserLight SMD by SLD Laser

I have no idea where and when it will be sold, but I asked and received a (fairly limited) datasheet, and must say that looks quite perfect. The partnr. is 910-00003

I’m reluctant to reproduce images from the datasheet, no idea about copyrights, but here’s some data on the new component:

*it is a 7x7mm SMD component of 2.6mm height that contains the complete package: laser plus phosfor plus inbuild safety. In fact it is pictured on a standard size 20mm star than can be ordered with the component reflowed on it (910-00004). There have been drawings of this component before but it seems an actual product now.

*Voltage 8.7 V, current 1.65 A, sounds like completely compatible with flashlights. Perhaps it needs a carefully designed driver, I’m not an expert but from what I gathered, lasers are more finicky than leds.

*output 450 lm of 6000K 70CRI white light, from a 0.35 x 0.35 mm emitting surface, so 0.122mm2. Sounds like comparable with the LEP-lasers used by Acebeam, Maxtoch and Weltool.

*max operating temperature 50 degC. It is a laser so must be cooled well!

This thing is more versatile than the LEP-modules currently used because you can use it in a common reflector if you like. You could even make it an aspheric with wavien collar.

Let’s see if this makes it into a flashlight soon :slight_smile:

1 Thank

I love when you say I’m no expert. In my eyes you kindof are. Lol…eitherway, LEP is some cool stuff and thanks for sharing :slight_smile:

450Lm with 70CRI out of 14,4W - that is Year 2000 efficiency of LEDs :smiley:
Yes, I understand, DIE-area is super small, but nevertheless this is pretty much just pre-pre-alpha

Yes, my first 70CRI Rebels from back in 2009 were 60lm/W, this is half of that :smiley:

You’re on the right track. Im looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Then again, 450lm out of a die size 1/8th the area of the White Flat? :open_mouth:

Yep, that is the selling point :open_mouth:

I asked if they sell samples and they just got back to me, yes they do, 250 dollar each, and only with completed nda.

A bit steep for checking something out that I do not even know how to drive properly.

Well, I guess ask them too for specifics on how to properly drive it and how to cool it. But, if you can’t talk about it, what good would it be to have it? You could test it, but couldn’t tell anyone your results? I guess you would have the thing, so you could put it in a small host with a boost driver (maybe?) and have the ultimate pocket thrower.

Yes, no fun to be not allowed to tell the world about it :frowning:

Just looked at the videos on their website. Looks great!

However, $250 for a sample and an NDA so you can’t talk about it is a no go.

Hopefully, they’ll make them cheaper in the future without the NDA.

NDA is the price to pay of immediate knowledge that you could (but you would not be allowed to anymore) do it much better by yourself. THIS is sad.

djozz, could you ask:

• what will be retail price
  • when will it be available
  • when will the NDA be lifted

?

31 lm/W is bad but not terrible.
Osram thrower LEDs are not even specced to deliver 70 CRI and they max out below 50 lm/W - while throwing far far worse.

Temperature bugs me. It takes a pretty serious host to cool it down so well continuously.

I can answer you enquiry now, based on my own experience. The price of LEP light engine depends on quantity. 250 USD is around the starting net price. There is no something like retail price of it as it is just a component of the retail or OEM product. It is available immediately from now but right after your NDA signage. There is no specified date or reason for NDA lift.

And from me what I can tell you that LEP is cutting edge of lighting technology in many industries where heavy investment and profit will take place. Flashlights are just a content as a tiny vapour of a whole content.

I told the lady from SDlaser that I’m not interested in an official quote as yet, but first wanted to find out how to drive the LEP-unit properly, and collect funds for it (as in: until I’m prepared to sink large sums of money in my hobby again :cry: )

I spoke to an employee at Light Fair and played with the demos they had there. They are currently selling direct to a few big customers but expect to be in distribution eventually with a component cost of about $50. 6500K only (it’s a phosphor limitation, you can’t really get any red in there with such a high flux density). They’re based on 450nm laser diodes which is the same technology as the 1/2/4W blue lasers that have been popping up in recent years - not too complicated to drive and pretty forgiving of imperfect electronics. There are two of the laser diodes in the package that fire down at 45 degrees onto the phosphor.

That sounds promising!

Comrade, the correct phrasing is : 31 lm/W, not great, not terrible.

Put seven of these into a bigger host and things get interesting!

There used to be a BLF development fund. We may try to restart it though we would need to make sure it doesn’t end up the way the previous did.
I believe such assurance is possible to make…
We only need to maintain a pair of trusted BLFers holding the keys.
When one disappears, the other changes the keys and shares them with one another.

2 is a number large enough to reasonably rule out simultaneous disappearance yet small enough to to reasonbly believe the trust won’t be breached.

As to technical issues - there are many handheld lasers available. The laser community figured them out.
I believe we can learn from them….and while I still don’t have any idea of how to cool them down I believe it’s possible to do it well enough.
Actually I have a hunch that “well enough” is significantly more than 50 °C. :wink:

This stuff is pretty exciting. You say it's like 2000s LEDs, so I think about what LEP will do in 15 years.

I get that the stuff is big money. The automobile industry (for headlights) is obvious, but so many applications would love efficient lux. If you can start replacing short-arcs in any application, there's reasons to pay for it. Smaller size, decreased power, increased longevity, decreased complexity...

I can't wait until Enderman gets his hands on one.