Leatherman Tool

Looks like I made a good choice with the Wave.

Of course, I did research before buying it, but I don't remember how that research went.

A bit off topic, but some of the full sized Nextool multitools are so nice that I think they're almost as good as a Leatherman.

(I hear that the smaller Nextool multitools aren't made nearly as well, though.)

Fat flat screwdriver will brake off if used as a pry bar. once i let someone borrow it, and they destroyed scissors, old wave had a solid phillips driver, it did brake off when i was braking lose overtightened screw. and few other similar reasons,
Wave plus has replaceable wire cutting inserts now.

Amazing… so you abused your Wave, caused damage to it by employing beyond design limits, and Leatherman just replaced it? No questions asked? That’s… unbelievable.
Yes, good to see the Wave Plus has those wire cutting replaceable inserts. Maybe if mine ever gets damaged enough to require replacing, I’ll step up to the Plus. But I have to say, I love the original for its ruggedness and shape. I really appreciate the edges being chamfered, so comfortable to grip. My SOG Powerlock isn’t as smooth.

I also have to remark about the blades. Wow, are they sharp! I’m hoping it’s 440C steel. Edge retention seems very good.

Yep, they just replaced it, that is unbelievable, right? lol, that is why i only buy tools from them, now and in the future. but do not worry about them, they got much more of my money than it cost them to fix\replace my tools, much more.
it is not 440c. its 420hc, not sure if it is good or bad.

Here’s my set. First two are original edition, third one is one or two versions later (seems to be an old Wave+, without the “+”). You can instantly tell from the name stamping. I didn’t have a case of the 3rd one, so I managed to find this old flip-phone case with magnetic clasp that handles it perfectly. The case is long discontinued—can’t find another one.

As you can see, they don’t really get a lot of action these days! Great shape. The later model (far right) was bought used and last owner had been aggressive with the pliers—you can see the metal edging is gouged a bit.

SOG PowerLock:

This is what i have left, which is 1/3or 1/4 of what i had over decades.

My Leatherman Wave is so old that it came in a leather pouch.

It was in new condition when I bought it even though I think it's quite an old model.

Impressive! So I think you’ve confirmed for me — the original Wave+ used an ® suffix, no plus sign. Then later they replaced it as “Wave+”. Since you have both, are there any functional or design differences aside from the obvious replaceable wire cutter blades?

Thanks, nope, aside from the inserts, and a bit wider pliers, they are identical.

Apparently the Leatherman Rev is a piece of crap. So says AvE

LOL, thanks for the laugh. totally worthless as a review, but funny nonetheless.

Well, he does point out the sht build quality compared to the better Leatherman. Enough of a review for me, in fact, great review

Naw, he points out cosmetic details and totally confuses good with the bad, like lack of sharpened edge on a non replicable wire cutters. Does not look like he actually uses them, or he’d know it is a bad thing to do, he also falsely believes that casting is somehow worse than forging, it is not, at least not with Leatherman, (another reason i think he does not use the tool) i’ve ued one, (or a dozen or two, over 2 decades), and never in my life broke pliers, broke other parts, but not pliers, and i often use them in above the designed capacity.
Seems to me the guy values qualities that are not important in real use. that is why i believe that particular review pretty much has no value to anyone who buys tools to work with them.

After I lost my Gerber Crucial I searched for a simple and affordable multitool with pocket clip to replace it. I bought Rev and it’s much better built than Crucial. Sturdier also. Only negative I have with it are non lockeable screwdriver tools. They can be annoying.

Good points made. Frankly, the wire cutters on the original Wave are not meant for regular use—more of last resort, “in a pinch.” The Wave+ amends this by adding replaceable wire cutter blades. I’ve used them only a few times in the distant past. I’ve got a multi-sized wire cutting tool with grooves for removing insulation. That’s my favored tool for that kind of task.

But the great thing about Leatherman is the customer service & warranty. What other brand offers a full 25 years? Also, from what I’ve seen posted, it sounds like they’re quite generous on it. The warranty explicitly says abuse of the tool is not covered, and yet there are people who got theirs replaced after abusing it.

Btw, I communicated with Leatherman customer service and they confirmed that a security Torx 10 screw is what’s used on the Wave, in case you ever need to tighten it up.

Agreed, their warranty is the best, and tools are great. even old wave’s wire cutters are pretty good, i would not use it on hardened steel, but i used it on copper wires, and tubes and small nails quite often, it bites soft metals without much effort. Now if you sharpen it, it will get dull, and edges bent in no time, and when edges bend, pliers often lock up closed and become useless. Even thou SS is pretty strong, it can not hold sharp edge as well as hardened tool steel. they way it comes form a box, the cutters have optimal edge for cutting power and durability.

I can also confirm their warranty is great. I bought a charge of internet without a receipt years ago. After braking the pliers in pieces I bought the heavy duty surge. Sent the charge in to see what would happen and everything got fixed for free. Even got the replaceable cutters now.

How did you break your pliers??

I tried to pull out a big nail. The piers broke when I started twisting and rolling up the nail.