LED choices for channel switching

After my initial burst of purchasing last fall, there has been a pause. Now I’m ready for another light. I don’t have a Hank light, which feels like it needs fixing. The dual channel KR4 TI+Copper seems like it would be a treat.

I’m trying to figure out what to do with the LED choices. I’m thinking about switching between something floody and neutral/warm (519A 4500 de-domed) and something throwy, bright and cool (SST20 6500K). I’ve seen comments that using different emitters will pretty much make tint ramping unusable, which I understand if you are going for a very specific color. But what about when you are combining different beam patterns? My other thought was to stick to all 519A (5700K domed and 2700K de-domed). Or maybe just stick to one color (519A 4500K) and have one channel domed and the other de-domed.

Thoughts appreciated.

2 Thanks

Maybe a floody thrower… !?

It’s not a Hank light, but the Convoy S21F is 4x 519 2700K- 5700K and has CCT ramping. Assuming the bezel unscrews, and you have some tweezers, dedoming the 2700K 519a should be straightforward.

FWIW, I’ve a DW4 with boost driver and 4000K XPL-Hi and it’s definitely not “throwy”!

1 Thank

Dual channel Hank light with SST20’s in 6700k paired with more SST20s in 5000K.

Do it. It’s the ultimate anti-enthusiast enthusiast light. And also I feel like it’s going to a nice restaurant and asking for your steak well done with a side of ketchup lol.

But if the chef doesn’t like it they shouldn’t have written the menu out in a way that allows for this travesty.

So I ordered the light with 519a 5700k domed and 2700k dedomed.

Jeff - thanks for the dining analogy, very helpful! Is what I did still well done with ketchup? Or is it more of a surf and turf?

My thinking is, what’s the point of different channels unless you’re going to put fairly different emitters in them? I can see why 6700 and 5000 is weird, as they are similar. Is there a typical config here?

Will a video of tinting ramping between them be the BLF rubbernecking post of the year?

Maybe I’ll get it engraved with “Hold my beer, watch this!” :laughing: