LED ENGIN 365nm LZ1 in carbon fiber solarforce

These 2 pics are with a Canon 20D, manual mode, taken in RAW. No camera settings are applied in RAW, this is what the imaging sensor picked up. Shutter set to 1 second to approximate what the eye sees. ISO 100, f/4.5.

I measured 3.585Vf on mine with a 710mA current draw on an Efest Red V2 button top IMR18350 cell that’s seen some use. The Kaidomain light has a fresh Sanyo FJ cell.

Kaidomain P-60 drop in

LED ENGIN LZ-1

10’ away from the camera sensor. The bright orange disc on the book shelf is actually a slice of geode that has been impregnated with a purple die.

Base image under the overhead lights with camera in Auto WB, Auto Focus and JPEG large.

The UV also works well to see what tint bin an LED is, at a glance.

The MT-G2 P0 5000K

XM-L2, de-domed, U2 1A

XM-L2 U2 3C, domed

Cool white shows the lime green/yellowish tint, a neutral white shows more orange, warmer tints go a more red/orange under the 365nm UV. :slight_smile:

I will take it, please PM me for instructions

Thank you for all of these photos Dale! Awesome job!

PM sent.

Here's a few pic's I took just now

my favorite nerf gun (mouseover for UV)

money

Daughters sock, water bottle with yellow highlighter felt tip in it, yellow glow powder (mouseover for UV)

XM_L2 T6 4C

And just a few more of the light

Congrats on selling the light, it is a great light!

But I do not really understand the current you get with a lineair driver (with no boosting). Either your led is way out of spec, or it is a different one than the LZ1-00UV00 that I used for my small zoomie mod, that claims the following (from the spec-sheet):

What I read here is that with a fully loaded 18650 with no voltage losses underway and no sag at all (so 4.2V) you can still expect only 800mA, in a normal flashlight situation less than 600mA. What do I miss?

Is your clear tailcap button from cnqg?

djozz, mine is pulling 3.585Vf (on the star) on an 18350 cell, at 710mA at the tail. According to the chart that’s not possible, but it is what it is.

Thanks for the info, Dale! So I should not have bothered running mine with a boost driver then. Pretty weird that Ledengin publishes charts that are completely wrong .

I wonder if they might have made some improvements since you did yours and didn’t publish them?

I never did a power-supply bare emitter test on mine because I was not going to use the led out of spec anyway. Now I wished that I had done that :-(

(BTW, if time allows it I'm going to post a test of the intl-outdoor 3535-size 365nm led somewhere tomorrow :-) )

I’ve been eyeballing those charts as well, and wondering about the same thing. They also state a variance in the 365nm wavelength when driven at other than 300 or 700mA, which is why I was targeting 700mA.

At only 700mA current draw I wouldn’t expect an IMR cell to sag, even a 800mAh IMR18350. But testing mine did show that 3.6Vf which is well below the claimed numbers from LED ENGIN. Should I pull the neg lead and check emitter current with my clamp meter? I’m using a Qlite with 2 7135 chips left on it.

BTW, I have the spec sheet on that emitter from Intl-outdoor. Hank sent it to me when I asked about the max current recommendations. Mine isn’t here yet, but should be soon.

No, not necessary, using a lineair driver the tail current=the led current, as far as I know.

Hey, that is interesting!, can I have that to see what I measured is what is claimed? (btw, I did not measure absolute output because I can not measure light output in Watts, I only have luxmeters, not calibrated light power meters)

Yes, love them, use them in every light I build that takes a 16mm boot (use the blue ones in my lights that have 14’s).

If you are interested in making another UV light, not necessarily in the same host, let me know. I have a cheap drop in now and might want to get something better. Drop in has a lot of 405nm in it so a pure UV would be cool. Couldnt bring myself to drop $100 after recent spending sprees but that is a sweet light, well actually lack of light :wink:

I’d be happy to, PM me and we can talk details. I have 2 more LZ1’s on hand, I’m going to be going a different way with my TN30 project so I dont need the two I have for it.

I’ll take the 2nd one. :slight_smile:

The 2nd LZ1 emitter or a second build?