LED test / review – Yinding 5050 (glass, ≈ 5500-6000 K) – Very high luminance, but very green and high Vf

Tbh, I am not aware that a 7070 variant exists. :smiley:

I have not planned to test another variants of this LED (except a quick test for the ‘egg yolk’-variant), but if I get some samples of this 7070 LED I might be willing to test this variant after all :smiley:

1 Thank

It’s basically a bigger egg yolk version

L70 HI 30W 8A 3000 Lumens 6500K SMD 7070 LED Emitter on KDLitker DTP Copper
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mNaf9IC

I put it in a Jaxman Z1 and like it a lot

1 Thank

Thanks a lot @koef3 / Dominik for another fantastic review! They’re always greatly appreciated.

1 Thank

Yes, with 6.5 mm² LES.

I don’t think that this LED will beat the smaller version in terms of luminance. The light flux will be much higher tho, but the Vf could be a lot lower (maybe due to thicker bonding wires).

Thank you very much. :slight_smile:

Great test! Very informative and interesting. I tested the Nitecore MH40S which had his LED and its probably the most green tinted LED ive ever seen. Even at high output it still shifts green. The AR coating on that lens is also very green so it contributes to the greenness. Gave very good throw though. Definitely a next-gen thrower LED and beats the older style 3030 Osram LEDs handily. I wonder how it would do against the 4040 size Boost HL/HX though?

Oh yes, this LED is horrible in terms of tint and light quality in general. This is one of most greenish LEDs I’ve ever tested on my rig. Tbh, this light ‘quality’ is the main reason why I will not use this LED in any of my lamps…

I think I have some of these CULPM1 LEDs in stock. :slight_smile:

Maybe I can give them a try in the next weeks. From what I can see from datasheets, this seems to be a very good LED for throw, although the LED chip seems to be the same as of the older LE UW Q8WP I tested a few years earlier. The thermal resistance is also a little bit lower (better) so 1-2 Amps more maximum current should be possible. On the other side and in comparison to the old Q8WP, the Vf of the CULPM1 seems to be a lot higher for some reason…

There’s a 9090 version too, same die of the 7070 but with more bond wires and (theoretically) better thermal resistor.

There’s also:
3000K glass
4000K glass
5000K glass
6500K glass
8000K glass
450nm glass
3000K egg (85 CRI !!)
5000K egg
6500K egg
PC Green egg
PC amber egg (smaller die)

They are sold by multiple sellers with different specs and each batch is different from each other. I found one 5000K egg with no green at all and my 3000K egg is also very neutral. Tint lottery is insane with these LEDs.

2 Thanks

And this is exactly one more reason to be very cautious with these LEDs and use them only for very specific (super thrower) use cases, where light quality is not needed.
I don’t think that a modder should be expected to buy 10 LEDs of the same type or even from different batches/sellers to select the best (most beautiful) light color or highest efficiency. That’s basically what you would have to do if you want to be successful in the tint lottery.

The fact that two out of three egg yolk type Yinding 5050 LEDs have such a green tint makes this emitter absolutely unusable, at least for me, high luminance (glass version) or not…

Of course I could order more Yinding egg yolk LEDs from different sellers/batches (and hoping that I’m getting genuine LEDs and no ‘counterfeits’) and test these in hope of better tint, but no, just no :smiley:

Keep in mind that the egg version die might be grossly off-center if you buy them from Yinding. The eggs from kaidomain seems to be perfectly aligned. They are better for aspherics because the surface is smoother and its projection is nicer than the gold versions from what I’ve seen from my tests.

I could order some eggs from Kaidomain, but is it really worth it?

The eggs from kaidomain are quite cold and neutral, slightly colder than a SFT40. They can sustain higher intensities for longer than the SFT40 because of the lower power. I swapped a kaidomain egg on a S2, i can make some measurements when i get home.

Can you link the Kaidomain egg yolk Yindings?

2 Thanks

I hate trying to figure out these LEDs. I got a couple gold ones from aliex a year+ ago, cold but no green tint at all. I wanted more. Got another a few months back: horribly green. All the egg ones I’ve tried have been green except for the warm 3000k one (although a bit on the yellow side).

I’m working on a KD order right now for misc modding parts but I’m not sure I even want to bother rolling the dice again (to be fair, I haven’t tried them from KD yet).

Thanks for the tests and write-up.

1 Thank

Kaidomain 5050 6500K egg at ~7A (S2+)

Kaidomain 7070 6500K egg at ~12A (S2+)

Yinding 5050 3000K egg at ~6A (FC11)

4 Thanks

Maybe the good ones (in terms of tint and efficiency) are binned in production and only sold to Kaidomain and of course other flashlight manufacturers?

This could explain why the eggs from Ali have such a horrible tint and also low electrical performance.

1 Thank

Yinding seems to sell pre production and prototype LED batches. These prototype/early production LEDs may be out of spec and, just like any semiconductor device, they are usually destroyed, but these are being sold to us. That would explain the huge variation on these LEDs (package differences between batches, bond wire placement, wildly varying bins, out of center dies, etc), and the number of oddities they sell reinforces this idea. That’s why some of us got nice neutral to negative DUV specimens while some got super green or underperforming/faulty LEDs.

4 Thanks

Koef3!

Wow bro! Fantastic! Love you bro!

Yes main issue we have is performance consistency and sellers so ordering a emitters from reliable sellers like lets say Kaidomain is essential! Maybe Simon would also like to stock them?

Anyway I think we should not use Aliexpress and unreliable sellers for this emitter.

To share my experience with Kaidomain glass version (L50 20W 5A 1800 Lumens Neutral White 4000K SMD 5050 LED)

1 of them was very good with high luminance as in your test. Other one was even little less then my old XP G2 S4 2B dedomed . So from 2 tested samples from KD I see about 15% performance variation.

So if we are lucky enough(or order plenty of them and select one winner like in lottery) this can be better than any other market available classic “white” led emitter.

P.S.
I feel guilty for not ordering Egg version from Kaidomain but I know you will do it for us. Hope it will be better than glass one although the one I tested from Aliexpress was not better…

Thanks!

Thank you :smiley:

Maybe. I am not sure if I have to order other parts from KD.

If so, I’ll order two or three Yinding 5050 egg-yolk. Keep in mind that a high luminance is not guaranteed and maybe all samples are not good in terms of luminance and light flux. I tested a Yinding 5050 egg-yolk from Aliexpress before (I will publish the test soon), and the results were disappointing, to say the least.

4 Thanks

Koef3,

You can’t actually get this clean beam in an aspheric without certain modifications!

What did you use? Black marker? Spray or paint maybe? Photoshop? Or something else to cover glass surface around circular die?

Of course we can de dome that glass yinding with very little if any gain but halo effect around emitter will be always shown on white wall test unless modified somehow.