LED test / review – Yinding 5050 (glass, ≈ 5500-6000 K) – Very high luminance, but very green and high Vf

LED test / review

EN

Yinding 5050 (glass version)

2023-06-19

Slowly times are changing. Why LEDs from Chinese development used to be mainly blue, inefficient or directly clumsy copies of Western models, very interesting LEDs from previously unknown manufacturers have found their way into the market in recent years.

One of these cases is this “Yinding 5050” LED, which attracted attention some time ago with a circular die. Due to the 5050 format, a good heat dissipation should be given and the luminance should be relatively high.

How exactly, this test will clarify!

Technical data

Type: single die, domeless (variant with glass cover)
Binning: unknown
Color group: unknown (≈ 5500-6000 K)
Rated voltage: 3.5 to 3.7 V
Max. rated current: 6,000 mA
Rated power: 25 W
Max. absolute current —
Viewing angle: typ. 120°
Thermal resistance: unbekannt
Max. temperature Tj: unbekannt

It is to be noted that no reliable data for this LED can be found. I am also not aware of an official data sheet, so that the above mentioned data should always be with caution!

First appearance

Already in appearance, the Yinding 5050 differs strongly from most other emitters. As with the earlier Osram LE Q8WP (review here), the luminous surface is covered by a glass surface. This is relatively sensitive; therefore, caution is generally advised when handling this LED. Rough handling must therefore be avoided. On my sample, a “crack” was already visible in the glass right from the beginning, on the picture above on the right. However, this has no influence on the operation of the LED.

The glass coating is equipped with a non-reflective surface (AR coated) to keep luminous flux losses as low as possible.

There are several variants of this LED, the best known of which is also called “Egg yolk type” due to the white wrapping around the yellow luminous surface.

As the number 5050 indicates, the Yinding 5050 is 5.00 x 5.00 mm in size and therefore fits on all XM boards. The symmetrical design allows the use of centering rings made by lathe.

On the side view you can see that the white coating also covers the sides of the light area. This should at least reduce or even prevent unwanted lateral radiation. The luminous surface has a smooth coating, so damage during normal handling is relatively unlikely.

The footprint is also identical to an XM LED. The thermal pad is electrically isolated so that DTP boards can be used without any problems.

LED chip and die

A special feature is the round luminous surface. This additionally sets this LED apart from existing models. Round luminous surfaces are known from large COB LEDs, where several small luminous surfaces are arranged in a circular area. In the Yinding 5050 LED, the round luminous surface shines absolutely evenly.

The round luminous surface is 2.39 mm² in size. Due to the classic lateral chip design, no light is emitted to the side. Due to the round shape of the LES, no light is lost due to shading at the wires, despite the use of four bonding wires.

Power and overcurrent capabilities

Official data:

• at 6000 mA (official maximum current): 1681 lm @ 3.76 V
  • Power at official maximum: 22.56 W
  • Efficiency at 6000 mA: 74.5 lm/W

Due to the lack of information and data sheets, the measured data offers little significance. The 25 W (which is sometimes mentioned in offers for the Yinding 5050) is almost reached with about 23 W, so at least the information of 6 A maximum current and 25 W max power is at least somewhat consistent.

The Vf is relatively high, although it is again unclear to what extent it is a series dispersion is unknown. Due to the quite high Vf, DD (direct drive, i.e. connecting directly to a lithium battery without driver electronics) is possible. depending on the voltage situation, operating currents of 6 to 8 A should thus be possible, which is quite realistic when using a Samsung INR21700-40T. It should be noted here that series dispersion can occur and the current in the DD can be significantly higher or lower!

The phenomenon of increasingly rising Vf when approaching the maximum possible operating current is only weakly pronounced here. Usually, the increase is caused by an increasing resistance of the bonding wires, but due to the 4 connections of the luminous surface, this effect does not play a major role, which makes it very unlikely that the wires will burn out even at maximum current.

Overcurrent:

• Maximum reached at 9.40 A, at this point 1957 lm @ 4.25 V
  • Power at maximum 39.9 W
  • Sweet spot at about 6 A (1681 lm @ 3.76 V)
  • Power at sweet spot 22.56 W
  • Efficiency at maximum 48.9 lm/W
  • Efficiency in the sweet spot 74.5 lm/W

I do not recommend overcurrenting. The power gain is small. Operating at maximum current of 6 A is sufficient, as a gain of only about 20% higher luminous flux in no way justifies almost doubling the power consumption. It seems as if the LED is already operated close to the optimal maximum at the specified maximum current of 6 A, which is relatively unusual compared to many other tested emitters.

The old XP-G2 S4 2B with the smaller luminous surface and the Black Flat are hopelessly beaten here due to their lower maximum current and the smaller luminous surfaces and are no longer up to date, especially since their Vf is considerably higher.

The XP-L HI can keep up with the Yinding in terms of luminous flux, but its luminous surface is significantly larger and the Vf higher, which significantly reduces the possible output under real operating conditions.

Just for comparison: in an old Convoy C8 with SMO reflector (which is not exactly the most ideal lamp for a thrower by today’s standards) the Yinding 5050 could reach almost 200 kLux, the Black Flat HWQP only reaches 180 kLux and the XP-L HI V3 even “only” 135 kLux, each seen at maximum currents possible.

Luminance

The luminance is extremely high. Already at the specified maximum current, the luminance is higher than the Black Flat HWQP and CSLPM1/NM1!
This luminance was achieved both with the reflector measurement method and with direct measurement at a distance of exactly one meter.

At the maximum current of 9.4 A, I measured the highest luminance of all tested LEDs so far. The maximum current is not practical to achieve, because the Vf is much too high and linear drivers are not usable due to the voltage drop from the battery, but shows what is possible nowadays in terms of luminance!

Just for comparison: in an old Convoy C8 with SMO reflector (which is not exactly the most ideal lamp as a Thrower by today’s standards) the Yinding 5050 could reach almost 200 kLux, the Black Flat HWQP only manages 180 kLux and the XP-L HI V3 even “only” 135 kLux, each seen at maximum currents.

Light quality and color measurement

The Yinding LED tested here produces very green light, especially at lower operating currents. A duv of 0.0183 at 350 mA is very high, at 50 mA the duv even rises to 0.0201! The color rendering is also very low, with an Ra of 63, whereas this is quite normal for cool white LEDs with strong color deviation.

Presumably, the green component in the spectrum was raised significantly to improve the overall efficiency of the light output.

As the operating current increases, the duv shifts relatively strongly in the direction of the BBL, which makes the light appear less green. However, the green component is visible at all times. For super throwers, however, this aspect should be of little relevance anyway.

Use in optics

In reflectors, the light image is very good. Depending on the quality and calculation of the reflector, rings can appear around the spot, but the spot is still sharply defined. Spill is only slightly present, most of the light is concentrated in the spot. Color distortions in spot or spill are virtually non-existent.

Due to the round luminous surface, a circular spot also appears when using zoom lenses, which subjectively looks very good, better than a square of known LEDs. Due to the extremely high luminance, an impressive range can be expected, especially when used with lenses.

Conclusion

The Yinding 5050 is an interesting LED. It offers extremely high luminance and thus potential for long ranges, and thanks to the XM footprint it is very easy to replace in existing lamps without having to replace MCPCBs or other centering aids. The circular spot provides a good light pattern in both reflectors and lenses.

Less I like the very green light color and especially the fact that this LED is only available in China and there is no secured information and data sheets about this emitter. Also the Vf is relatively high which makes the use of this LED at maximum currents and therefore maximum luminance quite impossible.

By these factors, I see only one specific use for this LED: in super-throwers, where light quality is not very important and also the limited availability of this emitter does not matter.

Pro

• XM footprint, compatibility with XM accessories
  • Very good light image in secondary optics
  • Extremely high luminance

Neutral

• DD relatively safe possible
  • Overcurrent hardly worthwhile
  • maximum current not practicable to use, due to too high Vf

Contra

• Poor color rendering and very green light color
  • no reliable information about LED publicly available
  • only available in China or from Chinese sellers

Thanks for reading! :slight_smile:

Greetings, Dominik

9 Thanks

Thank you for your very nice test of that funky LED.
Now I’m somewhat hoping you’ll review the 7070 variant as well

I tried the YinDing 5050 with the glass cover in my Convoy Z1 before and it looked horrible due to all the light scatter from the glass, but with the glass removed and in a reflector it looks nice :grin:

1 Thank

Tbh, I am not aware that a 7070 variant exists. :smiley:

I have not planned to test another variants of this LED (except a quick test for the ‘egg yolk’-variant), but if I get some samples of this 7070 LED I might be willing to test this variant after all :smiley:

1 Thank

It’s basically a bigger egg yolk version

L70 HI 30W 8A 3000 Lumens 6500K SMD 7070 LED Emitter on KDLitker DTP Copper
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mNaf9IC

I put it in a Jaxman Z1 and like it a lot

1 Thank

Thanks a lot @koef3 / Dominik for another fantastic review! They’re always greatly appreciated.

1 Thank

Yes, with 6.5 mm² LES.

I don’t think that this LED will beat the smaller version in terms of luminance. The light flux will be much higher tho, but the Vf could be a lot lower (maybe due to thicker bonding wires).

Thank you very much. :slight_smile:

Great test! Very informative and interesting. I tested the Nitecore MH40S which had his LED and its probably the most green tinted LED ive ever seen. Even at high output it still shifts green. The AR coating on that lens is also very green so it contributes to the greenness. Gave very good throw though. Definitely a next-gen thrower LED and beats the older style 3030 Osram LEDs handily. I wonder how it would do against the 4040 size Boost HL/HX though?

Oh yes, this LED is horrible in terms of tint and light quality in general. This is one of most greenish LEDs I’ve ever tested on my rig. Tbh, this light ‘quality’ is the main reason why I will not use this LED in any of my lamps…

I think I have some of these CULPM1 LEDs in stock. :slight_smile:

Maybe I can give them a try in the next weeks. From what I can see from datasheets, this seems to be a very good LED for throw, although the LED chip seems to be the same as of the older LE UW Q8WP I tested a few years earlier. The thermal resistance is also a little bit lower (better) so 1-2 Amps more maximum current should be possible. On the other side and in comparison to the old Q8WP, the Vf of the CULPM1 seems to be a lot higher for some reason…

There’s a 9090 version too, same die of the 7070 but with more bond wires and (theoretically) better thermal resistor.

There’s also:
3000K glass
4000K glass
5000K glass
6500K glass
8000K glass
450nm glass
3000K egg (85 CRI !!)
5000K egg
6500K egg
PC Green egg
PC amber egg (smaller die)

They are sold by multiple sellers with different specs and each batch is different from each other. I found one 5000K egg with no green at all and my 3000K egg is also very neutral. Tint lottery is insane with these LEDs.

2 Thanks

And this is exactly one more reason to be very cautious with these LEDs and use them only for very specific (super thrower) use cases, where light quality is not needed.
I don’t think that a modder should be expected to buy 10 LEDs of the same type or even from different batches/sellers to select the best (most beautiful) light color or highest efficiency. That’s basically what you would have to do if you want to be successful in the tint lottery.

The fact that two out of three egg yolk type Yinding 5050 LEDs have such a green tint makes this emitter absolutely unusable, at least for me, high luminance (glass version) or not…

Of course I could order more Yinding egg yolk LEDs from different sellers/batches (and hoping that I’m getting genuine LEDs and no ‘counterfeits’) and test these in hope of better tint, but no, just no :smiley:

Keep in mind that the egg version die might be grossly off-center if you buy them from Yinding. The eggs from kaidomain seems to be perfectly aligned. They are better for aspherics because the surface is smoother and its projection is nicer than the gold versions from what I’ve seen from my tests.

I could order some eggs from Kaidomain, but is it really worth it?

The eggs from kaidomain are quite cold and neutral, slightly colder than a SFT40. They can sustain higher intensities for longer than the SFT40 because of the lower power. I swapped a kaidomain egg on a S2, i can make some measurements when i get home.

Can you link the Kaidomain egg yolk Yindings?

2 Thanks

I hate trying to figure out these LEDs. I got a couple gold ones from aliex a year+ ago, cold but no green tint at all. I wanted more. Got another a few months back: horribly green. All the egg ones I’ve tried have been green except for the warm 3000k one (although a bit on the yellow side).

I’m working on a KD order right now for misc modding parts but I’m not sure I even want to bother rolling the dice again (to be fair, I haven’t tried them from KD yet).

Thanks for the tests and write-up.

1 Thank

Kaidomain 5050 6500K egg at ~7A (S2+)

Kaidomain 7070 6500K egg at ~12A (S2+)

Yinding 5050 3000K egg at ~6A (FC11)

4 Thanks

Maybe the good ones (in terms of tint and efficiency) are binned in production and only sold to Kaidomain and of course other flashlight manufacturers?

This could explain why the eggs from Ali have such a horrible tint and also low electrical performance.

1 Thank

Yinding seems to sell pre production and prototype LED batches. These prototype/early production LEDs may be out of spec and, just like any semiconductor device, they are usually destroyed, but these are being sold to us. That would explain the huge variation on these LEDs (package differences between batches, bond wire placement, wildly varying bins, out of center dies, etc), and the number of oddities they sell reinforces this idea. That’s why some of us got nice neutral to negative DUV specimens while some got super green or underperforming/faulty LEDs.

4 Thanks

Koef3!

Wow bro! Fantastic! Love you bro!

Yes main issue we have is performance consistency and sellers so ordering a emitters from reliable sellers like lets say Kaidomain is essential! Maybe Simon would also like to stock them?

Anyway I think we should not use Aliexpress and unreliable sellers for this emitter.

To share my experience with Kaidomain glass version (L50 20W 5A 1800 Lumens Neutral White 4000K SMD 5050 LED)

1 of them was very good with high luminance as in your test. Other one was even little less then my old XP G2 S4 2B dedomed . So from 2 tested samples from KD I see about 15% performance variation.

So if we are lucky enough(or order plenty of them and select one winner like in lottery) this can be better than any other market available classic “white” led emitter.

P.S.
I feel guilty for not ordering Egg version from Kaidomain but I know you will do it for us. Hope it will be better than glass one although the one I tested from Aliexpress was not better…

Thanks!