LED test / short review - Apple iPhone 15 Pro "Matrix LED" (iOS 18 update 09/2024)

Apple iPhone 15 Pro “Matrix LED” (iOS 18)

Here’s a somewhat unusual “LED test”.

Some time ago, it was announced that the new iOS version 18 would include a variable light cone (beam) for the flashlight. Today, the new version has officially been made available for update.

So I loaded iOS 18 on the iPhone 15 Pro and can show a brief review of the Matrix LED in the latest iPhones here. This LED - used as a flash for the camera - consists of different LED segments, which are then controlled individually and with a defined brightness level by the operating system.
The setting menu can be reached by tapping on the Dynamic island or by activating the shortcut on the lockscreen.

The manufacturer and a data sheet are not known to me. Presumably, this LED is a variant that was specially manufactured for Apple at the customer’s request.

The way it works is that the middle LED segment (in front of which there is another small lens) is controlled for the “throw”, while the surrounding LED segments are switched on for floodlighting so that the light is diffused in the optics.

The flashlight feature is funny and really something new, especially in a smartphone. Differences can definitely be seen in the beam, but there is still no miracle of luminous flux here, which is why even small 10440 or AAA lamps are massively superior to this smartphone lamp.

What is interesting here compared to iOS 17 is that the LED can now be dimmed extremely low, which was not possible before. However, setting this “moonlight” is extremely fiddly and cannot be done without blinding yourself. At least there is a mode memory so that the “moonlight” can be set in advance for night-time use.

Here are a few beam shots to get a feel for the change of the beam.

• Flood highest brightness level: 30 lm @ 12.5 lx (1 m)
  • Throw highest brightness level: 34 lm @ 50.3 lx
  • Moonlight (lowest brightness level) 100 % flood: 0.8 lm @ 0.4 lx

This shows: range is relative.

The iPhone is still a floodlight. The low luminous flux thwarts any attempt to achieve ranges with this smartphone light - 50 lux is really low, even compared to the smallest flashlights or mules. A classic flashlight can only replace the iPhone (or any other smartphone) in absolute emergencies, and a range of more than 5 meters is hardly possible.

Even a small keychain light such as a Thrunite Ti3 or most small cheap flashlights from circles around the iPhone.

The color quality, on the other hand, is very good, which is primarily useful for color reproduction in photos, as this is the actual purpose of this LED. It corresponds to a 4500 to 5000 K Nichia 519A.

• Ra 95
  • R9 83
  • duv 0.0005

Conclusion: nice gimmick, particularly interesting is the real moonlight, which was not possible before.

However, the iPhone will not be able to replace a dedicated flashlight in the future. The area of use remains limited to the ultra-close range (searching under the table, finding a keyhole, emergency lamp for the way home)

7 Thanks

thank you for the iPhone flashlight LED test…

agree, specs match 519a 9080
Im impressed

Now people will carry a 30 lumen High CRI flashlight, without any need for convincing.

My phone is not High CRI

Im a little jealous and tempted to get a new High CRI phone… :wink:

1 Thank

The thing is: with a classic low CRI cool / neutral white LED the light flux would be much higher, at 40-50 lumens, or even more. Would be interesting how bright your smartphone is. I have an old Samsung Galaxy A5 (2017) which has low CRI light, but with higher light flux. It also looks brighter to the naked eye.

The high color rendition affects the efficiency by a lot, and especially for such a usecase (small light source without much cooling) highest efficiency is absolutely crucial. But the iPhone light is very beautiful to look at :smiley:

1 Thank

9 Lumens (Very Green, Low CRI):

1 Thank

Wow, that is just awful… :flushed:

1 Thank

Interesting, thanks! My Xiaomi Poco F2 Pro is ~4500K, R9070, -0.0029 DUV according to my Little Garden spectrometer. Since there is still something wrong with the spectral response function calibration, don’t take it for granted. It is usually not super far off though.

The iPhone 11 I use already has a very good flashlight. Apparently the 10 also has impressive specs. iPhone 13 LED is 100 CRI? - #4 by djozz
I had an iPhone SE 2016 and 2020 that did not have a visibly good flashlight, not sure the CRI but they were ugly. I saw you posted your iPhone 8 and it looks like what mine was too, same camera, same flash, same screen on the 2020 as yours. Ugly light.

what other advantages are there if I upgrade to iPhone 15?., I wont use the phone flashlight either way…

I carry a light pretty much all the time… I dont always carry my phone.

I don’t think you should upgrade to the newest one, I don’t think its worth it. If you take flash photography it looks better. The iPhone pro models have lidar, and can take very low light photography, also OLED display. I applaud you for keeping an iPhone 8, phones have gotten stale so the exciting thing is the CRI of the flash.

1 Thank

The leap from the iPhone 8 to the 15 Pro is huge. Display, resolution, camera (macro!), performance, the thing is a huge step forward in pretty much everything. My girlfriend still had an 8 and when she got a 12 Mini, she was impressed by how big the difference was - despite the older generation it is.
I think, keeping older stuff is nice, but at some point it is just annoying to deal with all the downsides (due to further technical development).

3 Thanks

Thanks for the test. Dont think Id ever be owning an apple iphone either ways (mainly due to the price). To me, 30 lumens sounds awful. Is high cri really that good and worth the trade off for brightness ? High Cri leds draw the same power and generate the same heat as their low cri counterparts. For me thats offputting. Id much rather use a small low powered flashlight, which actually may get me a couple hundred lumens, and more throw.

Yes, i agree. Had an old Samsung a3 from 2016. It was a hell of a good phone. A nice small size, decent battery and quite durable. The software stopped working because google play services was no longer supported.

Keep in mind that the flash LED is much brighter for short period of time, to act as flash while taking a picture. I think, while flashing (which lasts maybe some millseconds) it is more at 150-200 lm.
In flashlight mode which longer operation the LED will be relatively warm even at only 30 lm, and since it is soldered onto the mainboard directly, there is no DTP or something like that to ensure proper cooling.

Apple uses high CRI to get better color quality on the pictures taken. And Apple claims to have a superior camera, so at least the LED has to be superior too :smiley:

1 Thank

Lol I totally forgot about the whole photography aspect of it. Now it makes perfect sense to have that feature!

1 Thank