LEDs and boost drivers

Besides the xhp70 what are some other LEDs that require a boost driver?

Also what are some good sources of boost drivers?

I know that mntelectronics guy has some and that jlhawaii guy has one , are there others?

Good quality preferably

Thanks

Which host are you planning to use?

Here’s a few 6v and 12v LEDs:
XHP50.x and XHP70.x can be 6v or 12v
XHP35.x is 12v
Nichia 719A and Luminus SST70 are 6v
Nichia B35 can be 6v or 12v

1 Thank

Convoy’s boost drivers are quite good as well as affordable imo. Also depends on the emitter used and size you need.

2 Thanks

Technically everything could require a boost driver. Like if you’re using a AA for example

Could also run an xhp70 with multiple cells in series and not need a boost driver.

4 Thanks

You’re best looking at the driver details, there are a few LEDs available now with 3v/6v/12v variants, so simply buying a single cell light that has an XHP50 emitter won’t guarantee a light has a boost driver.

I’ve successfully ordered a single cell 12V output boost driver from Hank at intl-outdoors.

Are you trying to upgrade a specific light? Do you have the current driver dimensions?

2 Thanks

I’ve often thought a 10AA NiMh, direct driven XHP70 light would be pretty “unique” :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Thanks

Of note, a few of these also have 3v variants that are currently available, and some that will be available soon.
Most notably, the Cree XHP50.2 emitters, so a light using an XHP emitter and 1S cells isn’t a guarantee of a boost driver, the best known example probably being the Sofirn Q8+

Also, the SST-70 and SFT-70 can be configured to 6v or 12v depending on the MCPCB footprint, the same as an XHP50.2/50.3

1 Thank

I’m after maximum runtime on medium mode/output ~ 500 lumens

There are several lights I like but wish they were capable of much longer runtimes.

Do 6v boost circuits give longer runtimes than 12v?

Correct me if I’m wrong but doesn’t higher voltage require less current in order to produce the same brightness ?

Or not necessarily? I’ve read somewhere on Google that the 12v has to work harder and therefore may not lead to longer runtime

Also, correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t runtime determined by the cell capacity, efficiency of the circuit and mass of the light esp in the head area?

Don’t overthink it in volts and amps, just think in terms of watts (volts times amps), as your main interest is an emitter with a high lm/W and an efficient driver. The difference in efficiency between a 6v and 12v driver isn’t too important in context.

Take a look at the Convoy 21700 lights with XHP50.3HI or XHP70.3HI, of the R70 version. An S21B or M21B with an XHP50.3 could do that. Alternatively, if you’re fine with a larger size, the XHP70.3 S26A is an incredible light for the price.