LEP Modul

Beam width at 6km… 10cm

LOL

Like the k75 in the photo the w30 is just chopped and has a brass standoff to mount in my jig. I wanted to be able to move the lens to work out the best configuration and be able to measure focal length. In that beam shot there 3 elements to the lens including the one in the LEP module. The megaray uses a system like this

Here’s one from Lumintop Antman

Oh, so there is no driver at all.

https://imgur.com/gallery/SI6Q4W1

Thanks for the teardown id30209!

Looks like actually driving the laser is done by the LEP-module itself, which makes sense given the special needs of lasers. So driving the laser (and all that drain variation) is not done by Lumintop but by the module-manufacturer (assuming that Lumintop does not produce LEP modules).

Now we need a place where to buy the module, and specifications, it is so small that I can see an AAA version happening.

Actually i was zorn between placing it in P60 drop in or to mod one ReyMini, Tool AAA or similar and run it at 10440 since my module draws only 0.4A

The board in the module doesn’t seem to have much going on and is pretty small, the leads in the through holes are maybe from the laser diode ? We see just a diode on the back, probably a TVS diode.
Maybe it’s just direct driven and the laser diode has a high Vf, in the runtime graph in the Antman thread the output increases a bit at first and then decrease, maybe the increase is due to the Vf decreasing with heat.
If the Vf is inconsistent that would explain max output inconsistencies between units.

If the laser is direct driven without any electronics going on, then the current differences between copies (mine does 900mA on a fresh H10, id30209 just 400mA) are down to Vf variations of the used lasers which is a larger variation than we are used to from leds.

Edit:sorry, that is exactly what the freeman just said :person_facepalming:

I have a warm white W30. I didnt like the colour so I took the driver out and ran it on a power supply at 4amp the laser diode output drops. The laser diode must have some sort of protection because if you drop the current the output goes back up.

Recycling light back onto the phosphor with a collar might not be a good idea for a LEP.

In a powerful enough LEP, would the extra light from the collar be enough to damage the phosphor?

There seems to be some overhead left. Personally, i’d rather get there without extra laser power and increasing optical efficiency in the meantime.

In my opinion the only reason to use a collar with LEP is if you want to use a longer focal length lens. One thing the collar does is give you an aperture to control the cone of light that hits the lens. A longer focal length will narrow the beam but you will also lose lumens and the collar creates an aperture and redirects the light to the aperture the same thing can be done with a secondary lens.

I don’t think there’s any laser light present in the output beam. In a normal white LED some of the blue excitation light is allowed to pass through the phosphor layer without exciting any fluorescence but in a LEP that extra light would still be laser light, i.e. coherent. Coherent light displays speckle , which is difficult to minimise. I presume that LEPs use a shorter wavelength laser compared to traditional white LEDs that use a (royal) blue emitter, and the phosphor contains blue fluorescent dye in addition to the usual reddish, yellowish and greenish. That could also somewhat explain the usually abysmal CRI of LEPs since getting high CRI requires loads of R&D and fine tuning and this might be a newer technology that hasn’t yet been paid sufficient attention.

http://www.taschenlampen-forum.de/media/collar-poliert.7832/full

Thanks to our friend Photon :+1:

Well made and easier to install,cause of the screws.

Gives a plus of 30 percent .

Regards Xandre

Seems like that LEP module is no longer available on Ali. Are there any new modules or new sources for this one?

Tempted to pick up an Antman and hijack the module from there. (pm me if you have one to sell)

Found this today. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003571549922.html

It was an impulse purchase. Anybody have experience with it?

No experience
but it seems to be a good find,

and really cheap.
We paid the double.

Another one

Regards Xandre

I’ll let you all know how it performs. It will be my first lep, so I don’t have much frame of reference. I’ll come up with something.

If this performs reasonably, my thoughts for this are for the guts to be transferred into a custom machined copper flashlight head or possibly even a retrofit into a B158B with a custom pill.

I know that maximizing heat extraction from both the diode and phosphor are crucial and I’m brainstorming ways to do this. First order of business is to replace the brass with Cu or possibly Al, and to keep an uninterrupted thermal path all the way to the lights exterior (or as close as possible in the case of a retrofit).

Depending on optic size I choose, this could either be a 2*18350 pocket light or maybe an unconventional layout 2*21700 light saber.

I hope thefreeman can help with making the LEP boost driver a reality, but for now I’m planning on a 2 cell buck.

An LEP B158B would be amazing. Kiriba-ru made me some copper B158 pills a while ago, extra tall to allow a wider beam when zoomed all the way out. Possibly one of those could be modified to accept this module.

I also see potential for this module in a maglite D host - plenty of room in there for activities.