LEP Modul

I am soon getting my own bench top lathe, and will be likely done with buying lights for a while, unless something truly special comes along.

The Maglite idea is awesome by the way! Didn’t think of that! Four NiMH D cells and a linear regulator could be perfect to drive these things. I have a 6D host in great shape that’s been laying around for years as well as a few beat up 2D/3Ds iirc.

Maglite idea is cool,
cause a lot of space to install. :+1:

When you are modding a orginal 2 battery flashlight,
allegedly you need a spacer in length.

Regards Xandre

I ordered one of these LEP modules and got it in today. The module itself is quite small in person. It also came with a 40mm x 65mm driver circuit board with a heatsink installed. There is a pot labeled “VR-I” and a pot labeled “VR-V”. There are 2 fan headers, and a header labeled “TTL” (for external PWM dimming?) There is also an AC/DC 12v input header. I will hook it up to my power supply later on and see what happens.

Any updates to this thread? I just received this module from AE and wondering the limitations of it.

I'm also interested, wondering what the beam would be like if combining several of these into a ring configuration. The heatsink would need to be designed well or your LEP modules would fry! I'm thinking lots of them, like eight!

I’ve installed my LEP module in a large fan cooled heatsink. I have run it at 2.5 amps with a TaskLED H6CC buck driver. I am a bit timid to attempt overdriving it because I don’t have a spare and I have not got experience with LEPs. I don’t know if the 2.5 amp limit is a thermal limit or if there’s some other kind of limit to consider. I 3d printed a housing that holds a large lens and allows the LEP module to slide for focus. I have not measured it yet, but it seems like a good performer.

Is the laser diode the NUBM08? If so, that diode can be pushed to 3.5 amps without much worry, that is, as long as you have enough heat sink to handle the increased amount of heat it will produce,or limit the run time to keep the diode and target from getting too hot. From what you wrote the laser diode is probably heat sinked very well, but I don't know how much extra power the phosphor can handle, if someone does, I'm curious too. You can find more information about that diode here: NUBM08 455nm 4.3W Laser Diode - DTR's Laser Shop (google.com)

From Manufacturers Datasheet:

• Wavelength: 450nm
  • Optical Output: 4.3W @3.0A
  • Max. Operating Current: 3.5A
  • Typical Operating Voltage: 4.5-4.9V
  • Operating temperature 0 to 70 C.
  • Typical life is 20,000 hours if run within specified limits with a 1 percent failure rate at 1000 hours.

Many diodes can be pushed a bit higher than the maximum recommended operating current but doing so increases the diode temperature. In general, each 10 degrees C. increase of temperature reduces the life by half but increasing the current too far will cause the diode to fail immediately or in a very short amount of time. To set the current at maximum, without regard to the reduced life in hours, use a laser power meter to see the laser diode output power increase as current is increased, at some point you will reach what is called the *knee where further increase of current does not increase the output power, at that point back the current down by about ten percent to stay under the knee (The *knee typically above 4.5 amps, but I'd limit the current to 4 amps max @ 5.8 watts output/REDUCED LIFE).

Adjusting the current to the driver while the diode is on can cause the diode to fail, not always, perhaps not usually, but can. I often choose the safer method and move the potentiometer adjustment in baby steps, turning the power off to the driver (or disconnect one of the two wires from the battery or DC power supply to the driver), adjusting the current potentiometer, and then turning the driver back on. There are circuits you can build to adjust the driver current without having the laser diode attached, and once set, then attach the laser diode.

Increasing the current above the maximum recommended reduces the life of the diode, go too far and it ends right there. I am not familiar with the driver you mentioned, I always use BlackBuck drivers, I prefer the BB8M which can handle up to eight amps with additional heat sinking, I believe 3 amps without adding a heat sink to the regulator chip: BlackBuck 8M Laser Driver(Buck) - DTR's Laser Shop (google.com)

Note: I can answer some questions about laser diodes, but not LEP's as I am still learning the basics about them. I am not associated with the DTR laser parts store, but I've been a customer for near ten years now.

Warning: If using a cheap "lab" power supply, when turned or switched on, many of them will put out a voltage spike which can kill a laser diode immediately. Also, the power supply must have current limiting built in and adjusted to assure you cannot go higher than the diode can take. Laser diode drivers are protecting the diode by doing just that, setting the current to a maximum amount to the diode.

Yep,we killed one modul
cause of high inrush current.

My dream comes true but not budget and waiting

https://www.mouser.de/manufacturer/kyocera-sld-laser/
Should work with XHP 35 driver

Regards Xandre

US$250 when I got a quote and SLD supplies the driver. You getting the 1000lumen?

I have a W30 with resistor mod to 3.5amp it has had the primary lens chopped off so no use comparing it……unless I take the lens out of another one.

340 inc Tax in Germany

Ordered ,
but have to wait

Regards Xandre

Haha I am waiting for a 24inch parabolic mirror at the moment can’t wait to get it. The focal length is nearly perfect for emission angle of an sbt90.
LEP with the mirror system could be used in a recoil by putting the laser module on the side.

I want to build a small EDC Thrower.

Think the driver is working,
with the sld laser.
What do you mean ?

I prefer this flashlight
cause of the tempcontroll,nice cooling fins
and the maybe “easy ”swap

Regards Xandre

Long time ago I got a quote from SLD for a module on the star and the driver was bundled with the module.

Hmmm

Let us wait and see

Your 24inch parabolic mirror
should be perfect for everything
cause it is perfect :+1:

Regards Xandre

Kyocera SLD Laser? On DTP? How cool is that :disguised_face: Lets wait for Xandre and see :+1:

Xandre can you copy paste thread from TLF to BLF once when you finish?

Yes

Maybe here is another member who test it earlier.

But if we have the modul,
we will make some tests and publish the results

Regards Xandre