Li-ion wrappers

You can debate how necessary it is (for tears in the side) but a roll of 18650 shrink wrap is very cheap at fasttech. I’d just rewrap it. For small tears you can get away with a piece of tape. Unless your lights are a tight fit with the batteries.

Yes I saw the thread about re-wrapping and how to do it. I cannot get to a place to purchase any for some time and I need to use the batteries right away. Mail order would work except the budget does not allow it right now. I believe some members might think that the price of shrink wrap and shipping is trivial but there might be some members who are pretty poor at the moment.

This depends on where you use the cell.

If it can short to the tube of a flashlight you will usual bypass the tail switch and with multi cell lights you might short one of the cells.

Small nicks on the body of a cell will usual not be able to do that, but larger holes in the wrap is a risk.

They are to be used in a single 18650 flashlight. I have now used Scotch tape and will get some shrink wrap when I can.

Thank you.

Use the shrink wrap , when and where as needed to

correct scrapes ,holes and nicks on the battery wrap.

Yes that was the intent all along but was just wondering what about using the batteries before re-wrapping. The small tear in the shrink wrap is about 6mm (.25") long on two batteries.

Thank you everyone for kindly answering.

Cover all the holes , tears ,etc. before using the

batteries. Remember “Better safe than sorry !”

You can also use tape for some minor temporary

repairs until you have the proper shrink wrap.

As long as the tear is in the side then tape is fine. The battery just needs to fit in your light without being too tight or scraping the sides.

For laptop pull batteries (or any unprotected batteries) even a tear near or at the bottom, negative, of the battery would be ok to repair with tape.

Suggest electrical insulating tape instead (cheap & better than fragile Scotch tape).

Best Regards,

George

keengeorge - Thanks. Great suggestion. The battery was a little loose anyway.

I’m a little surprised that nicks in the wrapper are causing issues. Aren’t most body tubes anodized?

But are you prepared to gamble your safety on the assumption that the anodising of the tube's inner surface is perfect?

Yes, most are anodized (and of course anodized doesn’t conduct power) but it much much better to be cautious with li-ions. A little extra caution takes minimal effort and will not hurt but not enough can hurt you.

No, just surprised that that turned out to be the cause of his problems rather than a faulty solder joint or intermittent driver/switch problem.

(Original problem thread here: ALERT - Bicyclists - Phantom Mode Changes )

I’m surprised no one mentioned Kapton tape. Unless I missed it. I’ve wrapped entire batteries in it. Very thin.

Kapton Tape?
That stuff is not cheap, I would never cover a whole battery in it :smiley:

50 pieces of pre-cut clear wrappers cost $1.36 - no need to search for another solution :stuck_out_tongue:

I have rewrapped my old 2400mAh Trustfires because of damaged wrappers.
If you use the clear one, better write on the battery what capacity it has (or had years ago)

How about this?

Oh, you said Li-ion wrapper... not.... okay. NM.

I want some wrappers that say

i hit them with an indelible marker if they are just little nicks .bigger ones get a piece of masking tape which i use to write date charged and voltage .

i need to pick up some wrappers ....but have been saying that for years now :P