Light for a Cave Dive?

Hi all,

A friend of mine is going to cave dive in Hawaii. The gear will be provided by a company there but he still wants to have his own dive light. Since they are noobs I’m guessing the dive will only be 30 min to an hour.

I’m not a diver (yet) so any help is appreciated. My first thought was something wrist mounted powered on an 18650 or 26650.

What do you suggest?

2 Thanks

@Hyosung

Maybe he can help… !?

1 Thank

Of course, I’m a bit busy now but tomorrow I’ll be here ready for help :slight_smile:

2 Thanks

First of all… my personal opinion is that using the canister without knowing how to use it is more dangerous than beneficial. For diving of such a short duration, any flashlight will work, because even with 18650 batteries the autonomy is greater than that hour that you mention. It would be essential to know what kind of dives you are going to do in the cave, to determine if you need a Goodman handle or if you are simply going to be a guide in small cenotes.

If you could answer these questions I could advise you properly.
-Type of dive, guide (divemaster) or are you going to make repairs of some kind?
-Do you have any kind of knowledge of flashlight management with canister?
-Diving certification?
-Maximum budget?

There are lot of models on the market that I could advise you, but if you answer those questions or explain a little more, I will be able to advise you better.

1 Thank

Thanks for the reply.

1. The light is for my friend. The type of dive they are going on first is a tourist type. Cathedral dive in Hawaii.
  2. No canister experience. This would not really be what I think he would want anyway. At home it would be used to snorkel at depths of no more than 25 feet probly, or other regular outdoor activities.
  3. I don’t think he is certified yet.
  4. I’m buying this light as a gift so I would prefer to keep it under $100.
1 Thank

Give me some hours I finish at work and I will reply :wink:
Where do you wanna buy? Amazon.com? I suposse you are from US? Just to advise you the easiest place to buy online :blush:

1 Thank

A tourist dive in Hawaii is not a cave dive. It’s an ‘overhead’ dive, probably with a short exposure, and very easy, probably obvious exit. ANY decent dive light will do.

IMO, if he’s not certified he should not being going into an overhead environment, and should not be diving with an outfit that would take an uncertified diver into that kind of place. That is unless you are referring to CAVE certification. THAT is tatamount to fairly serious to extremely serious mountain climbing. Takes a LOT of training and HOARDS of $$$ gear.

2 Thanks

Amazon will be fine

1 Thank

Take a look to Aplos AP60 6000LM on amazon.com (US$89.99)
Here you have some videos about it, good made, good performance and a good price. We have some on our dive club and all people are super happy with them. If you have any questions please told me :slight_smile:

1 Thank

Thank you!

1 Thank