Light Recommendations for Underground Use, 6hrs Runtime

So I'm coming full circle right back to the original reason I joined BLF (see the original thread - one of my first threads ever posted here with a link toward the end to the "flashlight testing/analysis thread"). My underground co-worker (hired after the original flashlight analysis and after the original crew broke the NW Jet beam PA40 we got them) came to me the other day telling me he'd like to have better lights for underground use. Since the original thread the company did purchase modern LED "cap lights" (mount on front of a miners hard hat) but they are as pathetic as the original incandescent cap lamps with their 20lb belt batteries. These cap lamps seem to have an 18650 built-in, put out what looks like 100 to 150 lumens of pencil beam (think XR-E or maybe XP-E), cool white, and apparently have over 6 hours runtime. They are "simple-stupid". Users simply turn them on/off and drop them into a dock to charge them. I know the company bought them because they are "safety rated", but the mines we operate in do not currently require "safety rated" lights. My co-worker operates the instrument, so he can't wear these anyway since he has to wear his hardhat backwards (so as to look through the scope without bumping the instrument). His other co-workers do wear them though.

This co-worker (instrument operator) is currently using a Princeton Tec Apex which is cool-white and rated 275 lumens with it's "maxbright" LED (specs say 1hr of regulated/constant brightness on alkalines on high, 11hrs on low on the "maxbright"). This light has been in use a few years (previous co-worker left it for him) and apparently has held up well. I think he uses NiMh's in it, but I'm not sure which LED's (the "maxbright" or the 5mm's) nor which modes he's using to get through a full day's work. I'm making an educated guess that a "full-day" underground is about 6hrs of use. He also still uses the same old 6AA Coleman Max Bubba (pencil beam thrower with really long runtime).

Here's a pic of the instrument man's typical setup (headlamp here is NOT the Princeton Tec, Coleman Max Bubba aimed to floor):

My co-worker has mentioned that he can shine his light up at the roof to look for bad spots and things look fine. Then the client's representative working with them shines a brighter light up, finds bad cracks indicating loose roof, and tells them to stay away. (I take this to mean that the pencil beam is only allowing him to see a very small area and the client's light lit up cracks outside of his hotspot.) No idea what lights any of our clients are using.

I've passed a selection of lights (Li-Ion, single cell) to my co-worker to test out and see what feedback he can provide from their use - i.e. "medium mode of this one is plenty of light, but the beam pattern of this other one is more appropriate". He is underground using them as we speak.

My thought is to get them decent headlamps and then decent "flooder" flashlights (at least lights that favor flood over throw). They also need to get 6hrs use out of a single battery (or battery pack). Lights need good safe drivers with low-voltage protection (thermal protection, esp. for small headlamps, would be a plus too). I would only give them protected batteries/packs with reliable safe chargers. I don't want them to have to swap batteries mid-day due to the risk of them putting a battery in backwards (though protection for that is a huge plus too) in dark/dim conditions. The lights have to be durable (no cheap Chinese headlamps with plastic mounts) and dependable (good quality switches, threads, etc. . .). Whatever they wear/carry has to be fairly light weight or else they'll just sit in the truck (been down that road before). I also think the "6hrs runtime" should be on "medium" mode, with a "high" mode used as a temporary "turbo" as needed. No or at least hidden flashing modes.

The Fenix HL55 (which another non-miner coworker bought on my recommendation, though I had no personal experience with it) seems like a really good "ready to use" solution, although I think it has too many modes and wish "high" was a tad bit higher. Then there's the 4xAA version HP15, but I don't know how it's beam pattern compares to the HL55. I was thinking to go with a biking headlamp as a solution running on a 2S1P pack built with 3500mAh NCR18650GA's with protection circuit tested by ledoman over at MTBR. I should be able to get them a tailored beam pattern (hand selecting LEDDNA optics), tailored output (changing sense resistors), and more output for the 6hr requirement. Problems with this setup is that it requires my time to do some work and requires finding/buying a quality wallwart charger (likely be a MagicShine branded charger like this one). It would also likely require fabricating a mount to the hard hat as well as having cabling that could get snagged.

As far as the handheld flashlights, I still want 6hrs use out of them as well (though they'd likely be used less). A zoom light could be handy (I personally found a zoom light at full flood to be great underground) and could be versatile enough for when they want some throw. I doubt there are zoom lights ready to use with NW LED's and good drivers with LVP though so that's more time & parts I need to invest. Co-worker has a Convoy S2 and an M1 to test out as well as my W-878 and the dealmetric zoom lights. Might need to go 26650 to get 6hrs runtime.

I really should wait and here feedback from my co-worker to get a gauge on what he'd like, but what do you think? What would you recommend that's safe and "simple-stupid"? Choices have sure come a long way since my original post!

Oh and I should mention that I've been out of the loop awhile and not following "the latest offerings" so there may be lights available that I've totally missed as options. AND, I forgot to mention budget. I'm not opposed to spending money I can justify. It doesn't have to be cheap, but it should be "bang for the buck". I think +/- $60 on a Fenix headlamp is justifiable. (I'm sure this is WAY less than what they paid for the "safety rated" cap lamps!)

-Garry

RESERVED! (Because I can.)

-G

Well, I’m gonna jump the gun and recommend Lumintop SD10. If you can wait a bit, they are supposedly doing a remake of it called SD4A which will be much improved. WWEFANS was going to do a Group Buy on that light, and he started an interest thread a while back, but we’re waiting on Lumintop to move forward with that.

Okay, after reading the finished OP does this change your mind? Wouldn’t that light be throwy rather than floody? I like the battery versatility.

-Garry

Okay, so you need something that runs at 15% output which would give you about 6.5 hours (always good to have some reserve), is reliable and simple. I would prefer 4AA because eneloops are very safe and rechargeable and capacity stable (no capacity fade over time like li ion). This would be ideal, but 18650 is great too. Since you need ultimate reliability i would go with a Fenix or Zebralight or a name brand.

If you go with 4AA @ 2500mAh you would get 357mAh or 1W for 7 hours, which would give you 125-180 lumens constant,. Is that enough?

Are we talking one headlight and one hand held flood light?

I’d be tempted to look at bicycle lights rather than “headlights” — more emitter choices, flood and oval and spot lenses, and rechargeable packs that could go on a shoulder strap or waistbelt.

Yes, I’m thinking 1 headlight plus 1 handheld flashlight (likely fit into a pocket or holster). The 2nd and/or 3rd u-gnd person(s) (“rodman”) have the task of lighting up the rod which the instrument man is sighting. I have no idea how they are accomplishing this very well with pencil beam lights, as the hotspot would be annoying to see when you just want that 5ft tall object lit up evenly. I’m sure the rodmen are lighting the rod with their cap lamps right now as they don’t carry any other lights as far as I know.

Hard to say if 125 - 180 lumens is enough. I really need to hear from my co-worker. I can say that my mule headlamp on high (XM-L2 @ 1.4A) was really nice, but medium was a tad too low. Bigger problem was that I think the flood was too wide and it needed a little more throw. I guess I was ball-parking 300 to 400 lumens as the 6hr medium mode if possible. High being 800+ would be great.

-Garry

The original Yinding from GearBest is my budget choice for bike headlight option. Solid thermal path, simple sense resistor driver, 3 modes with hidden strobe. Problem (other than fabricating mount) is it’s very small to be handling any significant heat (ok on a moving bike) and the switch is tough to use, esp. with gloves as it’s flush with the body and doesn’t give a nice “click”. It is simpler for the users to handle li-ions though and could provide much better than 6rs runtime if I wanted. Yinding also fits KD’s programmable driver (an option). The stock Yinding NW is a 3C and I would rather it be 5B1 or 4C.

I don’t mind a little modding time, but I don’t want to have to do extensive work. I know the Yinding well as I have one and have modded mine.

Oh - and what about the Starry Light 4xAA light Is that worth any consideration? I don’t know how hard it is to replace the driver with a Nanjg though.

-Garry

Man… I can’t imagine going underground with only a little cap light …. wow.

Sorry if I’ve missed this detail, but it sounds like you are open to modded lights, not just off-the-shelf options?

After reading the finished OP, I’d say the Lumintop SD10 (or the new SD4A, when it becomes available) is still a prime candidate for handheld use. Sure, it’s more spotty than floody, but nothing near a pencil beam. At the distances you mentioned in your first post all those years ago, the hotspot would be plenty wide enough to see all the cracks. In fact, at those distances, a purely floody light won’t even light anything up unless it is very bright. Then, runtime will be an issue again.

As for a headlamp, I’ll go with hank. There are going to be better lights to choose from among bicycle lights for your use case (rather than an actual headlamp).

Think I posted in one of those threads how when I went in I took numerous lights and batteries! I would NEVER go u-gnd without at least a bright handheld flashlight!

Correct, though the less modding the better as it’s tough for me to find the time to get modding done and I don’t want them waiting for weeks/months for me to get done. Off-the-shelf also may give them warranty coverage (i.e. Fenix)

-Garry

POP lite T62 18650 TIR zoomy with charge port, click image for DX listing.

Or for 2 x C cells: http://www.dx.com/p/pop-lite-p72-cree-xr-e-q5-160lm-2-mode-white-light-zooming-flashlight-black-2-x-lr14-158602#.VsIvIdAy3v8

Or for 26650: http://en.efox-shop.com/-poplite-t63-f-cree-q4-5-mode-200lm-ipx-5-focusing-led-taschenlampe-torch-1x26650-inklusive-schwar-g-287200?currency=USD

First thing you will have to do is determine lumen requirements, 6 hours at 500 lumens (1.4A) is not realistic from any single 18650 light
The intrinsically safe is a very good question

It is not, the threads will wear out in 6 months if the batteries are changed daily, mine is now a shelf queen because the 4 eneloop was so useful to me i was charging it every couple days. I have been using teflon tape and it works acceptably as a night light (charge every 10-12 days).
The driver is not removable, though to old lumens thats probably a challenge

http://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_299059.html

something like this 2 x 26650

I think there would be a xml version

use on med with good cells

Hey mate i was also thinking fenix because the light is more balanced the way the battery packs are at the back of the lights. The design is like this it looks interesting seeing it uses a 26650. The HP15 looks great but specs do not match run time wise.

http://www.spark-light.com/Products.aspx?ProductID=32

But i think with the sparks it would be a better option because you can custom make a battery pack to hold in your pocket? or on your belt? lots of company make light like this style!

How many lumen do you for 6 hours run time?

Good solid option in single cell mode (don’t want them using 2 Li-ions in series), however it’s very throwy. Wonder how it would be with DC Fix on the lens? I bet it’s still throwy. It’s also a little large to carry (well, most any 26650 will be large to carry).

What about the good ol’ Trustfire A8 26650 tube light? (or a similar one) I don’t think it’s easy to replace that driver though.

-Garry

Fellow mine surveyor here!

I’m currently using an H3 Warboy as my cap lamp and BLF A6 as a pocket light. This combo has been working great for me so far with just a few minor changes:

• Removed top band of headlamp head harness
  • Replaced rubber headlamp to strap mount with a couple of zipties
  • A small piece of hi-vis tape on the battery cap (It’s a pain in the ass to find in the dark!)
  • We have little plastic mounting pieces that hold the band to hardhat really well. I don’t remember what they’re called so I’ll grab a pack today and update later.

Overall this combo seems to work much better than the standard issue PT Apex headlamp and mini maglite. The Apex seemed to cause my cap to always be a bit too heavy and fall off when I bent over. I think that this same issue might show itself with one of those bike headlamps that you’re looking at. The switch on the H3 is also pretty easy to operate with gloves on and there are no annoying blinky modes!

I think all up with for the 2 lights and 4 batteries (I carry 2 spares), you could get out for less than $100.

The Spark SX5 headlamp seems like a great option! On a 26650 it’s spec’d to do 320 lumens for 4.5hrs (though I can’t tell if you can leave it in “max” mode or if it kicks back down on its own) or 170 lumens for 10 hours. Using the optional 4x18650 pack, it’ll do the 320 lumens for 11.5 hours. Problem with the 4x18650 pack I see is that you’re relying on individually protected cells, cells need to be kept as matching set, and even though there is a “pack charger” it will be best to charge individually to keep them balanced. I really wish Spark would have just welded the cells as a 1S4P pack with protection & balancing circuit and provided a wall-wart charger - this would have been much easier for my application. And it doesn’t seem I can switch to using a bike battery pack because they are 2S packs. I’ll have to dig deeper into reviews on this one, but it’s looking good, even if I just resort to single 26650 use.

I also spotted a 2x18650 (1S2P) Spark flashlight available in Neutral White- SP2, although it looks a bit throwy. Oh, and I see the Fenix E41 might be a decent option on 4xAA’s. 400 lumens for 4+hrs.

-Garry

Thanks for the feedback! I’ll look into that H3 too. EDIT - no NW option on that one?

-Garry

Definitely the professional choice, but way too expensive for what I’m finding available (with the less expensive models not even worth considering).

-Garry