Light, walk with me // Seeking help with residential lighting

From Finland and moving to my first apartment. Here to get help with lighting, which I would rather over-engineer than ignore, even my budget of max. few hundred euros (at first).

I have never done lighting before.

This (Notes on very bright lights in Finland / the EU) is a somewhat useful guide for Finns, but focuses on Lumens instead of high CRI.

This (BLF - Ultimate LED Bulbs - CRI Qfactor - Google Drive) is the most useful single resource I have found.

I want prefer “cleaner” light, and will probably go with 4000K and / or 5000K.

I am now pondering:

• What’s the best choice exactly? SunLike seems best.
• Where to buy / order?
• How many I need for my blueprint?
• How to set up the things that hold the lamps / attach them?
• How to do layering properly?
• How to set up power supply?
• How to set up heat sinks?
• How to insulate / waterproof stuff (and increase safety generally)?
• How to set up controls?

PMs from those who know most would be welcome. We can do a guide to share with the community afterwards.

Other minor things:

• Are there any “lifehacky” ways to optimize windows & mirrors that offer significant benefits?
• Halogen for max. CRI ceiling lamps?

1 Thank

Thanks for signing up, baldrs!

1 Thank

Thanks for welcoming

1 Thank

Op strikes me as another turing test (ai post) because of the weirdness of the proposal:

The apartment should come with lights already installed.
The apartment should already be constructed as well so no need for blueprints.
Readily available lighting fixtures don’t need separate power supplies or heatsinks.
Prebuilt bulbs have heatsinks buit in and don’t need separate power supplies either.
Controls are usually in the form of a dimmer switch, or are otherwise wireless. Refer to the manual of the product to set them up.
Why would you need to waterproof indoor lighting?

So yea, sub human level thinking on display but at least it resembles the real thing.

1 Thank

The apartment should come with lights already installed.

Pre-built lights, easily available are usually scarce and not suitable for doing lighting well.

The apartment should already be constructed as well so no need for blueprints.

Light is similar to audio. The positioning in the room matters and there are lots of possibilities available. I expect there’s theory, or at least practical advice, for that.

Readily available lighting fixtures don’t need separate power supplies or heatsinks.

Most existing stuff is costly and not useful for lighting whole rooms well.

Prebuilt bulbs have heatsinks buit in and don’t need separate power supplies either.

Yes, but lumenators and other self-made systems do: (How to Build a Lumenator — LessWrong).

Why would you need to waterproof indoor lighting?

For rooms with water? The wiring will probably not be in contact with water but it’s better to be safe than sorry. BTF-lighting has some guide for silicone.

In any case, congratulations on moving into your first apartment. That is a big step for a human.

1 Thank

Thanks, current plan (in addition to BTF): Help setting up free Philips fluorescent ballast and lamps - #4 by baldrs