Lights that "Don't" under perform

So Anyhoo, I purchased 4 lights and all but one came up short. The only one that seemed to come close to the actual advertised output was: Convoy M1 https://m.fasttech.com/products/0/10002364/1212400-convoy-m1-cree-xm-l-u2-1b-2-group-35-mode-900lm-le. Can someone list a few other lights that actually produce (or come very close) the advertised Lumens?. Criteria: 1. Uses 18650 or 26650 batts 2. Under $30.00 3. Need minimum 900Lm. The 3 that came up short 1. Thorfire vg-10 list. 847lm actual Approx. 550lm. 2. Uniquefire c108 list 1000lm actual approx 600lm. 3. Crelant v6cs list 960lm actual approx 700lm. Thanks for any Feedback p.s. I should mention I’m not interested in the C-8 type of Flashlights.

All I can suggest is that you look for reviews and actual user-made measurements on these forums. It is well known that mega-store advertised lumens (aka “Chinese lumens”) are highly over-stated and completely unreliable. Only a few sellers who are also flashlight enthusiasts report lumens honestly.

Keep in mind that each light is something of an individual; out of the same batch some will be brighter and some not as bright- similar for tints. This is evident in Vinh’s “Fiat Lux” series, select lights that perform best even though the build is the ostensibly the same as the others offered in the series.

Lumens measurements also vary by user with most meters calibrated empirically, not to a laboratory standard. Your own meter may be out of calibration. Integrating spheres also vary from pipe-style rigs.

In the end exact measurements will vary some, but “Chinese lumens” are totally unreliable and should at best be used as a rough comparison. And there’s a lot more to consider such as actual “Lux” for throwers, varying tints, whether your cells are providing full current and so on. You will not see a few percent difference in any parameter, only large ones.

Phil

Olight S30 is probably the safest bet at this price ($22.7 atm)
BTW how did you get your actual lumens figures? Judging on VG-10 reviews it’s output should be near the claimed. Maybe the problem is your measuring technique or the batteries you use

Why is the S30 so cheap ($22.69 shipped!!), and why does not everyone over here buy one?? It looks a really high end flashlight, it has the great Olight user interface, I love the design and as I understand emitter swapping in the S30 is easypeasy.

It's from a store with customer service that underperforms. :p

But that didn't stop me from ordering one. ;)

Their different models had been going on sale quite a lot lately. I think they are about to release upgraded models (some already out) and clearing the old stock. I have posted it in the deals thread and there is quite large thread going on on olight deals (formerly on S15R).

Without a sphere ,a power supply or at least a stout LMR some of it could be on your end .

but yeah im sure lots of vendors are selling stuff they have no idea or couldn’t care a less about …how much do you know about quadcopters propellers pitch angles ./.Consider that lots of vendors have never seen the items they sell and don’t speak english ….
i’m most sorry to here you have issue with flashlight my dearest friend . …please take phioto of you with light not working … next week we’ll ask for a video …Have you tried hitting the light across your upper thigh ?

Why not just ship a pallet of older o’light lights to my house .?

Waiting for the 20R/30R to go on clearance... from anywhere but GearWorst. Maybe someday they get their crap back together.

I think its probably about to be “upgraded”. The new S30R has already been upgraded to the S30R II. I’ve got one of those, by the way. Its a great light and $22 for the non-rechargeable version is kind of a no-brainer.

1. I don’t like the tint. I find nearly all of my cool tinted flashlights end up as shelf queens.

2. The vendor has been having shipping problems lately.

Wallbuys never got their act together …didn’t stop great deals and not buying from wallbuys at one point would have been really crazy . to win you have to roll the dice

Did you test the thorfire with two CR123’s? It makes less lumen with 18650’S

I should mention my method for evaluating: I was comparing all my lights against a Olight M21x rated at 750lm and the Convoy M1 rated at 900lm. They both seemed to produce very close to their pub. Specs. I used freshly charged Olight 2600mah batt’s in all for comparison. No it’s not perfect but it was obvious the 3 under performers were coming up short.

I did not. The same was said about the Crelant v6cs. I did try 2x cr123 in that light. No difference.

It also has a non-hidden strobe and a side-switch. I don’t care for the first and the latter is a no-go for me on any light I’ll pocket because of unintended activation (don’t talk ‘lockout’ to me, that’s a poor and awkward solution compared to a tailswitch that’s far less likely to self-operate). I’m still buying from ‘sprocketworst’ but only cheap and in small chunks so that hopefully most of my stuff will reach here eventually.

Worth the cost, but overbudget for me and this type of light the way I’d use it. I simply need to be richer :wink:

Phil
(izzat better?)

So

These two:

Available now

Available soon… Not a C8, much smaller…

Taken from GB pages:
D80- Length 12.8mm Head 4.1mm body dia 2.5mm
C8- Length 15.2mm Head 4.5mm Body dia 2.5 mm

Liking the performance of the GB D80SE but Convoy’s build quality is lovely and something to be experienced first-hand. Can’t go wrong with either (or both!) It’s this kind of stuff that creates Flashaholics :bigsmile:

Phil