LIR Button Cells

Is there any experience here with LIR BUTTON cell batteries? Mine is that while the LIR2032 cells work and hold a charge pretty well, the LIR2016 version die quickly.

Personal experience is with LIR2032. High degree of variability. In the same batch a couple are OK, a couple satisfactory, and a couple lousy. They simply don’t have the same capacity as non-rechargeable. There’s probably LOTS of difference between particular brands, and not sure how much I trust a lot of them.
So, I’d think the same problem would be with 2016. Maybe/probably worse because they are smaller.

That said, 2016 is half the thickness. I have no idea how that translates into capacity in those tiny cells, but If it’s like AA > AAA the loss is likely more than half. Maybe lots more. Proportionally you end up with a lot more metal, and less active chemicals to make it. The old volume to surface area ratio.

I don’t put LIR2032 in anything important or hard to change. Too much trouble.

So why do you use them at all? I ask myself the same question - and increasingly don’t use them. The higher initial voltage can be useful in some instances provided the device can handle it.

Initially as an experiment. Until someone tries them and actually KNOWS how to monitor a battery, how are you REALLY going to know? amazon reviews on batteries are essentially worthless.
I got one out out of a defective rechargeable keyboard. It seemed to work OK, so I ordered a 5-pack. Not expensive.
They work well enough for some small temp/humidity monitors I have. Easy on batteries, and quite easy to change.
I’m kind of wondering how long they will end up lasting. I’m keeping notes.

I scuba dive. Some of the monitoring devices use 2032. NO WAY I’m putting them in something like that!

I am finding the new LIR2032s very useful.

Having two motorcycles with keyless ignition, I was finding the stock CR2032 would run down quickly, forcing me to get the fob out of a pocket and hold it to the antenna. I might just as well be using a key. Their voltage was 3.3v at best.

The new LIR2032s charge to 4v, hold charge well, and allow me to keep the fob in pocket as originally designed. Oh, and your not continually forking out for new batteries.

Are they really meant to charge to 4v? Related: https://youtu.be/54cO6UtyuIY

I have only ever used LIR2032 with at least two of the common chargers available and they do charge up to around 4.1-4.2. I would not use them in anything ‘important’ that is designed for 3.0V CR2032 but the LIR2032 do seem to work in most gear designed for CR2032 and to produce a brighter light if the device being used in is a flashlight.
Never used ML2032 - and I don’t think I will now!