List of Actively Cooled Lights

Hi everyone, Imalent just released a new actively cooled light called the MS18. It is rated at 100,000 lumen using 18 XHP70.2 and 8 × 21700 cells.

subbed

Interesting thread. First time I see all the fan cooled lights together.

The BLF Sabre pedestal design was intended to have about a 1/4” gap between fan and body, but be fully on the head fins to force air through their gaps. The difference here was that it was suppose to come down into EDC size and 1000 lumen continues sustainability. Theoretically, 2.5 hours off a single 21700 cell. Or the operator could choose a non fan version and there would still be a lot of air circulation in the 1/2” air gap between the head and body. Probably still sustain about 400-500 lumen continuously. Which meets “my” criteria for an emergency light.

Then there is the evil 50,000 lumen BLF Quasar……

Yooo…Sofirn……wake up.

I’m not familiar with either of the Sabre or Quasar. Are they being produced?

wtb Lux RC Labs Fat Boy 1 for $50 :disappointed:

No idea what they actually sold for since they do such limited runs. I wouldn’t be surprised if they sold for thousands of $ per light.

By the millions…in my mind.

Here is the cooling design of the new Imalent MS18.

It looks like they are using a copper CPU with heat pipes and a twin fan push/pull configuration.

Finally someone used a heatpipe…for me that’s much more interesting than the fans.

I think the effect of the heat pipes on overall cooling is negligible.

Why do think that?
Cpu coolers use them for a reason.

That’s a very interesting and mostly logical active cooling design.

There is one improvement, the fans are too far from the heatsink. Some air will ‘leak’ or won’t travel through the heatsink. They need to position them directly on the heatsink.
Also very interested to see where they have routed the cables to power the LEDs.

Heat pipes are slow to transfer heat. With a light producing so much heat I don’t think they will do much.

I’m sure there are ducts to direct the air where it needs to go.

It may be the case with some lights. But I like them because they have potential to transfer heat far from the LED much better than solids.

The very front end of a big thrower tends to have a large diameter. And therefore - large radiating area. But it’s far from the heat source and therfore hard to heat up.

Tube lights typically fail to transfer heat across the tube. Unibody is a step up but still you get a huge difference between the LED and the tail. And this difference means suboptimal cooling.
Actually…tail is often a great place to put a driver. Except that temperature sensing doesn’t work at all. With a heat pipe - it would work.

Powerful recoil lights need either heatpipes or liquid cooling. Heatpipes are much cheaper, simpler and more reliable.

Note that improving heat transfer across the light is not only good for sustained performance. It’s actually more important for Turbo. Parts that are thermally distant from LED don’t contribute to heat storage. Shortening thermal paths enables more of the light to store heat therfore increases Turbo times.

Heat pipes transfer heat like 10x faster than the most conductive metal…
What are you talking about.

The problem is that the amount of tremendous heat produced i think the small fans and the heatsink will not be enough effective by just looking at the images how it looks, the head should have been alot bigger and have 2 bigger fans on each side of the heatsink perhaps to pull out the warm air out faster?, i doubt those small fans will make much difference, and the noise will probably like a small hair dryier, imo very annoying sound lol for very little runtime on highest before stepdown so kinda useless really…

I would rather see light companies push less lumens with active cooling but longer then 60 seconds or something, why nobody wants to do that? the lumens war is getting silly anyways if we cant manage a light that can handle that lumens for less then a minute…

Maybe the batteries are the limitation.

Of course cells are the limitations, along with power dissipation.

Dissipating 1100-1200W of heat is stupidly extremely hard, but getting the power, even from Samsung 30Ts, is a stretch.

At 1100-1200W power draw, you’d barely be getting 4-5 mins at full power.

I agree the fan is too small to be effective at turbo mode and will surely be loud.

But I don’t understand why people always say they rather see less lumens that are sustainable when this thing can sustain 22,000 lumens indefinitely according to their specs, which means it is already the record setter for highest sustained output in a flashlight. If you don’t like how the turbo modes are non sustainable, you can always think of it as an extra that you don’t have to use like the blinky modes. But for many people, we enjoy having the ability to blast turbo occasionally when we want to see max illumination momentarily for whatever reason.

Exactly! I’ve used my DX80 two or three times now at 5000 lumens for an hour plus and it made me really appreciate the light. If the MS18 can hit the claimed 22,000 lumens for over an hour and 10,000 lumens for almost 4 hours I’m impressed!

I want to do that. I do have some idea’s in my head but making them real is a completely different story.

True that this is already a big step in the sustainable lumen category. The problem is the size of that thing, it’s a pretty big light and not everyone wants to walk around with such big light.

So the real problem is making a active cooled light that can sustain decent amount of lumens while being small enough for many people.
Of coarse you cant have it all so it’s a trade off.

Do you really enjoy this JCVD moment when you realize that you just blinded yourself for a couple of minutes with 100000 lumens of floody turbo ? :smiling_imp:

Yeah 100000 lumens will also make your nose bleed :smiley: