List of chinese budget knives and the name brand equivalents

fnsooner, would you consider the Kershaw Speedform II with Elmax?

I cut up so many pieces of cardboard and i could not blunt it. Need to get some manila ropes soon.

Interesting knife. I googled it and looked at a few videos. I might have to get something with Elmax steel one of these days. It will have to wait though, I have spent way too much money on knves lately. I need to let my wallet cool off.

I think my next knife will be the Spyderco Dragonfly 2 with VG-10 steel. I want to alternate using it with the Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189 that I already own. The two knives I own with ZDP-189 are so sharp they scare me. I want to do a head to head comparison of the VG-10 to the ZDP-189 steels.

I have only needed to touch up the ZDP knives that I own and they are staying very sharp. I heard they are hard to sharpen if they get dull because the steel is so hard. Supposedly the VG-10 steel dosn’t hold its edge near as long as the ZDP but is easier to maintain and sharpen. I will see.

I have also read that ZDP-189 is prone to chipping because it is so hard but I have yet to see any anecdotal evidence of this, just conjecture. I am not going to baby the Dragonfly 2 ZDP and I will see how it holds up compared to the VG-10.

I am still a Spyderco fan. There is still nothing like a Delica or Endura. One problem with Spyderco is they tend to discontinue model that were really good knives but didn’t have a chance to sell for whatever reason. The Centofante 4 was the best all around knife Spyderco ever made. It was priced at Delica levels and was just a slicing machine. The Warncliff blade on that was done to perfection.

Spyderco has had some real duds. The smooth SS handle knives of the 1980s-1990s were all too slick to hold. I’ve had spyderco knives with blade play, poor lockup, stripped threads, poorly heated steel, etc. I have owned far more Spydercos than any other brand so it makes sense I would get a bad one once in a while. I have probably owned about 150 of them since the 1990s.

I stand by my statement that my particular Navy K607 is an all around better made knife than my $90 Spyderco Lil’ Temp. I was disappointed in the Lil’ Temp and also the half dozen Para-Militaries I owned. The G-10 original Police was a loser, the clips were held in by tapping the G-10. The old Calypso did the same with the micarta.

Thanks for the Spyerco tips. I am new to them.
I inspected my Spydercos that I have purchased and removed some of the screws holding the clips on and and it appears that they are threaded into the stainless steel liners or in the case of the linerless ones, one bolt goes entirely through the handle. I could see where threading into handle material would be a bad idea.

I also took a look at the Navy K607. I am learning to love the full flat grind. In this video the guy reviewing it lost his clip. Did Navy also thread into the handle material?

Just curious, I am seriously thinking about getting the K607.

Edit* I have now ordered the K607. For seventeen dollars shipped from China I couldn’t resist. Besides, I had nothing incoming. The first time in a long time. Maybe this purchase will stop the hebie jebies.

The clip screws of the K607 thread into the steel liner. I can’t imagine how some one could loose its clip.

Thanks, I look forward to getting this knife. For some reason I missed seeing it talked about before.

The clip on the Navy 607 is one of the most robust clips on any knife. It would be hard to imagine how you could lose the clip on that knife. I suppose it is possible but it is not common or an issue I would worry about on this model.

Spyderco did those things mostly back in the 1990s. I think they learned their lesson and stopped mounting screws into G-10 and micarta.

Spyderco has not written warranty. They will often take care of you but I had a few issues with knives and they basically told me to go jump in a lake. 9 out of 10 times they will help you but there is nothing stopping them from not fixing your knife if they so choose.

was there a srm that had a handle like either one these bucks?

ghost rider

strider 882

thanks, i was searching all over for that one

I’m looking for a small knife around the same size as a Boker Subcom.

Does anyone have the knife in the link (AL MAR Mini EDC Folding Knife)? Is this a knock-off of an Al Mar design or did they just throw the brand on for no reason?

http://xxxknife.com/product.asp?productid=F0302

Another one I found interesting and would appreciate feedback on: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/EDC-Gear-Folding-keychain-knife-for-zipper-backpack-key-chain-camp-hike-outdoor-survival-tool-kit/32295806461.html

SanRenMu = They have so many designs that some are bound to look like other brands. They share a few designers and designs with Real Steel for instance.
Ganzo G711 = Benchmade 746 Mini Onslaught
Ganzo G712 = Benchmade 860 Bedlam
Harnds CK8002 Nyx = Kershaw Brawler
Harnds CK6013 Knight = Kershaw Volt 11
Enlan EL-04MCT = Benchmade Griptillian, well I think it looks similar and it is sturdier, the Griptillians I’ve held felt light and plastic.

Edit…………How could I forget the SanRenMu H03, or the 6020RUC-SA as it is listed now, the Spyderco Grasshopper with a bottle opener.
Then there’s the Ganzo G720, the LionSteel SR-1 look-alike, if the SanRenMu 710/7010 can be called a small Sebenza clone despite the obvious differences then the Ganzo G720 counts as well. :bigsmile:

And navy with k610 and k631 with the spyderco tenacious and police

I think finding a small knife like Boker Subcom very difficult. I founde article for site jonsguide.org. Where can choose Benchmade Griptilian Knives I buy Benchmade Griptilian knives very happy with purchase.

Great Thread Thanks