Littokala 500 "Engineer" charger -> questions

So I got one. Seems fine. The manual though - is not good.

Questions:

1. I thought I saw where someone had posted a clarification/translation of the instructions, where was that?

2. Does it maintain charge if you leave the batteries in all the time? (so they would always be fresh, hopefully)

3. It says something about recovering 0 volt batteries, how does that work? (especially for LiIon, which can be dangerous)

4. I guess that’s it.

thanks
wle

#1. Not sure about that.
#2. I think there is an External Power Standby current: < 15.0m A … (I got the info HERE) … but I don’t leave batteries in a charger.
#3. It will reset the protection circuit on a “Protected” Lithium Ion battery.
#4. Hope this helps a little bit……. :wink:

Lii 500 Review

My policy is never leave cells in a charger for more than a few hours after the charging cycle is done. Just my opinion. One other thing, never leave Li-Ion batteries charge unintended.

:+1:
I try to follow those same policies Glenn, I don’t worry too much about the NiMh staying in the charger a short while (couple of three hours or so) after termination of charge; but I do try to keep an eye on the Li Ion’s and take them out shortly after charge termination.

Every now and then I’ll break these rules either by choice or falling asleep…… but that’s on me. I know better. :person_facepalming:
So, if something goes wrong in those times; at least I’ll have the “pleasure” of knowing …. I did it to myself. :smiley:

Chuck, I’m glad you basically follow my suggestions. I’m not saying I’m an expert, but I have an internal sense on doing things safely. I very rarely take anything for granted. Even though I haven’t had a problem in the 6 years I’ve using Li-Ion batteries, I never let my guard down.

Completely agree. I always check on li-ion cells every 15 minutes during charging and remove as soon as possible after termination. I also check on NiMH cells around termination as it is not uncommon for not so good cells to fail to terminate and keep on cooking.

Very cool :slight_smile: I measure the temperature of my cells with my Fluke Mini 92 IR thermometer while charging every 30 minutes or so. I also have a 90mm fan blowing across the charger and batteries. That said, I’ve never measured more than 30 degrees C even while discharging. It’s better to be safe than sorry.

Discharging old Panasonic CGR18650D’s at 1 amp