Looking for a AA/14500 light for EDC

You know you NEED to get both right?…nudge-nudge-nudge…. :sunglasses:

If it makes it any easier for you, the XPL in the E11/UT01 is a V6 flux BIN, which is brighter than the V3 BIN of the MI7.

That’s a pretty slick charger. Something different for sure.

Thanks for the link and information. Having the lockout is great. That’s something I always look for. I have found too many lights on or dead just when I needed them the most.

Bob

+1
You can also ask a code from tatasal: The amazing Klarus Mi7 Ti, G20, OLIVE DRAB/SILVER ready-to-ship, Black, Red, Blue (no-clip) CLOSED again.

I bought 1 Mi7 (Olive with clip) for $19.98, using M4D M4X’s code & aff-link.

Then I saw them at KD for $14.59 and I bought 3 of them for $13.86 (other colors - with clip all of them), using code BLF. It must have been a KD’s mistake, cause this price ended in a few minutes.

I know that you said beam pattern over lumens, but does that mean you are looking for more of a thrower than a flooder? The reason I ask is, no one has mentioned the Manker T01. In the 14500/AA class, it has the longest throw of any the lights I own. It’s a bit pricey and coupons/discounts are hard to come by. IIRC, a few months back, they release a version 2. I have the version 1. The T01 does have a large head and it’s that large head which allows for a larger reflector, resulting in the superior throw.

I also own 2 UT01’s, one in each tint, a Klarus Mi7 and more than a few Jetbeam Jet-1 MK. Of the three, the one I tend to carry most often is the UT01. Part of that is because the Mi7 I received was defective and drains batteries in a matter of days, where as others have reported around 6 months before 14500 batteries were drained.

To be fair, I think that even if my Mi7 worked properly, I’d probably still lean towards the UT01 because it’s more versatile. As Kramer5150 pointed out,

Here’s the link to the table I created, using the data posted by various BLF members. On AA NiMH, a properly working Mi7 could take over a year and a half to drain a fully charged battery.

I just took tail cap readings from my UT01 and the drain is too low to register a reading.

Nice score. At that price, I would have been all over that!

How does the beam pattern of UT01 compare to the beam pattern of Jet-1 MK? Thanks!

That’s where I am leaning as well. The UT01 is the cheaper of the two. The code I got from M4D M4X is for Bangood and the last order I had from them wasn’t a good experience.

Not specifically looking for throw. I’m just looking for a good quality artifact free beam.

Bob

I don’t have beam shots but I’d say the Jet-1’s hotspot is about half the diameter of the UT01. Also, when comparing the Jet-1 to the Manker T01, the T01’s hotspot is about half the diameter of the Jet-1.

What I like about the Jet-1 is it’s simplistic design. Less complicated design, less things to go wrong. It has a simple interface with 3 light levels and mode memory. Twisty head means no switch to go bad, no switch cover to wear out and leak. Just about the only serviceable part is the o-ring. Because they are so cheap, I can leave lying around and know I’ll have a reliable light when ever I need one. They are pretty good at draining primaries down to nothing and if an alkaline leaks, I’m not out a whole lot.

What I like about the UT01 is it’s multiple modes, easy-to-use switch, battery level check, reversible body (and clip) and high output with 14500.

For me, the Jet-1’s the uncomplicated beater and the UT01’s more sophisticated. Kinda Timex vs Seiko.

I’ve got both Mi7 and EA11. Mi7 for EDC and EA11 as a work light. Rarely use the EA11 any more, the Mi7 is such a competent little light that takes up zero space with an excellent UI and beam pattern. Mine came with a clip too. The EA11 is a touch brighter and throwier and normally that would be enough to swing it in my book, but the ridiculously compact package and UI of the Mi7 more than make up for it.

I lost mine a couple of days ago. Didn’t look at any other options - I immediately ordered a new one. Before I was totally sure the Mi7 was lost beyond all hope - if it turns up, I’ve got two and I’m a happy bunny.

Thanks. So would you classify UT01’s beam pattern as more of a flood then? Or somewhere between a flood and a throw?

I ordered the Utorch UT01 from Gearbest. I like Klarus lights and I wanted to order the Mi7 but I just couldn’t get past the mode spacing.

I also am going to order the Olight magnetic charger to supplement my Nitecore D4. That magnetic charger is the ultimate in portability. Thanks for sharing that Kramer.

There is a public code for the Utorch that knocks off a few more dollars. It can be found here:

Utorch code

Now I just need to order a couple of the Efest high drain 14500 batteries and I will be GTG.

Thanks for the suggestions and input .

Bob

I dunno. Short range thrower? Long range flooder? :smiley:

Jetbeam lists range for the Jet-1 as 130m. I haven’t seen UTorch’s claim, but Gearbest says 50-100m beam distance for the UT01.

For me, since I carry the T01 specifically for throw, my purpose for carrying the UT01 is for close area light, so flood. I’m thinking about adding diffusion film to the front of it. As it comes out of the box, I’d say it suits most of my EDC needs.

Hope that muddied up the waters for you. :wink:

Yep, pushed me over the edge. :smiley:

I see the TI Mi7 in my future as well. We’ll see. They are like potato chips; can’t have just one.

Bob

Someone the other day was asking about the UT01 / E11 firefly mode. After directly comparing with my Quark AAT and Thrunite TH20 head lamp, the UT01/E11 “firefly” mode is considerably brighter than either. My modded AAT is around ~.6L and the stock TH20 is .3L. If I had to take a guess the UT01/E11 lowest low mode is around 1.5~2L. It is so floody though, its pretty much a non-issue for me as it really doesn’t affect my night vision.

Sounds like it will be about perfect for me. It will probably be just enough for me to read without disturbing my wife with a bright light.

Thanks for all of your posts and contributions to this thread.

Bob

I like both of those lights, have contemplated getting them. However, I’ve read they both use PWM at lower levels.

That’s one of the reasons I bought the Utorch UT01.

Bob

I’m guessing the Utorch UT01 is the same as a Manker E11 but just with a different label

And little lower price.

Bob

they are identical outside of a few very minor cosmetic differences…

they use the same E11 driver…