Looking for a certain sized diffuser (22.4-22.5 mm head)

Hi all,
I am a big fan of lampshade/lantern type diffusers and try to keep one on hand for all my lights (except throwers and headlamps).

Two of my favorite lights have a 22.4-22.5 mm head (one is a 16340 Thrunite W1, and one is a 2x AA Wurkkos Wk05) and I’m hoping to find a diffuser that fits both of them. Neither light has a diffuser that is marketed to fit. Most of the diffusers I can find online are sized for a little larger head (think 18650 light at 25+mm).

I really like the little glow silicone diffusers from Lumintop but am open to other styles. The wand style is OK, but I would prefer less bulk if possible. This wand style diffuser is the only one I have found that meets the specs, but a 21-23 mm range is a bit broad.

Anyone have experience with another diffuser that would fit?

Hmm…
It’s a shame there are no 16340 Convoy lights.
Some people like the Convoy diffusers, though I haven’t used them.

Get some sticky-back diffusion film (bug Boaz for some), cut to shape, slap it on.

All my “diffused” lights are either:

1. nonsticky film cut to shape and wedged between glass and reflector,

2. sticky film cut to shape and slapped on the inside surface of the glass,

3. sticky film cut to shape and slapped on the outside surface of the glass (most “reversible” option), or,

4. nonsticky film cut to shape which “accidentally” just wedges into the bezel and doesn’t fall off.

That last one’s my Xeno, and it unintentionally just worked out that way.

I know 16340 doesn’t get much love anymore, but I still really like/use a couple 16340 lights.

I have a 16340 light that also takes CR123 primaries so I can always load them up with disposable cells in a pinch. Seems to be a good option, though not quite as certain as finding AA primaries to drop in a 14500 light.

Most of the companies that are making diffusers seem to be making them for 18650 sized lights or small AA lights and the in between is harder to find.

Hello! I got size S diffusers from this listing on aliexpress. it fits my ts10 perfectly (head D=21.1mm), and almost fits my sofirn sc31 pro (didn’t measure head dia).

Here is how it looks on ts10:

2 Thanks

Maybe it’s a bad assumption, but I would expect the lampshade style silcone/plastic diffusers that protrude an inch or two past the bezel to be far superior for my role. I want to be able to hang the light in a tent or set it in the center of a picnic table while camping and use it as a lantern. If I tailstand the light on a picnic table with diffuser, I’m looking for most of the light to go out instead of up.

With a diffusion film directly on the lens, it seems the light would not be dispersed as widely. Whereas when the light makes it past the bezel and then diffuses, it seems it would provide light at a 180 degree angle. In my head, a film right on the lens which seems to me must provide light at a smaller angle. Does that make sense? Am I wrong?

1 Thank

Hmmm. That might do the trick! I’ll check it out.

You didn’t mention that part, figured you just wanted a less-throwy light that’d be better for close-in work.

Could always make one, then. Small LDPE dispenser bottle with the tip part cut off, etc.

Sorry, should have been more clear in the initial post!

DIY with LDPE bottle is a good idea.

Also if you don’t need it that tall, you can just cut it at the right height for your needs

1 Thank

Went ahead and ordered two. I’ll probably leave one as is and mod the second.

When they get here in 4 weeks, that is.

1 Thank