Looking for a durable no-frills keychain light

It’s not that I don’t want to run with those normally, but that I need a light that still functions correctly with alkaline if I’m in a situation where that’s all that’s available. I refuse to deal with a light that flickers or runs at half brightness or something just because I’m caught without a (charged) fancy battery on me.

Naw, I have an incan one of those. Still too big. I want something no longer than a swiss army knife.

The solitaire LED just happens to be the first light I found that hits all my requirements, but I’m not in love with it or anything. I’d like to see if anything else is out there first.

Do you mean “E01”? I can’t find anything about an “ED01”

Looked at that, not interested. Not typing out a book in morse code to switch modes. MAYBE the i3 since it’s simpler, but I still don’t like the whole rapid fire twist action business.

As for my opinion of Maglite, I’ve never seen one die due to abuse so I use them as a baseline for durability, but have no loyalty to the company either way. I never liked the blotchy spot patterns on the incans, but I really really like the Nite Ize mod I put in mine, so now that they’re moving to LED I’m a lot more interested.

If you just want to try something different that won’t cost much order up one of these:

http://www.manafont.com/product_info.php/tank007-e09-cree-r2-3mode-led-flashlight-complete-box-set-aaa-p-8040

I think you’ll be shocked by it’s performance and despite the modes you can use it a single mode light and you’ll never know. The only downside is it eats through batteries on high.

Personally I think the new LED Solitaire is a nice blend of jack of all trades, but you can’t get them in the UK yet. The Tank007 is cheap enough that should you not like it, then it’s no loss. Plus you can always put it on another set of keys a backup.

My shirt pocket has been home for a much loved and much used iTP A3 E0S for two years now. Been threw the washer several times and still works without a hitch.
I recently bought a Tank 007 that is now replacing the iTP. Does everything just a little better except it doesn’t have a pocket clip. Actually has some throw to it. Less than $14 at FastTech and only took them a week to get it to me.

EVA is a great single mode light that is extremely well made and durable and is only $11.35

The S1-1 is a single mode 100 lumen light that should last a long long time and is only $8.55

FT also now carries the Thrunite Ti and for $17.98 you get an extremely well made two mode torch with exquisite knurling and firefly mode

Pelican 1910 or streamlight 1aaa
Single mode clickies that throw good and have 39 or more lumens.
Great pocket lights

I have the 2aaa versions of these and love them

I really think the 1910 would suit your needs, Pelican are tough and have a great warranty

Someone suggested them before, but I’ve heard mixed things about their reliability.

I second or third or whatever times it is… Fenix LD01. When you twist it on it goes to medium if you shut it off and then turn back on it goes to medium (if done over 2 seconds or something) unless you do it in rapid succession then to low, high, medium. If it’s been off it always defaults back to medium probably what most people need most of the time. I didn’t think i was going to like this light because of the twisty but it’s awesome so easy to use and super small. It’s my first “real” light and I love it. good luck with your search

Besides the fact that I don’t want to have to twist anything back and forth several times in the first place, I’m not fond of the med > low > hi cycle on this one.

I can never get this straight, what’s their relationship to Olight again? Some of these are the same units just with different names, right?

Those look interesting, but I can’t find hardly any reviews on them.

In my experience twisties are more reliable than buttons, but otherwise it seems interesting, I’ll have to look at that in more depth. I’m seeing a lot of Streamlights but can’t tell from the pix which are 1xAAA. Do you happen to know specific model numbers?

Peak Eiger is another option.
Made in US, Solid, reliable, pricey.
Get it without the QTC (variable output) for single level functionality.
Can take any AAA battery you throw at it.

EDIT: just saw your similar thread on CPF and Peak Eiger was mentioned there. I think the single mode version might be right up your alley.

Those look interesting, but I can’t find hardly any reviews on them.
[/quote]

I also have one of these little lights and I just might like it the best. Like it so much, I have another one inbound. I didn’t mention it in the first place because you said you wanted one hand operation. I can turn it on and off with one hand but it’s a little tricky. I love that it’s one mode. Just as bright as the Tank and much brighter than my iTP A3 E0S. It tailstands very good.

http://www.sbflashlights.com/L3-Illumination/L3-Illumination-L10-Colors-Nichia-219-p284.html

If you never had a Nichia you have no idea what real color is from a light ...Same with a real low ...On a keychain light it;s very useful ....if 4 modes and a moonlight mode is too much to handle then 3 perfectly spaced modes like 3 /30/120 is almost perfect ..all this and a AA whats not to love .

http://www.sbflashlights.com/L3-Illumination/L3-Illumination-L10-Colors-Cree-XPG2-p278.html

Xpg-2 will be brighter and have more throw but the nichias higher cri makes it a big trade off .

http://www.batteryjunction.com/olight-i3s-blue.html?gclid=CNbR6IjH5LcCFWFp7AodkQwAKQ

multiple modes in a twist isn't rocket science //or morse code :P

If too much twisting is really all that difficult than a Thrunite Ti with two modes or a nitecore ezAA clone may be an answer ..Twist to low and just twist further for high ....Easy enough to just pass up the low and go straight to maximum

http://www.thrunite-store.com/flashlights/thrunite-flashlights/t-series-light/thrunite-ti2-80-lumens-cree-xp-g2-led-aaa-flashlight.html

or a fenix Ld15 same type user interface ... real simple

Or you could buy a nitecore ez AA...i'm the only one I know who still has them though:) Pm me if you want one

Like I said it’s not like I have a moral issue with the idea of modes in and of themselves, just that they always seem to be accompanied by a fiddly switch mechanism that’s almost guaranteed to die after several years. Additionally, I’m not fond of a light where I have to remember how many clicks/twists I need to do to get to the mode I want. If it has a simple multi-position switch that’s fine, but I take a dim view (har har) of ones where I have to click or twist back and forth a lot.

I can one-hand my 2xAA Maglite without issue, how would this compare?

Yeah, the thing about these and some of the other suggestions is that I can’t find any reviews or ratings on them. I’d be fine taking a gamble with something like a Fenix E05 (5.5 stars with over 200 reviews on Amazon), but I’m leery of a specialty brand where I really have no idea what their reputation is like. I want to play it safe and conservative here.

Maybe I can get better suggestions by rewording the question.

If I want a light that is:

• no bigger than a SAK (1xAAA, ultra compact 1xAA, etc)
  • bright enough to overpower dim lighting (maybe 25+ lumens?)
  • EXTREMELY reliable and durable, with a good reputation, a robust non-fiddly switch mechanism that won’t die in 10 years, and circuitry that won’t burn out

… what are my choices?

LOL

Does BLF need spicing up - with Dorothy Dixers?
[I don’t know whether this is only an Oz term]?

The thread looked interesting - perhaps some new developments in AAA lights to check out :slight_smile:

And I thought we third-Chimps were the cognitive ones - personal, critical investigation helping in this regard!

PS: Must admit to a lengthy, fulsome wrap on Amazon leading me to pay [over the odds with US p&h] far more than it was worth for a XL100. A slippery little cuss that droops over time.
Downgraded my prior good opinion of Mag-Lite products.
Perhaps, as with vehicle reliability etc - the US strengths are now in the marketing & advertising sectors; rather than production/engineering?

About half way through the thread I switched to just skimming :frowning:

Possibly I’m just an ole Grump :bigsmile:

The Fenix LD01 CREE R4 LED Flashlight that people have recommended is the best choice.

It turns on at 26 lumens every time, that’s it.

If you want 3 lumens at 27 hours run time, then you twist it a second time. Good for blackouts and elevator break downs.

If you want 72 lumens, then you twist it a third time. Good for searching the yard or warehouse.

If you just want the 26 lumens, then you merely turn it on, it always turns on at that level, you never need to ever use or even see the other brightnesses if you don’t want to, they are merely hidden there if you want them.

26 lumens, turn on, turn off.

It is AAA and it is in as dependable a light as they come, with a limited lifetime guarantee, my old one has been on my key chain for 6 years someday I will get a new one.

The Maglight is much easier because its long enough to get a good grip in the palm of your hand. Also, you twist the head of the maglight which is easier. The little FandyFire turns on and off by twisting the tailcap of the light and its hard to get a good grip with just one hand.
I played with it for awhile and now I can do it without too much problem.

Eh. The Fenix E05 has the same rating and it’s a much more simple design so I’d trust it more. I know people really like the LD01 but I don’t think it’s for me.