Looking for a durable no-frills keychain light

I refuse to believe that. There’s no reason you can’t make a durable LED based light.

Ok, fair enough. Dimension-wise that wouldn’t bother me, I just checked and I can also unscrew the tailcap on my 2xAAA minimag one hand. I think it comes down to how much resistance it needs to twist and how the grips are carved.

The 2aaa minimag is much longer making it easier. That gives you more fingers to hold the body of the light while you twist the head between your pointer finger and your thumb. The FandyFire is so tiny you can’t use as many fingers.

The Streamlight Microstream

Simple and effective

Not many lights will last ten years, especially if your using alkaline batteries which tend to leak if left in too long.
Fewer still are single mode, and although twistie switches have less that can go wrong. I’d still choose with the Microstream as a first choice, Pelican 1910 as a second choice, and the Fenix eo5 as third.
All are affordable, durable and have good warranties. For casual light use, they’ll last you a long time.
If you want it to last ten years, don’t use alkaline batteries

Oh sure I want one that will never break, but I know there’s no way any device can make that guarantee. What I’m actually looking for is something with the lowest possible chance of breaking.

Hence why I’m looking for one with a very simple design with few or no extra features.

Well, there’s no way to tell without holding one in person. I’ll at least assume there’s a possibility of it being on handed, so I’m still open to considering them if I can find hard data on their reliability and such.

I know about the Pelican, that Streamlight looks like it could be interesting. Both of them are getting a little on the long side for my taste, but they’re on on the list.

Yeah, I know all about leaking alkalines. I don’t plan on using them normally, but the light does need to function properly with them if it’s all that’s available.

http://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10003622/1375501-trustfire-mini-03-cree-xp-g-r5-3-mode-200-lumen-wh

The e05 is high on my list, but I’m worried about the ‘flood’ style beam with the comparatively low lumens. I do need to see things further away from time to time.

I have a Thrunite Ti2 (XP-G2 emitter) and its a fantastic little light. Single AAA, two modes, very nice build quality and is bright for its size.

IPX8 rating, AR lens, OP reflector.

From my other thread:

This one’s been mentioned before, but there aren’t a lot of reviews and I’ve heard mixed things about their reliability.

As a side note, why are the colored versions always more expensive than black? I mean I guess black is cool and all, but I’d like to have a shot at seeing the damn thing if I drop it in the dark when it’s off. Why does no one ever make white flashlights….

Um, no actually I haven’t if you were paying attention. I have like half a dozen on the list, with the e05 being up at the top with the Solitaire.

Btw, a couple people said the e01 is potted. Does anyone know if that applies to the e05 as well?

Oh I know it’s because they’re not as popular, it just bugs me. Maybe it’s because I care about functionality more than style.

Based on my recollection of material sciences, I seriously doubt that color has any measurable effect on heat dissipation in something like an aluminum flashlight. I’m not even going to get into the heat dissipation of incan bulbs. I’m pretty sure black is just a more common color because geeks happen to like it.

Sorta, that depends on your definition of “white”. You can get a pretty damn light grey color which is close enough to white for most purposes. And it’s not like you couldn’t just use some sort of coating or sealing that has nothing to do with anodizing.

Look, if you want to argue with me about stupid shit that’s fine, but do it via PM.

::sigh::
Did you even read my opening post in this entire topic?

It’s almost like a game.

So, I like the design of these and do really like the concept of the way they did the switch (linear action), but I have serious concerns about the execution. Of the reviews that I can find, a recurring theme is that the switch contact works via flexing some metal tab that eventually snaps off. If it wasn’t for this they’d be a lot higher on my list.

If you want to play a game where you don’t pay attention to half of what I’m saying and then complain when I point that out, that’s fine, but I’m probably not going to play with you.