Looking for driver... for new XP-G2 emitter

Hello to all,
I have decided to build EDC flashlight. Is planned to use Solarforce L2n or L2p body.
So, the new XP-G2 (neutral white 4500k) emitter will be placed on P60 drop-in.
But I can not figure out - what to do with driver?
This would be suitable 4x1735V2 (1520mA) but I like better this driver (of course with a few chips disconnecting). I like the fourth star modes: 10% and 100%(ideal for me). But this has 350mA chips - so I can get 1400mA (4x350mA) or 1750mA (5x350mA)…
or 1750mA will be ok for P60, or it’s too big current and it slowly kills LED emitter?
1400mA would be much safer, but the LED will not be so bright… or difference is visible between 1400mA and 1520mA?
What would you suggest?

Here is a link to Match's test results with the XP-G2 at different currents.

https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/11018

Thank you very much,
According to the graph:
XP-G2 at 1400mA is ~440lm
XP-G2 at 1520mA is ~460lm
XP-G2 at 1750mA is ~500lm
definitely (4500k 4C) difference is even smaller…
So between 1520mA and 1400mA no significant differences, and in theory I could stay with 1400mA, but 500lm (at 1750) sounds sweeter…
I could stay with 440lm (1400mA), but it will be hard to realize that was able to get more…

Question - or 1750mA for p60 not too much? or there is no risk to overheat?

People use XM-L at 3A/10W in P60 lights, so I’d say 1.75A should be ok.
Maybe try some additional heat sinking between drop-in and body (heat conducting glue, copper foil, …)
I’d personally go for 5*AMC7135.

Thank you, it was what I wanted to hear :slight_smile:
Of course I will use the foil between drop-in and body… It will be a good hand warmer :slight_smile:

I would not worry much if the heatsinking is ok.

In my modified LP DminiVX I have an XP-G2 driven at full 2,5A from the original LP driver (was for the Xm-l). I'm using it a lot in the last month without any problem. Nice little thrower.

Thanks Rockspider
So I really have nothing to worry about :slight_smile:

I use the KD V2 driver 6x7135 2.28a driver in my p60 dropin. Have been using for the last month and have had no problems. It is super bright my favorite light at the moment. Gives the famous MF dropin a run for its money! More throw and nearly as bright. I have the 2B tint and its great!

Thanks again to all for the answers,
I have chosen Nanjg 7135x6 2.1A, which I will remove one chip and get 7135x5 1.75A - for me it will be enough.
Can not wait when be able to put together it all :nerd_face:

enjoy! and let us know when everything is up and running!

I’d leave that chip on - the XP-G2 can handle 2.1A fine and the extra chip will give you a more useful medium mode (~500mA vs. ~630mA or so). It seems counter-intuitive that a higher current driver will give you longer runtime, but if you use it more in the mid-mode as a result, it works out pretty well. My XM-L driven by 5x7135 chips is great on high, but could do with being just a smidge brighter in the medium mode.

Thanks for replies mattthemuppet and oldbobk.
Theoretically, 1.75A would be enough for me, 500lm sounds sufficiently… I usually use only Hi mode (at least 90% of cases).
Theoretically 2.1A will be brighter, but are the difference will be visible? Following the table it is only ~540lm VS. ~500lm (2.1A VS. 1.75A). Also, (at 1.75A) the battery will lasts a little longer… as I said, I almost always use Hi mode, so for me not so important how bright is Med mode… As I said at the beginning: I like the fourth star modes: 10% and 100%(ideal for me). 1.75A (~500lm) I could use daily and 175mA (probably ~70lm) in rare cases, can be used as candle light in tent, or for close-up viewing.
I have had several torches with (Lo-Med-Hi or Hi-Med-Lo + blinking modes) and I know that I almost never use Med mode… It only interfere me when I need switch over…
Maybe by the time I change my mind and will want 3 modes - but it can be changed…

Okey!
Only, it will definitely be after a long time, because Christmas is coming and Chinese mail in this time becomes even slower… :~
I hope that all this will come before Christmas, and I could make a nice gift for myself :slight_smile:

that’s the beauty of modding - you can have it exactly the way you want it! If you check out DrJones lupodrv thread you can even have your cake and eat it by being able to reprogram the driver on the fly :slight_smile:

Here it is! :slight_smile: