Looking for my first headlamp (not Fisher price)

I’d say the SP40 is around 5000k. The dimming can be a great feature it just keeps going. You can also tell the battery level by brightness instead of taking it off your head to look at the indicator. It’s a great light and so far my favorite headband. Sorry about the dust I was sanding. Here’s the SP40 on my bike with a Zebralight headstrap. It just stays there with Velcro until needed.

Viperkeeper, can you report what else you have there besides the SP40? Thanks.

The main light is an EagleTac MX30L4XC with 12x Nichia 219b and a Mountain FET driver. The two
lights on top are Zanflare B3. The bike is a 2004 Norco Downhill, I converted to electric. The bike is 84v 4000w (40x Sanyo 20700a) with 12v 240w dedicated to lighting. The display is a universal electric vehicle controller there’s a wattmeter on it showing the power used by the lights.

Much obliged. :+1: Now I’m gonna go study.

Thanks folks. For now I ordered the Sofirn SP40 and the Convoy H1. The Eagletac was a bit to expensive for now.

Nice setup Viperkeeper! I was sondering what that white spot on the horizon was for ages! :smiley:

Unfortunately I’m a little late but I was going to point out that the SP40 is available in both 3000k & 4000k tints at the official Sofirn Store on AliExpress.

LINK

I know, I bought the 3000k version. For me, lower K usually looks like it has more contrast. I find it easier on the eyes :slight_smile:

Hopefully it serves you well!

Might be worth taking a glance at the YLP Panda 2M CRI as well, it’s one of the only high CRI headlights at this price point.

You’ll like it’s an awesome light. My parents are in the Red Cross and recently went to help with hurricane relief. I got them SP40’s. In my mind it’s the most useful emergency light. Works as a right angle EDC light, headlamp, has USB charging, simple UI with hidden turbo and it continues to produce light for a longer time over regulated lights.

I like the Thrunite for biking but I feel like I’m watching the clock. It
only runs 90 minutes on high. I’m also worrying I should have brought a few spare 18650’s. I don’t have to think about the SP40 ,I can just ride.

Sp40 was going to be my recommendation. The h1 is at a great price point but the weight is not ideal and the strap isn’t the greatest. Otherwise I love most convoy products.

Love my YLP. The was planning on recommending it until I saw him say that using it in the hand as a flashlight was important as well. The 2M’s form factor doesn’t work quite as well for that.

I have owned the Skillhunt and the Zebralight models you mentioned in your post.
Skillhunt quality is good, but it doesn’t come close to the Zebralight. Ended up selling the Skillhunt as it felt cheap in comparison.

The Zebralight feels more like a high end vehicle. Much nicer aluminum finish, nicer button, recessed, programmable UI, list goes on.
The Skillhunt is more like a Hyundai Accent.

I would go with the Zebralight for the high CRI 4000K tint, over the skillhunt.
If you don’t want to spend much money, go for the Skillhunt especially if you can mod the light and swap in a high cri led.

I would also keep an eye on Armytek lights. They have promotions occasionally and you can get yourself a Wizard Pro at a good price.

Adding:
YLP Panda CRI looks like a great option if you want to stick to your budget.

Had to look to see what you mean, but it should be okay.

I’d regularly “palm” my RJ02 with or without the strap when that’s all I had available (eg, vs walking 5’ to get a different light).

With could get a bit annoying if it’d drape itself in front of the LED (eg, shining downward), but without was perfect.

I have a bunch from the Olight H2r to the cheap Lumintrail Lth 20. Out of all the H2r is the brightest with the most floodiest beam. Cheap Lth 20 has a tight spot for distance. Fenix hp25r has the best of both worlds but heavy but the flood is weak. Best and most reliable light I have? Zebralight h600d mkiv. Bright. Nice wide hot spot. Beautiful spill. You can see the world as it wizzes past you while riding.

In your Zebralight h600d mkiv, does the beam have any noticeable tint shift from spot to spill?
I used to have the H600Fc and I wished it had more throw.

No tint shift that I can see. Just a wider than liking 17 degree hot spot as I use my light for fishing and hunting and need a tighter beam for distance. The flood Halo is gradual and offers great peripheral which more than makes up for extreme distance. But I do have a BFL sp36 on order to assist with that.

I wish they made an xhp35 high CRI version.

Only 80+ CRI but this is available: H600w Mk IV 18650 XHP35 Neutral White Headlamp-H600w Mk IV

80+ CRI is better than average, but I like 9050+ …