Looking to HIRE Someone to Make Me a Custom Flashlight

I really like that thing. The brilliant young man who built it died earlier this year, or I would ask him. :cry:

Can someone here build me one, but with half of the LEDs being COB UVs like these:

20W 30W 50W 100W UV Purple LED COB Bead Light High Power Ultraviolet DIY Lamp Chip - 100W

??

With rechargeable batteries and as long a runtime as possible with said batteries?

Please?

It’s definitely doable. Start with full spectrum LED and then fine tune both sides. The hardest part would be to find LED with decent output below 360nm.
There are ready to use portable are lighting for mining with tons of output. Start with those, and swap the LED/MCPCB. It’s easier if you consider LPG/gas powered generator for portability. AFAIK insects don’t bother the noise created by the genset.

- Clemence

Whoa… he dead? Damn.

Anyhoo, I’m sure someone here would be able to throw together one-a those.

Check this out:
135watt of 365nm + 165watt of 385nm + 157watt of 395nm. Enough to cause you skin cancer, blindness + cataracts, and curing ton of glue

24.9mm x 45.0mm x 1.6mm

Are the bugs attracted to the overall amount of light or the intensity of the light?
I’m wondering whether luminance the actual goal rather than brightness.

Brightness is the total amount of light, luminance is the brightness for a specified area.
If you imagine a standard household lightbulb (the first one that comes to mind, and imagining it lit would help a lot!) we can say that the brightness is 1 unit, and the luminance is 1 unit per lightbulb.
If you then add another 99 of exactly the same lightbulbs (all lit please) then the brightness is now 100 times greater, 100 units, but the luminance is 100 units per 100 lightbulbs which is still 1 unit per lightbulb. The brightness of the lightbulb doesn’t change, there’s just more of them.
Now, if you go back to your original single lit lightbulb and imagine it 100 times brighter (ouch!) the brightness is again 100 times greater, 100 units, but now the luminance is 100 units per lightbulb, so the luminance has also increased 100 fold.

So my question is effectively: Would the bugs be more attracted to 100 lightbulbs at the original brightness, or 1 lightbulb at 100 times the original brightness?

Yes, motorcycle accident. What a damn shame. The kid was a genius.

Duh….bugs like light.
However the light is measured, which is too technical for me, the brighter the better.

I can’t haul around a generator. I need this thing to be manageable when traipsing through woodsy areas with underbrush and slippery mud etc., while hauling other stuff too.

This Nichia module emits only one wavelength not all 3
And the pricing will be 4 digits per module so not budget

[quote=Lexel]

Ouch.

I was just teasing uou guys. Of course you’ll need all the required spectrum which means 4x $$$$ :laughing:

- Clemence

I'm not sure but I'm betting there are issues with certain emitters that produce specific wave lengths .I know that people wanted red and green emitters but were sad to find that they were only available in an emitter that did like 200 lumens while regular "white emitters would do up to 3000+ lumens so some part of this light would be populated with a bunch of a certain emitter to get that wave length up to equal output (if that really matters ) People are talking UV but I'm pretty sure normal uv emitters aren't very high powered . So yeah maybe a guy makes a crazy high powered light but not in the spectrum you'd want and I'm sure it starts dropping from it's max like a stone .people like to talk big numbers but runtime ?? ha ..I'm a doubter .

I'd start experimenting with what's available and start adding lights and wave lengths to the mix.

Getting any light to run for three hours at max is very very hard .Especially since the trend lately has been to bang a huge number just to sell a light and then within seconds the light is overheating and the driver is smart enough to start ramping output down dramatically..Like half in less than 30 seconds ...

In the past manufacturers were smart not to try to squeeze every possible lumen out of a light and had the max outputs set to reasonable levels ..WHY ? because so many people just have no concept of what's really going on and think hey I want max >>… why can't I run it on high all the time ? ...Why can't I run my car at 9000 rpm all the time ?

The bigger is better boyish mentality is just lost on some people .It seems manufacturers have learned they either have to play the same game or risk losing business to people who are generally willing to lie to customers .

I don't know how insects are attracted to light ..If they are more attracted to a flood or a thrower ?.I assume a flood will get them in the area but not necessarily onto a sheet ? I'd want to play with some already well known proven lights and add second and third lights into the mix before having someone just build a big multi wave length light .

Think the hard part is the fact certain wave length led emitters can only be driven so hard .. and have such low output .

Imagine....wanting to attract bugs ? how crazy is that ?

My question as well … are they attracted to flood or throw ? or both ?

Safety issues need to be seriously considered as well .

I have a neighbor who thinks High powered UV isn't an issue at all ..well maybe not for him since he's safely behind lights that are pointed at everyone else .

Why ‘Duh’?
The fact that you asked for huge throw and reference a parking lot light implies intensity matters, which requires a different solution to just more lumens and might mean that instead of needing an unmanageable amount of equipment to produce more light you might just need a way to better focus the light from a manageable amount of equipment.

[quote=Marc E]

[quote=CathyApgar]

Hmmm. Yes, focusing the light where it is needed, which is just about always onto a white sheet, is certainly important. Also important is having a very bright light, so that insects from many meters away are drawn to the light. I mean, I could just swing a net around in the vegetation nearby and get whatever bugs happen to be at arm’s length. but I want bugs to see the light from a ways off and head for it.

I’m learning from you all that there are a lot more dimensions to this whole thing that I had not thought of!

Intensity
Throw
Focus
Lumens
Wavelength

…there’s a lot to consider.

Maybe I should just ask you all, what is the best available light for the job, whether it’s a flashlight or a work light or whatever- that will run on batteries and have the brightest, longest sustained light.

I understand that Big Lumens are not sustainable for long…so how much light can I get, and for how long, with what’s available off the shelf? And once we have that figured out, the same question for portable UV lights.

And then beyond that- can you guys improve on those lights?

Also- let me ask you guys who know stuff, regarding the light shown in the video linked by Lightbringer, the one made by the late Samm Shepard, how long do you think available batteries could power that thing at max output? Cause, I really do not know.

The light in the video has 9 lipo cells in series at what looks like 2200mah.

Runtime of that thing would be less than 10min

@CathyApgar, don’t forget that he is using ill-rated COB LEDs. They don’t output 10000 lumens at 100W, but rather 6000 lumens.

So you would need even more power to actually get some good luminosity out of it, and color rendition would still be disgusting.

Still, it would be doable if you can find an optic that fits this beast:
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/MAXTOCH-Copper-MCPCB-4pcs-XPH70-32mm-x-1-6mm-Direct-Thermal-Path-Copper-Board/314381_32670892276.html

Then build the light around it.

However, I actually have a different recommendation for you.

Do you know about the BLF Q8?

Well, what you can do is actually replace the LEDs with very high CRI dynamic range 4000k SST-20s. It might not get 5000+lumens.

And with this light, it can actually sustain the brightness without too much difficulty with some cooling due to its excellent design.

And for battery life, you can sign up for this extension set for the Q8:

And get this monstrosity running :):

You would actually need 16 3500mAh 18650s to get the required 3 hours of brightness though :smiley:

BlueSwordM, you are go for launch.