Lostheplot's machine made entry complete 1/10/16

Sorry, I just have a hacked Dremel clone and a rare, single speed rotary saw (advertised like that when I bought it at Aldi) meant to be used with cutting/milling bits and seems to be powered with some kind of induction engine:

I decided to show you an image of it because I've never seen anything sort of this wonderfully bastardized machine. Maybe someone among you could provide more information.

Back on topic, well, you can clearly see these tools may not be the most appropiate to machine flashlight parts :BLUSH: , but hey, this has served me to take that thing out of its briefcase and take another look at it.

Looks like new because it nearly is, and runs quite smoothly.

Cheers ^:)

Looks like a better quality Rotozip. Commonly referred to as a drywall cutout tool. You should be able to find a circle cutting jig for it.

Ltp, definitely machine made if you call that roughing out. :+1: You’ve got me interested.

tapped the head for the front plate

I belive mrsdnf would have a tap wrench the same (we made these in our first year)
set up in the lathe and shaped it

next step will be the recesses for reflectors and lenses

Looking good. Guess it better because your GCC looks serious. Especially, the white brindle one.

Yep I still use a tap wrench that looks identical to yours. Mines has more a rusty colour to it though.
Looking good mate. :+1:

Very interesting start to the build. Looking forward to where it goes.

Man, I am really jealous of those four jaw chucks. You can do so much fun stuff with them. I like the use of the lathe as a milling machine :slight_smile:

O P updated.
10/8 16…

thanks all for the encouragement .

That is looking real sweet and is certainly different. the second last picture opened in a new tab gives you a better idea on how good this is turning out. :+1:

wondering if I should slim the hesd down a little more
might think about it for a couple of days

Are you putting fins on the flats? :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve been thinking about it. they would either be curved or I could mount it in the 4 jaw and wind the tool across it and reset it for each one
again I will think about it for a couple of days. I think curved would be ok though

Starting to take a shape I can identify :student:

Do you guy’s have a clear image of what it is you want to make before starting? It just always seems odd and intriguing to me watching the evolution and development of a light someone else is making.

I cant talk for LTP though I cans say he would be one of the most unassuming, smartest guy I know.

Nice update. I think a finned head would look awesome. :+1:

I usually have a CAD model and planned out every detail. Unless I mess up nothing unexpected really happens.

I don’t have access to cad and I don’t know how to use it.
but I do have access to this system

and then I left the drawing inside and did it my way :confounded:

I drew a sketch but I alway have to sleep on the details. One reason my builds bounce around is doing what I have figured out rather than the next logical item. I don’t think I’d have a plan until I’d made the same one several times and I rarely get to number two.

small update in op
will do some more tomorrow

getting there slowly ,started on the battery tube

haven’t worked out a total length for the tube as the 26350’s haven’t come yet,
and I need to deepen the pockets for the reflectors about 1 mm or trim the reflectors

It looks like a couple of alien eyes, very impressive.