Low-cost copper pills, spacers, optics, drop-ins (Updated 23/10/2022))

I’m not sure what the focal length of a 23 mm aspheric is but using this pill might do that well A shorter collar and finer thread pitch would allow for a deeper reflector and more focal length for an aspheric. It would also allow for thicker wires to fit the same location and ID of the current wire holes. I don’t know if this is the best way to do it but it’s a place to start since it simply replaces the stock bulb holder.

Maglite mod is not so simple.
There is too little place inside head, strange driver place and negative connection, no surfaces that can be used and garantee good heatsinking.
Rufusbduck, how much your pill cost?

Mine is the shiny smooth ano. Got mine off amazon.
couple pictures of mine, looks like my shelf is machined.

Glass is betweed bezel and reflector, no gasket.

Don’t know off hand and could find any record of it, pm’s don’t go back that far. It was no longer being produced even then nor was the driver that went with it. You would have to price it based on your costs anyway. It may be premature to make the pills as there isn’t a drop in driver but as with anything enough interest can drive innovation.

I don’t understand how on/off works with this pill .

The sure thing is , someone needs a 14mm driver , or even less. I guess 12mm driver .

It works the same as the stock pill, loosen the head and the spring pushes the pill against the bare inside end surface making both electrical and thermal contact. Not great but given the copper pill should still be good for a few amps.

I would love to see more of the mini-mag build. Did/would you make a dedicated thread on it?

I have been thinking about doing one I have.

Thanks,

Bob

There isn’t one yet for this but there are plenty around already. What do you want to do to it.

I dont see any reason in making difficult parts that cant provide heat transfert improvement.
If this is expencive things, I would prefer to make full copper head with solid shelf. Tube threads are triple-threads. Damn.

I’m not sure. I was looking at some of the threads. I am sure that I want to do more than the plug in LED.

Bob

I would also like to know what AA maglite is most popular? Single, double or triple cell version?

Is there a single AA version ?

Yes. That’s what I have.

We need to start a thread so we aren’t messing up Kibarus’ thread.

Bob

Even worse I think it’s quad threaded. There’s only the thickness of the collar available as pill if you don’t use the space inside the tube. Even then the head just barely covers the o-ring. One of the main components of current Minimag mods is the removal of this length from the tube to make the space available in the head for the driver so if you want to avoid cutting the host then using that tube space for the pill becomes a necessity. Having run 2A or more through even smaller hosts like the BLF 348 I don’t think heat is as serious an issue as it was before DTP stars became prevalent. The pill could be made much simpler eliminating the threads and collar, leaving just enough post to protrude a few tenths of a mm past the tube and use AA or JB to secure a 14mm DTP star. How many do you make of a given type in any one run? I could buy several for myself, they’re so small shipping won’t be worse than for one or two of the larger pills.

They don’t make a single cell Minimag other than the solitaire and triple cells are rare. If more driver depth were needed the pill could be combined with a single cell spacer to provide much more driver depth and heat sink volume for use with 3V LEDs.

Small parts are harder to make in manual lathe, they take too much time. Also, I still cant find way to make it (minimag mod) as ready-for-use parts, without host machining, problems with driver mount. There is not enough placd inside head to use any popular optics, 14mm dtp pcb does not exist and so on.
If double cell is most popular, we are not going to use AA, and there is no place for buck driver, we need Vf~6v. There is no place for 20mm quad pcb or 24mm quad optics without head and bezel machining, so we look at single leds with needed Vf. MT-G2 is enormous size for this light. XHP50 requires frosted tir or OP reflector for pretty beamshot. And good, thick shelf under mcpcb, otherwise this is excess work.
I will probably try to make one sample for myself. And that we can decide perspectives of this project.

I have searched for it a lot too , kiriba . They only way not modding the host is with the pill RBD showed before (Well , you would be able to do it the other way too, but it will still accept 12mm drivers only ) . Negative side for me is you can’t use 17mm drivers .

If someone has a 19mm drill (or buy one for 3-10:money_mouth_face: , a saw , and a file , he can make it accept a 16mm MCPCB and a 17mm driver ( with the use of an extra pill ofcourse ) . The idea is this : Match's Mods: 15min mini mag mod , but of course with a custom made high quality pill .

The 16 mm noctogon is actually 15.8 mm and does fit in the minimag without sanding. Sinkpads are +16 mm and don’t. I can start a separate thread for a DIY pill which is all that’s missing for drop in ready.

It looks like MTN is currently out of 20mm TPAD Quad XP DTP Copper MCPCB.

Does anyone know of another source? I’m in the US.

I think nobody else is selling them in US. But here are great people, you may ask if anybody have few extra one and Im sure you will find help.