Lowes seems to be following Home Depots lead in flashlights

Thanks BM, this one sounds pretty nice for the price. So it's just two mode? I'm guessing it's a full click between Off-Hi-Low-Off, right?

-Garry

Mere resistors in the tailcap for low is inefficient, it also would mean that high is probably DD
The driver in the tailcap, away from the heat of the pill! There would be problems with switches being integrated with the driver but easier if the switch was an electronic one! But a setup like this could spread the heat around. I like it. Would have to have a positive ground flashlight though.

Yes, you got that right. It reminds me of the current Costco-sold, aspheric Duracell 500 lumen, 3 C cell… except that one actually has an electronic switch. It cuts off the light when the batteries are done. I haven’t checked what that voltage is yet.

I’ve learned a few things from this forum but if this light is DD on high, why is it only pulling +/- 2A? Wouldn’t it be higher with an XM-L? Also, I read an electronic switch is a culprit for parasitic drain. Unfortunately, the threads are not anodized. Thanks dchomak!

All Cree XM-L flashlights with the Duracell featuring an aspheric lens and a flat plastic lens to protect the aspheric… still a bright light.
I compared the throw for the Defiant 3C and the Utilitech 3C and they are fairly close with the Defiant having a bit more flood.

Why does the Defiant need so much more tube space?

side switch

!!

Hmm, so it should fit the DST too then I believe.

-Garry

I found two new (to me) large Utilitech flashlights at Lowes, recently. One is a zoomer with an XM-L(2?) that uses 3x D but the one that really caught my eye is a triple XP-G2. The deep, one piece, smooth reflector has ‘larger diameter than P-60 size’ partitions for each of the emitters. What is even better is it uses 9 AA batteries that I think could be substituted with 3x 26500s or maybe 2-3 26650s.
The weird thing is that this model (sku #0569178) is not on any website that I can find (??!!). Here’s a photo:
!!

I have 3 large lights, including a 3C DST so I’m not interested in buying one till the price drops below ~$40. But I sure hope someone finds one at their store and writes about it.

As a side note, the triple using 3x D batteries that was at HD was a disappointment as it didn’t seem to generate lumens more than my stock DST.

I’m thinking this new triple, with the 3 lithiums could be a good performer.

That does look like a nice light. Probably 3S3P. Wish the would go 4S2P instead for higher voltage. But like you said, I seems like a good like to mod for li-ion cells. I'm with you, price is too high at this moment.

Can you extrapolate further on that 2 18650 parallel mod please?

Not sure if this will help WarHawk. Here is the were I first thought of that parallel mod.

Here is were dchomak first made a much improved version of that mod.

Lowes on Harbison Blvd in Columbia, SC has some new lights today. My old school phone doesn't take pictures.

One is a triple-emitter Utilitech that looks pretty nice and is $40. Can't find it online.

Never mind, It uses 9 AA's and is in Post 31 above.

The other is familiar from last year. I really like the look of these, but not the price.

Agreed, they would have been much better powered by 3xAA cells. I don't know what's in manufacturers' heads trying to power everything in the world with AAA's. :Sp

Totally agree. 4AA even better, but 26650's fit in that light nicely if you cut the tail off the pill. It's just over priced.

Those were originally $10! Wonder if they still sell?

They'll have a blowout sale for $13.99.

It has that finicky switch too where you have to bang around the light to get it to work!

-Garry